IGNORED

Home from surgery. Not too good.

1BigDog

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep Hammering the rehab Ruff. And like me loosing a few pounds wouldn't hurt anything. I'm trying to stay away from the Hydro's but this thing with the garage has me using the keg a lot more than usual. I wanted to get more active again but the swelling and pain are rough. Just gotta keep pushing!! GOOD LUCK BUDDY!!

Working on losing the pounds there Dan. Hitting the gym in my garage almost daily. Left knee is talking to me a bit now. Looks like part 2 next year...lol. Still cant believe at how much better I am walking, even through the swelling and pain. Its a different kind of pain though. Nothing like having those loose/flapping muscles, tendons and other things floating around in there like before.

Thanks everyone for the good words! It makes my day easier. :smile5:

Just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water.......

PT was a little rougher today. I thought I was doing great and I was. Now to my graduation. PT said its time to advance. He had me do wall slides, where you actually squat down while sliding along the wall and push back up. HOLY CRAP BATMAN!! That hurt like hell. He said in 2 more weeks when I hit outpatient treatment its gonna be much rougher. Something to look forward to I guess. Yea, I know, no pain, no gain. Sheesh

HIT 94 today!!!! WOOHOO..........:smile5::smile5::smile5:

Also drove the SUV too. Handled that pretty well too. Brake and gas was smooth.

Edited by Ruffy

Well hang in there buddy if I our plans don't change we will stop by and check on ya the 4th week in April.

Whats going on in April?? And your always welcome here......:smile5:

Does this mean you are getting out that Speedo Swimsuit?

Yama Mama

Naaaaa, id make all the wimmen leave their husbands if I did.

Hit 95 today by the way. Heavy artillery is coming out next week.......

Today is 5 weeks post op on my RTKR and I hit my goal of 100 Flex with 0 deg extension.

I didnt think I would ever get there. For grins the PT measured my left knee, which is also due for replacement, and all I was able to get was a painful 90 on the flex. I have 3 more days of home therapy then I begin outpatient therapy. I also started driving my SUV this week and while I cant go great distances I can get around comfortably for about 20 miles before I start stiffening up. Still cant believe how stupid I was to have waited this long to get this taken care of. Oh, yea, now I remember....financials.....who needs money anyway?? :mo money::mo money:

Saw my bill from the hospital. 72k!!! My cost was 300 bucks. Rehab hospital stay for 10 days should be close to 30k. I havent seen my portion of the bill yet. Makes me wonder why I never became a Dr in the first place. :smile5: May I take your temperature please????

Today is 5 weeks post op on my RTKR and I hit my goal of 100 Flex with 0 deg extension.

I didnt think I would ever get there. For grins the PT measured my left knee, which is also due for replacement, and all I was able to get was a painful 90 on the flex. I have 3 more days of home therapy then I begin outpatient therapy. I also started driving my SUV this week and while I cant go great distances I can get around comfortably for about 20 miles before I start stiffening up. Still cant believe how stupid I was to have waited this long to get this taken care of. Oh, yea, now I remember....financials.....who needs money anyway?? :mo money::mo money:

Saw my bill from the hospital. 72k!!! My cost was 300 bucks. Rehab hospital stay for 10 days should be close to 30k. I havent seen my portion of the bill yet. Makes me wonder why I never became a Dr in the first place. :smile5: May I take your temperature please????

And of course "no one" here would say I TOLD YOU SO!!! :whistling:

Anybody named no one???:think: Not Me. "I TOLD YA SO!!!":rotfl:

Glad its going good Ruff. My weight thing is sure slow. I'm hoping I'm changing a "little" of that blubber into muscle...:pushups:

And of course "no one" here would say I TOLD YOU SO!!! :whistling:

Anybody named no one???:think: Not Me. "I TOLD YA SO!!!":rotfl:

Glad its going good Ruff. My weight thing is sure slow. I'm hoping I'm changing a "little" of that blubber into muscle...

