IGNORED

Diff Oil....

Cougar

Anybody , look at these pics and tell me if this is normal

the oil build up under the diff please. :confused24:

Seems to me I use to see this on my old 59 Chevy LOL

But is it normal after 3 years on the Trike?

The second pic is running my finger nail on it to show how much.

Jeff

[ATTACH]64918[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]64919[/ATTACH]

:cool: now the plug is pulled , but the rear is jacked up about 20% angle stick

the old finger in there and I do not feel any oil.. maybe cuz it is at an angle?

I do have some Amzoil Transaxle Lube SAE 75W-90 API GL-4 Laying around.

wonder if I should just add some until it comes out?:think:

I will wait for the experts opinions first :D HELP !!

the old finger in there and I do not feel any oil.. maybe cuz it is at an angle?

It should be level when you fill it or check it,,,, not good to overfill.

looks like I am talking to myself today, OK from the bottom of the Diff

it is 6 inches to the add-plug , bike is level now and I could not feel it with my

finger still, I did stick a tie wrap into the hole and the oil is clean and smells good

the tie wrap hit the oil at about 2 inches in. thanks for your help today Mike.

Hey Jeff,

That Differential is vented, and I would say that this rear end is getting "wound tighter" by you V4 engine then it ever did in a car. You need to find out what car this rear end came out of and then search for a manual to see how full it needs to be AND the type of oil that goes in it. It would be a very expensive mistake to put the wrong type of oil in that rear end just to save a few bucks. I would also check the Valve Covers to see if oil is weeping from them, and blowing back on the Differential Cover. Lastly, check the oil level sight glass for the engine, (on the right side of the bike, down by the water pump, if the oil level of the engine is above half way, (overfilled) then engine oil could be leaking past the seal for the drive shaft yoke, and getting on the Differential cover. It doesn't take much oil to collect a LOT of dirt. My guess is Differential Lube from the vent is collecting on the Differential Cover. BUT it is wise to check the other items as well. I keep a small notebook on my bike for particulars about the items I have done mods on because the regular service manual is no longer correct for the mods I have done. Make a note of the origin of the rear end, the fill level, and the type of gear oil for next time.

Earl

Thanks Much Earl. Yes my site glass last year showed at the (TOP) line

so I am betting that is coming from the middle tubes. I have changed the

oil since the Stator Mod and it is now half way.... these photos are from last

years riding.

The tube/vent coming out of the top of the diff is in front of the oil mess

and that area is clean and clear. back of diff toward the front of the bike

is covered in dry oil.. the rear of the diff is still very clean.

Now for the kind of Diff. It is a Thunderbird rear end diff .

Jeff

Ok, we had a very long and intense discussion on trike talk about this very thing. It seems that most trike rearends are mounted up side down. When they are filled at initial installation, they are filled with the amount of lube that is recommended by the manufacturer when installed in a car. So if it calls for 3 qts when in a car the oil level should be about 1/4" below the fill hole. but when installed up side down it will be out the reach of your finger. However we have found that if you fill it to just below the fill hole is will still be ok and should not cause any problems. If it is over filled you will get some blow by from the vent tube, this is ok. If you fill to the fill hole it is probably better for your wheel bearings. most of us with ford rearends are filling them to with in 1/4" of the fill hole with no problems. Now with that said, I still don't know what that stuff is on our trike.

Thanks very much Bob, now that makes since why the fill hole is up

so damn high then... 6 inches from the bottom. and the oil level is

2 inches from the hole so maybe adding the half Qt I have left would

bring it to about an inch from the hole.... I do have an email sent to

Jim G at Hannigans now. won't hear back from him until tomorrow sometime.

telling him what is going on and what type oil the recommend for the diff.

Thanks so much for your info about it being up-side down..

Jeff

Bob, that stuff on the front of the diff is oil that is about 1/6 inch think and not wet

I am REALLY thinking it was from the engine oil vent tubes now, as I had the oil up to the top line and did not notice that before. so I will be cleaning all that oil off and keeping an eye out in that area the next few months and with the bikes proper oil level at the half way mark in the site glass.

Since your rearend is independent suspenion I recommend you go with what ever Hannigan calls for. I have a solid axcel rearend. They may have a reason for not filling all the way to the fill hole. I think your right to think the oil on your rearend came from somewhere else.

All Hannigan Trikes use a 7.5 inch Ford Thunderbird differential with 2.73 gears. I would find out what ford recommends and use what's spec'ed . I'd say it should be to the bottom of the hole. You don't need to worry about overfilling and blowing out seals because the housing is vented. You can see the vent tube coming off the top left of the pumpkin.

Edited by ragtop69gs

Just a thought: you might want to keep the oil level high enough so that oil can flow into the axles for wheel bearing lubrication.

This is the problem we we're talking about over on trike talk. If you go with manufacter spec's there may not be enough oil in the rear to properly lube the axle bearings.

Absolutely NOT That will make a horrible God Awful Mess underneath!!!!!! That is a Thunderbird rear end mounted upside down. The fluid level should be just about an inch below the hole. Use a wire or a zip tie to check the level. If ya fill it up it will blow out all over every thing, and make one of the biggest messes you will ever have to clean up................

The residue that I see in the photos looks normal to me for the time on the kit. If it is actually leaking there would be spots on the floor when parked for a week or less, or a lot more messy than what you have,,,,, JMO

This is what I needed to hear George. THANKS BUNCHES!!!:clap2:

George. everything looks fine under there and there are no leaks.

and yes this month is 3 years on the trike.

My thinking , I did have the oil on site glass up to the top line

and thinking that maybe that oil came from the tubes under

the middle of the bike... Another thing I noticed is that when

I put 3 Qts of oil in it will go to the TOP LINE on the site glass

and everyone has been saying they have to add 3.5 qts.

So I figured maybe the bike level is different when triked? :think:

so if I drain out a half Qt or so I will only have about 2.5 Qts in the engine.

You have been a great help today, THANKS!

Jeff