Any one else having a howling problem with the rear tire?. when cornering the sidewall makes some serious noise! I have about 6k miles on the tires,they are both E-3s air pressure is 39r/36f. just wondering if may be I have some thing going on?:bluesbrother:

Yup I have noticed the same with mine. It has given me thoughts of changing tread patterns/tires when I need to. Also as per suggestions from members here I am running 40 front 41 rear.

I run an E3 on the rear of my 86 sidecar rig for weight capacity and the amount of rubber on the road. Great traction in corners and good wear chareteristics. Never noticed an abnormal noise from the tire. I have an E3 on order as a replacement for the front E2, for installation next week.

Has anyone had a failure with the E3's in either location? :think:

Guest scarylarry

Yes but they are not as loud a brickstone...

I had great mileage out of them but notice the howling at around 5k...

Debating on rather to put them on my others bike now since the OEM are shot...

I have noticed this noise on every 'multi-coumpound' tire I have run. Currently have the same roar in the twisties with Michelin PR2 radials on the FJR... Also had them on the Venture and E3s...

:biker:

Fairly new E3's on my Wing and yes they get a bit noise over time yet they hold up really good! never had any issues with them other than being noise as they wear down.

Avon tires do it as well.....

Buddy

The other thing I notice about 'Multi-compound' tires is the harder center compound is a little slippery on hot dry pavement. I've had the back end slip around on me a couple times on the E3s and PR2s. Never happened with the Venoms. Of course I don't 'dog it' like most of you old guys... :duck:

Spend a little more time in the twisties. It will quite right down. OK, maybe not. But you won't care as much.

RR

Mine do the same thing when I hit the mountains after riding straight for way too long.

The E3 is the noisiest tire I've ever used on any motorcycle. I'm very finicky when it comes to howling noises. Usually, tires get noisier as they age, as the tread wears unevenly. But the last set of E3 I had was a set of howlers from DAY ONE.

Motorcycle tires are handmade, so I understand. This probably explains the wide variation from one tire to the next. Why one set of E3s is noisier than another set of E3s.

The E3 is a good tire. Lasts a fairly long time. Add the tire howl to the clutch whine, and you get a double whammy of noise. That's why I've gone back to D404s, which are among the quietest tires I've ever used.