IGNORED

1984 ( old goats bike )

Hello ,

First off let me say that I believe that Old Goat is a stand up guy and that he told me everything he knew about the bike good and bad ...

Question #1

I put some seafoam/gas into the bike started it up so the seafom would get into the carbs to maybe help out .. It ran for a bit and noticed the temp gauge didn't move .. the fan never came on ... then I noticed the the antifreeze come from underneath..(over heating ).. so i pulled the knob located next to the ignition.. the fan came on.. I have removed all the plastic from the bike ...

where the temp gauge is there is a green/red stripe wire ,a black wire and a brown coming from the back of the temp gauge ..

I tracked the green/red striped wire to the sending unit it was hooked up..

where the sending unit screws in there was a black wire with a male end that was screwed into the piece that the sending unit screws screws into was not hooked up.. I looked around and found another black wire (same gauge wire) with female end .

( the male end and the female looked factory)

should these be hooked together ? Is this the ground for the gauge?

also there was a blue wire that came out the same place as the green/red stripe wire .. it is hooked to a black wire ( not factory i don't think ) that goes to the knob i pulled to start the fan..

If i plug the black wires together will this make the temp gauge work? And is there a way I can test without starting bike ?

Question #2

if you were standing at the side of the bike looking at the engine .. Between the back and the front set of cylinders there is a oblong piece of metal (don't know name ) That has hoses running to it..

On this piece of metal looks like a metal tube sticking up from it nothing attached ... Right above it is a hose (seems to be 3/8 ) that looks like it should attach to it ...

Should these two be attached ? ...

I'm going to replace all the hoses and clean all contact points .. since i have it this far apart.. I will have plenty of more dumb questions for you in time .. A big thanks to all that take the time to respond..

From what I can see on my 85 There are two wires to the sending unit the ground is screwed to the radiator coupling with a male female connector in the wire the other wire connects to the sending unit

Skydoc calls that the dog bone. One of the houses attaches to the radiator and the other (I believe ) attaches to the carbs. One of the hoses you mentioned should be attached to that piece The one from the radiator that is the farthest to the right . I'm not sure if the other is necessary of not it may be a vacuum line others will know about this. I'm still learning as I'm disassembling my 85.

I'm parting out my 85 if theres something you might need just ask. Good luck.

Sounds like the oblong section you describe is what we call the "twinkie". The nipple sticking out of the top is the crankcase breaher. There is a black hose that attaches to the bottom of the plastic air box that drops down through the carb rack and attaches to the nipple. This sucks up fumes from to crankcase back into the intake system and burns them off.

Getting that hose to fit is a trick most times. It gets hard and stiff and loses its flex. A set of 11" long nose pliers is the easy way out.

This is a notice of an upgrade done the that hose and the drain hose from the air box to give you an idea of the set up.

Mike

:2BLUE:

i dida second look.. there is two screw type sending units screwed into the radiator coupler. one to the outside has the green/red stripe hooked to it ( round style terminal)

One unit closer to engine has a blade type terminal with no wire hooked to it... I see no wire available to hook to it???? does this need to be hooked up to get the fan/temp gauge to work?

chuck this is old goat. last year a hose blew on the bike i did replace all the hoses. but they where used.

the fan switch was on the bike when i bought it. but i never ever had to use it?

and the guage always did work? in my haste to fix the bike. i could have missed a hook up? when i pulled it out of a storage unit. it was over 90 degress out side. and a member here drove it home for me. about 2.5 miles in that hot degree day. with out turning on the fan switch. and she did not over heat. the radiator that is on it now is a good one i got from a member here. and the one i gave you was fixed and is in great shape as well. i know i hooked up all the hoses correct. and i might have missed something to the gauge? but when you came to see the bike and i fired it for you the gauge did move. just a little? but i did use a used sending unit. and it could be faulty. i hope the used hose did not blow. but in the boxes of extra stuff is 2 more used hoses. i would go new but i saw where napa had close to what is needed new and they can be made to fit. i am sure this all can be fixed. the memebers here will help you. as will I as much as i can.

sincerly oldgoat.

The 84 has a fan relay on it. The coil has a switched 12V+ to it and negative side runs through the sensor with the spade lug terminal (Blue/Green).

The bullet type terminal (Green/Red) feeds 12V- through a variable thermistor to the gauge.

There is a second bullet connector (Black) on the housing that grounds it.

Gary

after reading dingy,s post.. chuck i think i might have missed that black bullet connector on hook up? im not sure where the anti frezze is comming from/ unless its out the over flow? did a hose let lose? there are great people here chuck. and dingy is one of the best. as are many others here. trust them they will have you on the road. when i fixed it last year i did notice that the PO hooked that fan switch to what looked like a temp sensor? and when i got the used hoses i used the used sensors that came with the hoses. it was a simple plug and hook up for me. after fixing it i ran the bike in the storage unit on ahot day for 20 minutes with out turning that switch on. and the guage moved back then? then i pput the plastic back on and tightened a small hose to the overflow tank. i could have hit the black wire and it became dissconected?

sounds to me chuck that i did not hook the 2 black wires for ground back up. the male and female ones your talking about indeed where hooked together before i fixed it. i must have pulled them apart again when i had to retighten the small hose for the over flow. im not much of a gabbling man but i would bet that,s what happened.

Welcome to the nuthouse

where the sending unit screws in there was a black wire with a male end that was screwed into the piece that the sending unit screws screws into was not hooked up.. I looked around and found another black wire (same gauge wire) with female end .

Yes, green/red is the sensor wire for the gauge. To test, with power on, apply either open or ground to this wire, gauge should be zero(open), max(grd). The sense unit with bullet connections should be a variable resistor that you could mointor resistance change during warmup. The other sense unit with spade connector should be a temp switch that will normally be open, and will close at set temp, would require removal and place in boiling water to test switch closing.

YES

also there was a blue wire that came out the same place as the green/red stripe wire .. it is hooked to a black wire ( not factory i don't think ) that goes to the knob i pulled to start the fan..

This should be going to the ground side of the fan relay coil. Appears PO bypassed with a switch, maybe relay also bypassed???

If i plug the black wires together will this make the temp gauge work? And is there a way I can test without starting bike ?

yes it should, see testing above

Question #1

I put some seafoam/gas into the bike started it up so the seafom would get into the carbs to maybe help out .. It ran for a bit and noticed the temp gauge didn't move .. the fan never came on ... then I noticed the the antifreeze come from underneath..(over heating ).. so i pulled the knob located next to the ignition.. the fan came on.. I have removed all the plastic from the bike ...

where the temp gauge is there is a green/red stripe wire ,a black wire and a brown coming from the back of the temp gauge ..

I just did this dance with my VR. There are two sensors mounted inline with the top radiator hose. One is the temperature sending unit and the other is the fan switch. Because they are isolated from ground, you must connect the black wire like you did. The temp gauge should work now. The knob you found could be a fan over ride switch to force the fan to run when in traffic. I may put an over ride on mine . . . :080402gudl_prv: