IGNORED

I went to court..

Owen

Things I learned as a potential juror today:

1. As a potential juror, I do NOT have the right to say. "I object!":confused07:

2. I do NOT have the right to say, "hearsay, your honor!".:confused07:

3. Healthfood stores are dens of left-wing feminists (I learned this from the defense attorney).:confused07:

4. I do NOT have the abilty to tell if people are guilty by looking at them.:confused07:

I was not selected, but I would have made an excellent juror, I think. :rolleyes:

I was seated on a jury a few weeks ago, interesting to say the least.

You start the day @ 9:30 a 20 min break @ 10:45 and then a 1 ½ hr lunch @ noon a break at 2:00 and done for the day @ 4:00 .

This was a running from a police officer and that is a felony in Minnesota. I was the only person that rides a motorcycle and I convinced the other jurors that he wasn’t running. I was late at night and he was drunk and the Harley made a lot of noise. They had him for the DUI but the state did not prove he was running. He signaled his turns and was driving fast, well as fast as a Harley will go (85 / 90) this all started because of a wide turn at a stop sign. These big bikes are hard to handle at slow speeds and the dash cam proved it.

I was seated on a jury a few weeks ago, interesting to say the least.

You start the day @ 9:30 a 20 min break @ 10:45 and then a 1 ½ hr lunch @ noon a break at 2:00 and done for the day @ 4:00 .

This was a running from a police officer and that is a felony in Minnesota. I was the only person that rides a motorcycle and I convinced the other jurors that he wasn’t running. I was late at night and he was drunk and the Harley made a lot of noise. They had him for the DUI but the state did not prove he was running. He signaled his turns and was driving fast, well as fast as a Harley will go (85 / 90) this all started because of a wide turn at a stop sign. These big bikes are hard to handle at slow speeds and the dash cam proved it.

That is just about right....What you don't know is what is going on while you are taking all those breaks......Most Judges who handle criminal matters have quite a large calendar.......Can't forget all the other matters just because of a trial ...and there are always a lot of legal issues that arise during a trial that jurors never know about.............Its not a perfect system, but I'd rather have a DA have to prove that I'm guilty, than "ME" having the burdon of proving that I'm innocent:usa:

I was "called to serve" once. I worked for a mom and pop operation so if I sat on a jury I was not going to get paid (wife 4 kids and a morgage at home). You bet I was thinking of all the lame excuses including the owner of the company gave me a letter telling the judge it was heating season and the company would never survive without one of its most valued employees. Day one... murder case... not too many of those around here then.... waited for my number to be called.... never did. Day 2 a local drug case.... nothing too abnormal around here. They had 6 jurors and 5 of us left in the room.... odds against. I was 2nd to last called. Judge asked if there was any reason I should not serve..... yes sir.... I have 3 close family members that are local LEO.... one is in local "street crimes" division...... back to work I go!

I was "called to serve" once. I worked for a mom and pop operation so if I sat on a jury I was not going to get paid (wife 4 kids and a morgage at home). You bet I was thinking of all the lame excuses including the owner of the company gave me a letter telling the judge it was heating season and the company would never survive without one of its most valued employees. Day one... murder case... not too many of those around here then.... waited for my number to be called.... never did. Day 2 a local drug case.... nothing too abnormal around here. They had 6 jurors and 5 of us left in the room.... odds against. I was 2nd to last called. Judge asked if there was any reason I should not serve..... yes sir.... I have 3 close family members that are local LEO.... one is in local "street crimes" division...... back to work I go!

In NY, even police serve on jurys.............Here if your employer doesn't pay you, The state of NY does....not much...$45.00 a day....IN NY, IF YOUR EMPLOYER HAS 10 OR MORE EMPLOYEES...THEY MUST PAY YOU ....Also if you are not picked that day for a jury, usually your service is done for 8 years..............

Edited by BIG TOM

true story.....Had a defendant take the stand on his own behalf and tell the jury that the witness against him was lying about recognizing him ...He told the jury that the witness could not of seen his face because "HE" was wearing a mask at the time of the robbery....:fnd_(16):

true story.....Had a defendant take the stand on his own behalf and tell the jury that the witness against him was lying about recognizing him ...He told the jury that the witness could not of seen his face because "HE" was wearing a mask at the time of the robbery....:fnd_(16):

I'm sure that in our country that this case would be thrown out, after all the wistness lied and so couldn't be counted on to tell the truth,,,,, doesn't matter that the defendant 'admitted' to the robbery.

