IGNORED

Reserve Tank Question

Guest tx2sturgis

Last week I stretched it and went 1221 miles. At the pump, the fueler got it to take 179 gallons, meaning there was only about 21 gallons left, or about 10.5 per side. That's barely above the intake!

6.82 mpg. Not too shabby.

$585 worth.

Just cause its a class 8 truck doesnt mean I cant share, right?

:happy34:

On the 83, all of the bars are on until 40-52 miles, depending on how fast you are going. It appears the first bar goes off when 1 gallon has been used. The red light comes on when 3.95 gallons have been used (U.S. Gallons). When I was riding this bike, I'd note when the alarm came on and within 40 miles, I'd stop for gas. If it took a bit to find a station, sometimes I'd put in 5.0 or 5.1 gallons...kinda close for comfort because the tank holds 5.2 gallons.

On my 89, the steps are a little different and it gets 40MPG@75MPH, and about 43-44 MPG for average riding. Usually the first bar goes off at 53 miles or so, the 2nd about 77, the third about 88. The 4th bar goes off about 107, the 5th about 125, and the last about 153. On the way back from our last trip, by noticing when the last bar went off and the alarm came on, I 'calculated' that I'd be able to buy gas 1 town south of my mother-in-laws. I figured this would be right at the 5.0 gallon point....no problem. What I failed to notice was that a strong headwing had come up. We were travellling about 75 MPH with the cruise on (interstate) and 2 miles before the exit, I noticed that the speed was dropping slightly and the bike was sounding a little strange. I pulled onto the shoulder and rode it slowly in 5th gear as far as it'd go...another 1/2 mile. The ground was flat for a bit, so Barb and I pushed it a little. When we got to a place where a hill started, I was inspired to think of something else. I tilted the bike to the right, turned the key on, and rocked the kill switch. Holly Toledo, the fuel pump stoped trying to pump, the carb bowls were full!!!!. We rode right to the bottom of the ramp for the exit, over a mile. I repeated the tilt and pumped a little more, but the pump didn't shut off. Thankfully the carbs were full enough that we were able to get up the hill on the ramp. When we got to the road, we coasted down to where the road got flat again, and then pushed to the gas station. We were within 500'!!!. A very nice young man stopped and said "I've got some containers filled with water, (he was having overheat problems) we could dump the water and bring some gas back. We did. I put a 1/2 gallon in the bike, pumped the carbs full, and rode to the station. I filled the bike to the top. From 100% dry to 100% full, the bike held 5.25 gallons. If the carbs were still full, I'd say the tank held 5.2 gallons.

Frank D.

One thing I have noticed. The 1st bar goes away when 1 gallon is used, and when you see two bars, you've got two gallons left before you hit the 1 gallon reserve.

Right now 128 MTaT (Miles to a Tank) Carbs are horribly out of sync. 3&4 were so bad, damn near sucked up mercury into the system. Turns out all of the carbs screws that you twist to sync the carbs were backed ALL THE WAY OUT. -.-'

For now, I screwed them all the way IN, then backed them out each 3 whole turns. Looking for someone with a Morgan CarbTuner right now.... I need to sync these babies. (Would of finished, but somehow the bike screwed up my buddies mercury sticks)

My first Venture was an 83 back in the day.I had the bike synced and put on an EGA machine and even had it rejetted but all to no avail.140 miles was the limit before the warning light came on. The 86 was the same way but the 87 will go 160-170 before hitting reserve.Other then keeping them sync'ed I have done nothing to the 87,tho a PO may have.

Which way does the shaft turn to engage reserve? I had 147 miles on my 84 and it sucked the last bit out. I didn't know that it even had a reserve valve, all my V65's had an automatic switch to engage reserve. I figured as well as it was engineered it was the same as those were. Thank God I was close to home, and my wife saved the day for me. I really appreciate this website, I have really learned a lot about these great bikes. I have owned a 1500 6cyl Gold Wing, and 2 Suzuki Cavalcades, but my 1200 is the best of them all!! I just wish it had reverse!! Thanks guys!:bighug:

I just ran out to Central Ohio for chicken wings at the Quaker State and Lube in Austintown. (first trip ever to a QS+L) Came back the next day (yesterday) and thought I would check the mileage. 37.6 MPG running about 73 on cruise. With the occasional 4 wheel induced blast to 85. Sassinfrassin cages anyway.

I have tried to turn my valve to reserve and just can't seem to get it to turn. It may have never been turned.

