IGNORED

Fork mechanic needed

RePeter

I have read some much and learned a ton on this site.

I live in the Metro Vancouver, BC area and have 99 RSV suffering from leaking forks. I have them out on the floor and have purchased all the replaceable seals, bushings, oil, as well as new progressive springs.

Now work got super busy for me so I'm worried about getting the forks rebuilt in time for riding season. Yes, I'm a little intimidated too. Does anyone know a decent mechanic that can rebuild these for me so that I can get them back into the bike in the next few weeks?

I don'd mind paying, I just want it done right since it was quite a bit of work getting them out and I have no desire to do it again.

Much appreciated!

Peter

Edited by RePeter
clarification

Thanks Larry.

Let me see what else develops.

I already imported the parts from the US and now to carry them back across the border and ship them to you might raise some eyebrows at CBSA. The bike sure likes sitting on your lift adapter although I much prefer it with the wheels on the ground ready to roll. :322:

I'm in the middle of the same project, and at the same point as you. Parts should be here today. I plan on having everything back together by this weekend. Just take your time, do a couple of steps a day. you will get there. This is my first fork rebuild and yes it is a little scary. But it is doable. I am also doing this on a 99 RSV. So if you have any questions just PM me. Talk about the blind leading the blind.:yikes:

Repeter, Just in case you decide to continue on with the fork rebuild, I thought I would bring you up to date on my rebuild progress. Today I replaced all of the internal guide rings,the seals and dust cover. I installed the progressive springs and cut the pvc preload spacers as per progressive instructions. Only think left is to fill the forks with oil. Before I do that I have to wait 2 more days for the drain bolts to come in from yamaha. I have to replace them, I stripped the heads when I tried to remove them by hand. Need to use an impact wrench for this part. I plan to reassemble the front end this weekend. It's not as bad a job as I thought if would be. Waiting for all the parts to come in is the biggest pain in the a$$. If I had everything here I could have done this in a weekend. It would also have helped if there were more info on this project here on the site. There is a lot about the 1st gen forks, but not much for the second gen. Its the same basic idea, but the internal parts are not all the same. Anyhow, if you need any help just PM me.

• 3 weeks later...
A huge thank you to StuD for rebuilding my forks!

Now I can get them back on this weekend and hopefully be ready to ride when the sun comes back.

Great... glad he was able to do them for you (as I figgured he would) ! We need to hook up one weekend now for a ride!