IGNORED

Trailers Push You

Guest Jammin'John

Guest Jammin'John

I just hit a deer while pulling a CycleMate 2000LTD.

I could not scrub off enough speed before impact & the trailer kept pushing me and the bike off the road.

I felt very helpless & I got hurt bad & totalled the bike !

Trailers make your bikes stopping distance increase a lot and increase your chances of getting hurt or killed !

JJ

JJ, sorry to hear about your accident, but you are correct about the trailer causing increased stopping distance. I towed a trailer from PA to FL this year. We all need to exercise extra attention when pulling a trailer. We have a Bushtec Turbo II, it handles well. Hope you recover asap.

Will:080402gudl_prv:

I just hit a deer while pulling a CycleMate 2000LTD.

I could not scrub off enough speed before impact & the trailer kept pushing me and the bike off the road.

I felt very helpless & I got hurt bad & totalled the bike !

Trailers make your bikes stopping distance increase a lot and increase your chances of getting hurt or killed !

JJ

sorry to hear that, pal. hope you get well soon.

Sorry to hear about your accedent.:( Just wondering, You can set up trailer brakes for a pickup or car that makes the trailer help you stop. Can that be done on a motorcycle? Sorry, Redneck ain't here to answere my stupid question. Just didn't know if the same thing can be applied.:confused24:

Sorry to hear that. Glad your still with us. A simular thing happened to Black Owl last year. I have read about electric powered hydrali brakes that apply a limited braking force to the trailer to help conteract the extra weight. You really have to be careful with trailer brakes because they could cause an accident if they apply too much brake force.

And this would be the reason I wouldn't be pulling a trailer. There are a lot of times while riding the bike you need to stop quickly or at least slow down pretty fast due to someone pulling out in front of you etc. You definitely don't need 500 lbs plus pushing you down the road.

This is not to say anything about balanced loads, tongue weight etc.

Glad you are still around to tell the story but I don't think you were ever see me pulling a trailer, but you never know if someone comes up with a good braking system it just might happen.

Jerry

Sorry to hear about your accedent.:( Just wondering, You can set up trailer brakes for a pickup or car that makes the trailer help you stop. Can that be done on a motorcycle? Sorry, Redneck ain't here to answere my stupid question. Just didn't know if the same thing can be applied.:confused24:

wolfie, i haven't checked, but i see no reason, that 12 volt brakes couldnt be incorporated into use ,with a luggage trailer.

they are only electromagnetic brakes that "energise" when 12 volts are applied.

you're welcome "redneck"!

lol

just jt

JJ, Sorry to hear about your crash. I hope you recover soon and get back on a new bike.

Trailers do add to your stopping distance and that is why I bought a Unigo trailer. It is smaller than the others so my wife can't take the kitchen sink. If I had a trailer that would carry 400 lbs it would be loaded and pushing me. The Unigo at about 150 lbs loaded doesn't push too bad.

DT

Man John, I'm sorry to hear you were hurt. I hope you heal quickly (and the doc keeps you on some good "don't care" pills!!). I saw your post on too many deer in your area. Was that before or after your encounter? Either way it sucks; and it's a potent reminder that we really have to stay alert.

I know that all of us here will be praying for your speedy, and pain free recovery.

:thumbsup2:

And this would be the reason I wouldn't be pulling a trailer. There are a lot of times while riding the bike you need to stop quickly or at least slow down pretty fast due to someone pulling out in front of you etc. You definitely don't need 500 lbs plus pushing you down the road.

Jerry

If you're pulling 500 pounds you had better have trailer brakes.

Guest Jammin'John

I was commin' home from work (playin' music),pullin' all my gear when the deer came out !

I have a broken nose,cheekbone,tailbone,4 ribbs,twisted ankles & wrists,no skin on the back of my right hand (right through the glove).

They say I will heal, and I may, but I'm scared.

This is the seventh deer I have hit and the worst deer crash.

