IGNORED

sanding/painting

Yamamike

I had a terrible time getting the pinstriping off of the Beast.

I tried a couple of things and nothing worked well . . . :(

Same here, the guy that did the paint/prep work said it seemed like the pinstriping's glue was etched right into the plastic. He did some major sanding and used plastex to level and then sanded some more.

Brian

And like Gary and Brian, I had a hell of a time getting that pinstriping off. I settled on a hair dryer (hot, hot, hot) to get the tape started coming and then started slowly pulling, heating more as needed. And after I got it off it left a groove where it had been AND adhesive that was not removable with any solvent I tried. I ended up using a pink Pearl eraser to rub off the residual adhesive. The groove remained.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

OK so now I realy have to get my a$$ in gear and finish preping this baby for paint. Anyone out there remove the aluminum "frames" around the inside edge of the bags and trunk? There are small screws around the inside of them but with these out it's still very solid on there and I wonder if they're glued. I'm afraid to break anything if I pull any harder than I have.

OK so now I realy have to get my a$$ in gear and finish preping this baby for paint. Anyone out there remove the aluminum "frames" around the inside edge of the bags and trunk? There are small screws around the inside of them but with these out it's still very solid on there and I wonder if they're glued. I'm afraid to break anything if I pull any harder than I have.

I have heard a couple of others say they could not get the saddlebag rims off. I didn't even try to get mine off. Just taped them.

I just painted mine last weekend. The pin stripes were the interesting beginning. I had a spare fender to experiment on and found what worked for me. I started by using a heat gun from Harbor Freight and heating stripes in small sections at a time. I used a very thin putty knife to scrape the softened stripes off. This took the bulk of the stripe off, but left a somewhat gummy residue that was tough to remove. What I found that worked best was a 3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner. I don't know if this is still avaliable as I have had this can for years. The active ingredient in it is Xylene & Naphtha. It still took some effort but the stripes did come off. I did try the decal remover wheel mentioned above, but it was to aggressive and was damaging the ABS plastic.

Took 220 grit paper and sanded all around areas of pinstripes to level out the groove they left behind. Finish sanded everything with 320 paper.

I used Sherwin Williams paint. 2 quarts of primer that was then sanded with 600 grit paper. 2 quarts of color. A little over a quart of clear coat. My total cost for paint & related hardeners & reducers was a little over $300.

I'm not going to sand clear coat and buff. With all the sharp corners on the parts I don't want to end up cutting through paint and having to do touch ups, plus the small parts would be a real pain to secure & buff.

I used an HVLP gun from Harbor freight and 2 packs of their disposable paint cups, these made cleanup much easier.

You must get a charcoal respirator. It would have been intolerable without one. They are about $20.

Some pictures of this process attached.

Gary

Lookin good Gary!!

I got the pinstripes off with one of those glass cleaning knives that uses a razor blade. Then I found what makes the quickest work of getting the glue out is a peice of Scotchbrite (light grey) and Goof Off adhesive remover. I agree about the decal remover.

I also plan to tape the rim like you did...what kind of tape is that??

That sounds like alot of paint...how many coats of primer and colour did you put down?

Thanks for the info!

Lookin good Gary!!

I got the pinstripes off with one of those glass cleaning knives that uses a razor blade. Then I found what makes the quickest work of getting the glue out is a peice of Scotchbrite (light grey) and Goof Off adhesive remover. I agree about the decal remover.

I also plan to tape the rim like you did...what kind of tape is that??

That sounds like alot of paint...how many coats of primer and colour did you put down?

Thanks for the info!

Probably a good 3 coats of primer. The Yellow I used was a hard color to paint the Sherwin Williams guy told me. It was more expensive than a lot of colors and it was hard to get good hiding coverage. I only got a quart & half per receipt. used almost all off it. There was quart of black. A pint of flattining clear for some of the black parts. 2 different hardners, 2 quarts of reducer. A gallon of thinner. Quart of surface cleaner. 2 quarts of clear.

Tape was some I got a Sherwin Williams. Not on this receipt.

There was another thread somewhere that someone mentioned goof-off was not good to use for some reason. Just make sure it is cleaned off well.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Awlsome Red?? I'm colorblind but that is red?? Get tricked once in a while. I can tell BLUE!!! While you guys are painting I need a simple book on how to paint or something to tell me how to mix and pressures for gun and such things. I did some painting for Uncle Sam but never set gun up or mixed paint. I got pretty good at spraying just need to know all the other stuff.

Awlsome Red?? I'm colorblind but that is red?? Get tricked once in a while. I can tell BLUE!!! While you guys are painting I need a simple book on how to paint or something to tell me how to mix and pressures for gun and such things. I did some painting for Uncle Sam but never set gun up or mixed paint. I got pretty good at spraying just need to know all the other stuff.

Nice shade of green..........:stickpoke:

There is no magic pressures to use, the pressure and mixing will vary by the type of paint AND by the equipment you have. experiment on a piece of scrap, Got any 2nd gen parts laying around?:stirthepot:

Nice shade of green..........:stickpoke:

There is no magic pressures to use, the pressure and mixing will vary by the type of paint AND by the equipment you have. experiment on a piece of scrap, Got any 2nd gen parts laying around?:stirthepot:

Nice shade of Green is one of the biggest tricks my colorblindness ever played on me. I was going into a parts store and this little RED MG was sitting there. Sharp Little Red car and I looked it over for a while. RED!! I came back outside after getting what I was after and it was the prettiest Green. I walked around it and looked it over and I'm sure it was the same one. Ithink. GREEN!!

If my air hose will reach I could practice on the neighbors truck. He probally wouldn't notice a little change...

Which brings to mind the story of the blonde who was paid to paint the porch.

After a few hours she came in and said" all done...but it's not a Porch...its a Ferrari !!!!!

Older than dirt....I know.