Yea, yea, I know....and I also have a theory about weight training at our age. Our bodies WILL revolt. Mine says to me, "hey A*****e, you had 56 years to get that body into shape. Ill fight you to the death and make every inch of you scream in pain just for trying to correct that mistake at this late stage in the game. Your move!!!!:pushups:

Yea, yea, I know....and I also have a theory about weight training at our age. Our bodies WILL revolt. Mine says to me, "hey A*****e, you had 56 years to get that body into shape. Ill fight you to the death and make every inch of you scream in pain just for trying to correct that mistake at this late stage in the game. Your move!!!!:pushups:

I will let Bobbie post a pic at MD. See if it looks any different from last years.

Ruffy, you should be able to make it to the beach if you can drive 20 miles...

Just got back from Fernandina Beach. Drove up there with my wife, daughter and her two dogs. Had pizza from Moon River pizza and Working Cow Ice cream on Center st. Hung out at the park on Center st then drove home along the ocean. Sure do wish it was on the bike. That was about 60 miles round trip. My knee was kinda tight so I guess maybe 50 miles is my limit now. All in all a nice day. :smile5:

Got a call from my Ortho surgeon today. I have been having trouble with my "other" knee now, which is hindering the therapy of my new knee. Apparently the therapist made a medical request for a knee brace for my left knee to help in my development. These are not cheap and ins wont cover it without a medical necessity being documented. My human knee has been struggling this last week while doing the recumbent bike, treadmill and wall squats. My new knee has been thriving, but im being limited by the bad knee. Hopefully this brace will help move me along faster. I go for a fitting on Thurs. A replacement for the left knee wont be done until next Jan, when I have some leave accrued again. Its always something.......

Same thing happened to my Mum..... good knee became the bad knee after carrying the extra burden of coping with the bung one!

She had both knee's done when parts were still plastic, so five year's later had both done again!! Mum had a thyroid condition, and struggled with her weight, but the surgeon thought she was amazing -- so did I.

Keep at it fella :thumbsup2:

Annie, sounds like you got your toughness from your Mum. Your still hanging in there after all you have been through yourself. Im impressed! :smile5:

Got a call from my Ortho surgeon today. I have been having trouble with my "other" knee now, which is hindering the therapy of my new knee. Apparently the therapist made a medical request for a knee brace for my left knee to help in my development. These are not cheap and ins wont cover it without a medical necessity being documented. My human knee has been struggling this last week while doing the recumbent bike, treadmill and wall squats. My new knee has been thriving, but im being limited by the bad knee. Hopefully this brace will help move me along faster. I go for a fitting on Thurs. A replacement for the left knee wont be done until next Jan, when I have some leave accrued again. Its always something.......

Been following your thread Ruffy. Glad you are coming along. I had left shoulder surgery, and I am also on the heavy side. You have inspired me to try to loose some weight and to take my physical therapy very seriously, thank you.

I am in the third week and therapist is at no more than 90 degrees on raising my arm, very painful there. I have lost 25 pound, started out at 300 and now at 275 and kinda hanging there. I am 5' 11" also and kinda a large person.

After surgery I have had a lot of problems with my throat. I spit up blood for 2 days after and throat was really raw. Still giving me problems, throat sore right now and it has been going on three weeks. They have damaged my throat when they put the tube down my neck for surgery.

Anyhow, I have to go,but wanted to let you know I have been following the thread and you are still in our prayers. Hope you the very best and the same for next January.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy, from what I am told by friends who have gone through shoulder surgery it is one of the most painful things to recover from, mainly because you need to move them almost automatically if you know what I mean. Any upper body movement will involve the shoulder to some degree. Not knowing what is normal for your type of surgery what would be the normal range at 3 weeks out? 90 sounds impressive to me...lol.

I hit 101 today and I felt that extra 1 degree. Next goal will be 105 and for me I think that will be enough. The weight loss issue is rough. Im being hindered by my left knee not holding up through the exercises and im hoping that knee brace will get me through it. Congrats on the 25 lb loss. Its real hard to do. Im right behind ya.....:smile5: