IGNORED

Snakes are out!!

Yammer Dan

Today has been a bummer all the way around!! Came in for another break. Garage stuff not going well this morning. Warden walked into the bedroom and heard a noise and saw a picture starting to fall off the dresser. Tried to grab it and found herself nose to nose with a 5' blacksnake!!! I hate snakes!! Scared me and I was watching from next room!! Put my welding gloves on and took him outside!! He didn't seem to mind. I didn't care for it. I was looking for gun in headboard of bed when I first saw him. Warden may not have liked that in her new bedroom suite. What makes a blacksnake have the stripes on it? It was a blacksnake but had faint strips showing on it. When he was in dark corner first thought was Copperhead!! Now that we know our hearts are working......

well, that's life in the country. we have snakes all the time. we have had one in the attic since we bought the house and left it alone as it kept the mouse population under control. we find one or two a yr in the house some where. on the porch - in the chicken yard, we teach the grandkids and their moms what kind o snake it is. the non poisonous we keep alive and the poisonous ones are dead for show n tell. in south central louisiana we have a lot of both. thousands of acres of rice fields all around us keep nature brewing.

Today has been a bummer all the way around!! Came in for another break. Garage stuff not going well this morning. Warden walked into the bedroom and heard a noise and saw a picture starting to fall off the dresser. Tried to grab it and found herself nose to nose with a 5' blacksnake!!! I hate snakes!! Scared me and I was watching from next room!! Put my welding gloves on and took him outside!! He didn't seem to mind. I didn't care for it. I was looking for gun in headboard of bed when I first saw him. Warden may not have liked that in her new bedroom suite. What makes a blacksnake have the stripes on it? It was a blacksnake but had faint strips showing on it. When he was in dark corner first thought was Copperhead!! Now that we know our hearts are working......

Dan, Dan, Dan...

What are you? A newby? You know the rule.

Where's the pictures..... Sheez :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Trader:

Not sure about down your way but up here they are a protected species.

Great snakes are protected but bikers are fair game. what the.........:confused24:

Best kind of snake is a dead one. My standard answer when wife asks me what kind of bug etc it is. A dead one.

I had some idiot stop right in front of me, get out of his car in the middle of rush hour traffic and move a snake out of the road so it would not get hit. Needless to say I was not a happy camper sitting in the middle of a six lane road with cars all around me screaching to a stop to avoid this idiot.

I don't mess with the Black snakes. I know for a fact they eat Copperheads. It was a blacksnake. I've seen the stripes on them before. In a dark place they remind you of a rattler. Scarey. We don't bother them around the house but just wasn't expecting him to be there!!

I remember survival training in the service, told us tastes like chicken, NOT!!! didn't taste too bad but that was no chicken I've ever eaten before or since. We were taugtht poisonous snakes have triangular shaped heads and non poisonous snakes have spoon shaped heads.

Make sure you trim the bushes by your house and keep them away from the house, snakes like bushes, wood piles... Get some great stuff and seal around any plumbing, wiring ... that comes in your house. Snakes eat mice and bugs so your goal is to remove their food source and you will have less opportunity to see them.

Guest scarylarry

What little raising I had on a farm we was taught to leave the black snakes alone, they will kill and keep poisonous snakes away...

I own a ball python and it will only eat live animals, so the mice and baby rabbits must be brought home alive or she will not touch it...

As for poisonous I'm not sure that they keep them away like a black snake does..

What little raising I had on a farm we was taught to leave the black snakes alone, they will kill and keep poisonous snakes away...

I own a ball python and it will only eat live animals, so the mice and baby rabbits must be brought home alive or she will not touch it...

As for poisonous I'm not sure that they keep them away like a black snake does..

I turned him(her) loose outside. Would rather it stays around we used to have more than our share of copperheads. A copperhead is a Mean snake. Most will run if given a chance copperheads won't. Blacksnakes eat them. I've seen it.

http://wildlife.blurtit.com/q677347.html

like this......one of these found itself in our yard

David

That is a Garder Snake we call them. We used to play with them when I was around twelve year old and lived in Mansfield,Ohio. Dan's friend is definitely a black snake. Like him, I see the light brown rings around the snake and have wondered the same thing. Speaking of Ohio, I have hunted in Ohio and fished up there for many years. I do not ever remember seeing any other snake besides a garder snake.

Dan I would go off to find a snake in the house, especially a five footer. My wife and I went to town once and left our front door open with just the screen door shut, had a crack at the bottom. Twenty years ago you could do that and not have to worry about a thing here where I live. Well, we returned from the grocery store and I went in first and there was a green snake, about two foot long, in our front room. I went for the gun to shoot it inside the house and wife went for the broom and she ran it out the door before I got back. She knew I would shoot it inside the house. So I am totally fearful of a snake.

Fuzzy :whistling:

Hannah (wife, who is from Ireland) was at the top of the yard two days ago. She was gathering and tieing the limbs of a butterfly bush to keep them from dragging on the ground. A little garter snake about 10 inches long wrapped around her wrist. In amongst the branches and leaves of the bush she did not notice until she stepped back. :yikes: Wow!!! she is 70 years old we've been married 42 years and I had no idea she could scream that loud, sling her arm that violently and move that fast from the top of the yard down to deck!! :Laugh:. That poor little snake musta been slung 30 yards before hitting the ground!