IGNORED

Tires .... I know, I'm sorry....

Stache

Brought my beast in yesterday for the spring service. I'm planning a road trip next month and when we looked it over the service guy and I agreed the the stock rear (11000km) was looking a bit iffy for a long run.

He had a pair of venoms in stock, and I said "Sure, why not." When I picked it up that afternoon I took it for a run to get the 'new' off the tires. OMG! I've never been willing to push the beast hard because it felt heavy in the turns, a little squirelly. Within 10 minutes I was taking lean angles I'd never dared with it before and the thing was running like it was on rails. I actually managed to touch a floorboard to the road. Felt like the v-star 950 I traded in for it... It's a completely different bike.

I know I've restarted the tire brand debate,but I had to say it.... I'm REALLY impressed with the venoms.

I'll let you know how the durability works out, but the first impression is amazing.

Venoms rule the twisties!

Great tire year round. I've only had one moment on wet roads that gave me the willies but that was my bad. Backed off the throttle and it hooked right back up.

I got just a hair under 25,000 miles off my last set, front had more left but the rear....had to go.

Just make sure you get them good and scuffed up before you trust them too far. They stay pretty slick on the chicken strips for a few hundred miles.

Mike

You will love the Avon's............I have been using them for years......I'm shocked that someone on the rock actually had a set. I priced a rear the other day at the local "New" Yammie dealer and they wanted $275 not installed....I was able to get one in N.B. for $168.

Keith

OMG! I've never been willing to push the beast hard because it felt heavy in the turns, a little squirelly. Within 10 minutes I was taking lean angles I'd never dared with it before and the thing was running like it was on rails. I actually managed to touch a floorboard to the road.

I was the same way. Avons changed the world on my RSTD. 5k miles later and I still find myself swerving right and left in my lane on long slab rides just to feel how well rounded my tires feel on the road. Never was amazed like that with Bridgestones or Metzlers.

• 2 weeks later...
Brought my beast in yesterday for the spring service. I'm planning a road trip next month and when we looked it over the service guy and I agreed the the stock rear (11000km) was looking a bit iffy for a long run.

He had a pair of venoms in stock, and I said "Sure, why not." When I picked it up that afternoon I took it for a run to get the 'new' off the tires. OMG! I've never been willing to push the beast hard because it felt heavy in the turns, a little squirelly. Within 10 minutes I was taking lean angles I'd never dared with it before and the thing was running like it was on rails. I actually managed to touch a floorboard to the road. Felt like the v-star 950 I traded in for it... It's a completely different bike.

I know I've restarted the tire brand debate,but I had to say it.... I'm REALLY impressed with the venoms.

I'll let you know how the durability works out, but the first impression is amazing.

If I may steal this thread...anyone out there have Kenda Kruz on a 1st Gen? I had them on my Virago and felt the same way as Stache so I bought a set for the Venture.

What size do I need for my 88?

If I just get the size off my 404s would it be the same?

I want to go with venoms.

I figure I'll buy a set and get them installed stateside...should be a LOT cheaper.

Any recommendations as to where I can get them?

I guess I'd be looking at the Eastern part of NY...Watertown?

I'm hoping to ride down, get them installed and ride back.

I'd arrange it for Don's MD but I can't get there this year due to scheduling conflicts!

Trader,

Avon has a good web site that tells you the tire size AND the recomended air pressure. However, because I recently bought 2 rear Avons, I can tell you the rear size is 140/90-16.

Frank D.

I replaced my Avon Venoms with the new Michelin Commander IIs (my Venom rear tire was part of the lot that had cracking sidewalls) and I have loved the change. Don't know if the perceived improvement in handling was from the narrower front tire or from the tread design/tire compound. Note that Michelin does not make the Commander II in the 150/80-16 front tire size yet, so went with 130/90-16 front. I've put about 1,500 miles on them now, and have loved the way they have improved my feel for the bike. I know that many of the earlier posts I've read claimed that the narrower front had a tendency to wander, follow tar snakes, and generally degrade handling. This has NOT been my experience. In fact, I have looked for and intentionally driven over obstacles such as tar snakes and the Commander II has shown no tendency to wander or follow the snake. It was my experience that my wider Avon Venoms had a much greater tendency to want to follow these road irregularities. I have not had the opportunity to drive over surfaces such as bridge grating, but in all conditions I have confronted in my riding (including rain) the Commander II's have performed admirably. Final note, the Avon Venoms were a HUGE improvement over the Bridgestones that were the original equipment, but I have to say that I am very pleased with my change to the Michelin Commander II's.

• 2 months later...
If I may steal this thread...anyone out there have Kenda Kruz on a 1st Gen? I had them on my Virago and felt the same way as Stache so I bought a set for the Venture.

I have a Kenda Kruz on the back of my 1st gen (85). PO had it installed about 100 miles before I bought the bike. I don't baby my ride but I've never smoked the rear tire either. Felt a little loose around right hand curves recently so I checked the rear end. Kenda Kruz had seperated in the tread with slighty more than 6000 miles on it. Never did like the tread pattern. Had a light howl in corners due to uneven tread blocks.