When I hit 1 bar I would have to add 3.25 to 3.75 gallons. Never did see a red light. But without the reserve "warning" I did not push it to far. Gonna take a gas can with me next time.

Can I bypass the reserve switch? I thought I may just unhook the lines and insert a filter to make the reconnection.

:7_6_3[1]:

Which way does the shaft turn to engage reserve?
I had the same question when I found my 90 VR did not come with a reserve faceplate and switch. The shaft needs to be turned fully CCW to put the switch in the reserve position.

See this link courtesy of frankd for a pic of the switch without the knob in the reserve position.

See this link courtesy of painterman67 for a pic of the switch with the knob and faceplate as it would look if you had one.

Aren't these guys just the greatest bunch you could have ever run into? :clap2:

Guest tx2sturgis
, all my V65's had an automatic switch to engage reserve. I figured as well as it was engineered it was the same as those were.

Ok...I have to ask:

Since the purpose of a reserve amount of fuel (and the petcock must be turned manually to engage it), and that the rider then KNOWS he needs to get gas soon, what would be the purpose of having something that automatically switches to reserve? The rider needs to KNOW it has happened, especially if there is no gas gauge. And from an engineering point of view, if the reserve switchover is now a non-event, why bother to even HAVE a reserve?

:puzzled:

Ok...I have to ask:

Since the purpose of a reserve amount of fuel (and the petcock must be turned manually to engage it), and that the rider then KNOWS he needs to get gas soon, what would be the purpose of having something that automatically switches to reserve? The rider needs to KNOW it has happened, especially if there is no gas gauge. And from an engineering point of view, if the reserve switchover is now a non-event, why bother to even HAVE a reserve?

:puzzled:

Not sure if I have an answer to your questions and don't know anything about the bikes mentioned but my Virago has a setup somewhat similar to what was mentioned. There is no reserve switch but there is a reserve area in the tank. When the main tank runs out of fuel there is a circuit that cuts the ignition to one of the cylinders and turns on a red warning light in the instrument display. The ignition cutout can be turned off with a switch which allows the engine to run normally once again leaving only the warning light lit. This gives the rider a heads up to get fuel that cannot be ignored. Of course, leaving the switch in the reserve position disables the ignition cutout warning and if the warning light is burned out then when the engine sputters you will be riding shank's mare to the gas station.

Not very high tech and easily circumvented on purpose or by accident but effective if used as it was meant to be.

Guest tx2sturgis
Not sure if I have an answer to your questions and don't know anything about the bikes mentioned but my Virago has a setup somewhat similar to what was mentioned. There is no reserve switch but there is a reserve area in the tank. When the main tank runs out of fuel there is a circuit that cuts the ignition to one of the cylinders and turns on a red warning light in the instrument display. The ignition cutout can be turned off with a switch which allows the engine to run normally once again leaving only the warning light lit. This gives the rider a heads up to get fuel that cannot be ignored. Of course, leaving the switch in the reserve position disables the ignition cutout warning and if the warning light is burned out then when the engine sputters you will be riding shank's mare to the gas station.

Not very high tech and easily circumvented on purpose or by accident but effective if used as it was meant to be.

So the rider gets a warning and he must activate a switch or something. Now whats the difference between this and simply flipping the petcock onto reserve? Other than having to reach down, I dont know what was the reason for adding complexity to a simple, foolproof system. Other than bragging about it on the sales brochure, I wonder what the engineers and marketing people were thinking?

:think:

Seems like a simple low-fuel light or a buzzer or beeper would have been a LOT simpler than having the ignition cut off one cylinder...that seems like it could be grounds for a lawsuit if someone was in a fast sweeping turn and the motor started coughing, causing a crash.

Oh well. Interesting nonetheless. And thanks for the info.

So the rider gets a warning and he must activate a switch or something. Now whats the difference between this and simply flipping the petcock onto reserve? Other than having to reach down, I dont know what was the reason for adding complexity to a simple, foolproof system. Other than bragging about it on the sales brochure, I wonder what the engineers and marketing people were thinking?

:think:

Well, it is much easier to flip a switch by the throttle than reach down somewhere out of sight to turn a valve.

Seems like a simple low-fuel light or a buzzer or beeper would have been a LOT simpler than having the ignition cut off one cylinder...that seems like it could be grounds for a lawsuit if someone was in a fast sweeping turn and the motor started coughing, causing a crash.