I was hit by a SUV from behind last year.

The DEC doesn't seem to care about motorcyclists.

Most of my crashes have been at night.

And yes.......... I BOUGHT A NEW BIKE !

JJ

JJ, glad to hear you will recover. As we all know (but still don't listen) dusk,dawn & night are the most dangerous times. I have hit (2) here in PA, but it was with trucks. Deer go goofy this tme of year w/ rut & hunting season plus all the development going on at the same time. All we can do is ride as carefully as we can. Remember early this year Larry Grodski, safety writer for rider magazine was killed when he hit a deer at night in Texas. It can happen to anyone, just take care.:sick:

Guest StevieMac

Glad you're ok. For sure adding the weight of a trailer will increase your stopping distance; it's pretty simple physics.

Some camper trailers like the Bunkhouse and Aspen are available with optional electric brakes.

Everything that I have read does not recommend brakes on trailers behind motorcycles. The reason is that it could actually cause loss of controll due to changes in loading of the trailer hitch. In my experience with electric brakes I have noticed that the brakes never seem to apply equally. It would be better to lighten the load. Using the rule of thumb applied to commercial vehicles would be a good practice. The trailer needs brakes if it exceeds 40 percent of the weight of the tow vehicle. An 800 pound bike would pull a trailer weighing no more than 320 pounds. That would even be a hard push in emergency situations. Increase following distance, slow down. The only other thing maybe you could do is maximize brake performance on the bike. Good ridin and be safe out there.

If you're pulling 500 pounds you had better have trailer brakes.

I think most mc utility trailers are only 150 lbs or so empty. (My homemade wooden trailer is only 160#) So I think you'd be hard pressed to get one up to 500 pounds. Maybe with a load of firewood or something. I pulled mine full of camping gear and 2 coolers (1 inside, 1 on the tounge) for 5671 miles this summer. The only thing I had to do was increase the tounge weight for stability. Since I couldn't really do any better with repacking the trailer, I pulled a 20 lb rock out of a creek in Colorado and tied it on the tounge! That settled it down. Other than that, you just have to ride like you are invisible and have no brakes!

And no, I wasn't at that Restaraunt in NM for the margaritas (it was too early). But I did have some excelent Huevos Rancheros with green chile sauce!

And JJ, I'm glad to hear you got a new bike. You gotta get back on that horse! What did you get? I hope you were smart and bought a 1st Gen! :stirthepot:

Hey Jammin, Sorry to hear about your accident. Scares the stuffing out of you. I know.....we hit a bear and totalled our

06 RSTD......so I understand where your coming from. We weren't pulling a trailer but both me and the wife were on the bike. Anyways.....get better soon, and get back on the bike...... good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure what the issue is with Electric Trailer Brakes as long as they are not the Surge type! I had Dexter 12 VDC brakes on my Combi-camp way back and they worked the cat's a--! The controller was in the saddle bag and they worked off a switch on the right controls under the throttle or off the brake lights. The emergency stop was disabled and they had a small time delay so they would not come on hard when applied. With it set up this way they would not let the trailer push you when stopping. I had used them on many winding roads ( Grand Tetons - Logan's Pass - Snake River Gourge) and I could ride as if I didn't have a trailer! I have done emgergency stops both in a straight line and in corners at Speed ( 70 - 80 MPH) deer related and one big Moose with no problems. In the rain it was better to use the Trailer brakes first then modulate the bike brakes.

Also, if the trailer brakes would lock up the bike would act as if you had the biggest boat anchor and drag the bike down to a halt.

rewindgy , you mentioned surge brakes . Are they a No No , or what ? I have surge brakes on my double axle boat trailer . Boat and trailer are a hair over 3,500 lbs and being pulled with my '04 F-150 4x4 . I feel very little push when braking soft or hard . How do scooter react to surge brakes compared to electric ?

JJ , I wish you well to a healthy , speedy recovery !

Gene