Back in 1984 had to serve on a Federal Grand Jury, drive from Flint to Detroit 2 and 3 times a week every other week for 6 MONTHS. (corporate didn't like it but they couldn't fire me) The Grand Jury convened in the Federal Court House in Detroit and it was during the John DeLorean trial. They had to sneak us out of the rear service elevators because of all the media in front of the building everyday when DeLorean left the building. We had nothing to do with his trial but they didn't want us to be seen. All we did was decide if there were enough evidence to send a case to trial. It was very interesting.

One of the best ones was when they took down the big shots at GM proving grounds. They were taking these one of a kind cars and selling them in Tennessee instead of destroying them. Tennessee at the time would register cars without serial numbers, so they would cut off all the numbers and turn them into GM with a fake receipt from a salvage yard to prove the car was destroyed then sell them to certain dealers in Tennessee. They got caught when a women pulled into a GM dealership in Florida with car problems in a car that didn't exist. It was a one of a kind Buick Rivera convertible experimental made for then CEO Roger Smith to drive at promotions. Funny thing is that they took the money and put it in a fund and at the end of the year used it to go to Windsor and have a big party at one of the nicer gentlemen clubs.

While I was in the Air Force I got a letter from Fl I was selected for jury duty. I was on active duty in Ok. I called the number and told them I would be glad to. Where do I send my milage claim? She asked how far? I told her how much and she asked me where I was. I told her and she said never mind they will take me off the list. Thanked me for my service and last time I got a letter.

Your right on Big Tom , I asked the judge why we couldnt start sooner than 9:30 and that just what he said about all the things going on that the jury does not see or hear. I wanted our company to have those hours , not going to happen.

You would be amazed at the things jurors don't ever hear....and by law, aren't allowed to hear.....:no-no-no:

I always go when called except the last time and I just forgot about it. I have only been chosen one time and it was a civil suit. The renters had a 2 year old girl who went in the bathroom and stuck her hand in a wall heater and burned it badly. I heard the whole case in the first 15 minutes and listened to the plaintiffs liar repeat it for the next 5 hours. Whose fault could that be? The parents had good insurance and paid almost nothing for all the medical bills. When we went to deliberate 10 jurors wanted to give the plaintiff something for their trouble. Their trouble was their own fault why should the landlord pay for their irresponsibility? Moral of the story if your called go its your responsibility as a citizen and there may be 10 morons on the jury you need to straighten out. On the other hand if your one of the morons uh uh well never mind.

I feel it is my duty to serve on a jury if requested. If I was being falsely accused of a crime I would want people who felt the same way on my jury. That being said I have served on two juries and been called at least five times. One was a murder trial. It was a very sad deal all around. But it also gave me a new respect for how involved and difficult an officers job can be. Our police do a great job.

kickshot

I was instrumental in catching two felons after a home invasion. I had to go to court to testify. I did not mind that but I had to give my full name and home address in front of two repeat offenders who lived an hour away. They were pissed off to begin with because I had bluffed them. I did not like telling them where I lived.

I was instrumental in catching two felons after a home invasion. I had to go to court to testify. I did not mind that but I had to give my full name and home address in front of two repeat offenders who lived an hour away. They were pissed off to begin with because I had bluffed them. I did not like telling them where I lived.
Aw Don't worry about it you couldn't possibly need a pistol in Canada. You should always be comforted with the knowledge that when seconds count the police are only minutes away.

I served on the jury of a murder trial. We had one juror who was there just to see how long he could stay in the hotel and get all the free food and get the pay. What a piece of work this guy was. The 2 killers drove up and down streets looking for someone to shoot with their stolen gun. They found a 15 year old on a bicycle and shot him. These 2 guys consoled the family and went to the funeral. One of them signed the guest book with I’m the one that killed your son. The person behind him informed the police. The guy who shot the kid set in the court room and would smile at the grieving family every time they talked or showed a picture of the shooting. I cannot tell you how the 11 of us jurors felt at this trial. but 1 moron took a three day trial and turned it into a 8 day ordeal and wanted 1 more weekend 2 friggen weeks. Well he did not get it and pouted. Finally gave a guilty verdict. The moron juror told the judge a month later that he was harassed into giving a guilty verdict. So the 2 got 2 go back 2 trial and were found guilty again. They were both found guilty. So this frigging moron juror put the family through another 2 trials. I would of really liked to of had a really good conversation with the moron.