Dropping a cylinder on the Virago is not such a big problem in the same way dropping two cylinders on the Venture is not really debilitating. Also, this was designed by Japanese engineers so the more complex the better and probably not with the litigious Excited States of America in mind. :buttkick: :big-grin-emoticon:

Oh well. Interesting nonetheless. And thanks for the info.
You are most welcome. :sun:

Fabulous thread! Especially considering I am an expert on the topic. My wife accuses me of playing the "gas game." In Indiana in 09'. Had gone about 150 miles. Knew we had to stop at the next exit. Closed! Ran out of gas at the next exit off ramp end. Only had to push about 1/4 but let me tell you fully laden with trailer is beastly! That was 165miles. Usually not that good esp. w/trailer. Just passed 4.5 gallons and it's out. Waste of the other half gal!

Biggest drawback to this bike is the range. Even without trailer. Especially out west, you're always eyeing a gas station. Hwy 50 in NV? You WILL be stopping in Austin wether you filled up on either end!

I've thought long and hard how to put a bigger tank on this thing.

Great thread.

Have those who've got a stuck pepcock, tried removing it? And clean it?

To tired and lazy. I did however grab a pair of small pliers and GENTLY turned the petcock to reserve. It went. So I plan on doing that every time I ride or clean or work on it. If it frees up and can be turned by hand, cool. If not, when I need it I will grab a pair of pliers from the Genuine Official Yamaha tool kit that came with the bike.

To tired and lazy. I did however grab a pair of small pliers and GENTLY turned the petcock to reserve. It went. So I plan on doing that every time I ride or clean or work on it.

I have put 133,000 miles on my 83 in 16 years and it has always been on reserve. My gas gauge works fine and I also tend to notice my odometer when it gets low. I have run it low and have never run out of gas. To me, it works just like my car. I can not understand why anyone would need to run their bike with it not on reserve if it has a working, repeatable gas gauge.

RandyA

I have put 133,000 miles on my 83 in 16 years and it has always been on reserve. My gas gauge works fine and I also tend to notice my odometer when it gets low. I have run it low and have never run out of gas. To me, it works just like my car. I can not understand why anyone would need to run their bike with it not on reserve if it has a working, repeatable gas gauge.

RandyA

Venturous, once I run it to the point that I "run out" and have to turn to reserve I may just do that.That way I can learn my range and characteristics of the fuel gauge. As I mentioned earlier, 1 bar on different fill ups was 3.25 to 3.75 gallons. 1/2 gallon being almost 20 miles can be a long walk. I may even carry a gallon of gas and run reserve out. Just for grins and giggles.

I've only had my VR a month and a half and only put 2000 miles on her. Haven't gotten to know her properly yet.

I keep calling her "her". I may actually have to name her. I did the boats I really liked.:)

Guest tx2sturgis

RandyA

Yeah but does your fuel petcock work now?

I turn mine to the off position when I wont be riding it for a more than a day or two. And sure the gauge works fine...more or less. But the reserve and main intakes arent relying on a 'maybe-sorta' gas gauge. When it sputters and coughs on the 'main' side, then I KNOW I have around 40 or so miles before I will be pushing it.

With those LCD bars that my 2nd gen uses, I'm not always 100% sure they are working. I can ride for 45 miles it seems with 2 bars showing, then look down, and poof...both bars are gone. Plus, I generally keep my odometer display on clock mode, and it will switch to reserve readout when I'm probably 10 miles or so from having to switch to reserve.

In the old days, some of us remember opening the cap, and sloshing the gas around by shaking the bike back and forth, just to be sure we had the gas in there that we thought we had. Never mind what the tripmeter said we had ridden, someone might have twisted the knob and reset it without us knowing. Old habits die hard.

And moving the knob thru its range helps to keep it working for the life of the bike. Just sayin.

:2cents:

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

It is possible that you are only running on 3 cylinders, these bike run so good that the only way you may have noticed a dropped cylinder is the lousy gas mileage.

I just replaced all my plugs because of my lousy gas mileage......but during my "interim testing"....I determined that I WAS in fact, running on three! The left rear plug was totally dead.

Not sure it's necessary to replace plugs EVERY year.....but, every SECOND year probably isn't a bad idea, especially at about 15 bucks a set of four!

Cheers!

Mike

As I mentioned earlier, 1 bar on different fill ups was 3.25 to 3.75 gallons. 1/2 gallon being almost 20 miles can be a long walk. I may even carry a gallon of gas and run reserve out. Just for grins and giggles.

When you filled up at 3.25 gallons, you had about 2 gallons left. When my fuel light comes on, I know I have about 50 miles left if I push it.

RandyA