IGNORED

Vehicle Titles

Hummingbird

Last September 6th I traded my 2009 Silverado Z71 in on a 2011 Silverado Z71 and financed a portion of the purchase price.

I paid $17 doc fees and $25 Title fees. I never asked questions about it , didn't have cause to. In the middle of November I paid off the mortgage on the truck and waited for the title to arrive. The last week of November I got an 8 1/2" X 11" sheet of paper saying that I could take it to my local title department and get a title.

I did and it cost $16 for what I thought I had already paid for. After a call to the dealership and talking to the business whatever she was called I found that when you finance a vehicle that there is never a title issued. Everything is "electronic" and I guess it save's the .32 cents to mail a title to you and evidently nobody ever has a clear title to their vehicle.

I'm still trying to figure how I can make life miserable enough for the dealer so that they will refund my $16 that I thought I had already paid for a paper title.

I'm relatively sure I won't win but it'll be fun jabbing them as often as I feel like it. :innocent-emoticon:

I have never heard of having to pay another fee to get your title once it had been paid off but I have never lived in Ohio so I do not know what their laws are. If it is a Chevy dealer call Chevy and complain to them and just keep bugging the dealer. It may also be a fee your lending company should have paid.

They'll just tell you in the end, that the $25 was for title registration,,,, somebody has to have title, and in this case it was transferred to the loan company. Now why it only costs $16 to do the same thing again, is what I might question,,, poor folks at the license office must have got a reduction in pay. I think you should offer to pay the full $25.

Have a great New Year!!

In WI you pay a title fee when you purchase the vehicle, the title has both your name and the banks name on it.

Once the loan is paid you will get a letter from the bank releasing their lien on the vehicle. You can either just keep that letter with your title or pay for another title fee to get the clear title in your name only.

All that the state cares about is making your money their money.

Here in California anytime a title is issued for any reason it's $16 bucks. When you took out the loan you paid to have the title in the loan company's name as owner, and you were the 'registered' owner. This is needed to secure the loan. The cost was part of the fees to finance the vehicle. The requirement is put there by the finance company not the dealer. You could have paid all cash and avoided the cost of the second title transfer to your name, but since you didn't you're stuck with second fee. Personally I think $16 bucks is cheap compared to all the interest you've been paying on the loan. :2cents:

Here in California anytime a title is issued for any reason it's $16 bucks. When you took out the loan you paid to have the title in the loan company's name as owner, and you were the 'registered' owner. This is needed to secure the loan. The cost was part of the fees to finance the vehicle. The requirement is put there by the finance company not the dealer. You could have paid all cash and avoided the cost of the second title transfer to your name, but since you didn't you're stuck with second fee. Personally I think $16 bucks is cheap compared to all the interest you've been paying on the loan. :2cents:

Actually at 3.78% for 1 1/2 months wasn't that bad on $9800.00 loan. My point is that I thought I paid for a hard copy title this time as I always have in the past.

Previously, when I paid off a loan on anything titled, I received an Ohio title showing the lien had been cancelled. That's what I expected this time -

I'm probably beating a dead horse but I'm really going to waste some postage mailing them a request for my money to be refunded.

I didn't have the same sort of problems with a dealer one time but the title did get in the wrong name. In mine instead of the wife but I pressured them into refunding some money because of the screw up and I ended up getting a credit at the dealership for $22.00. What the ell was I suppose to do with that. Still have it somewhere I guess.

BOO

Everything is "electronic" and I guess it save's the .32 cents to mail a title to you

I see it has been awhile since you mailed something.............It is now .44 cents :doh::big-grin-emoticon:

OOooops - I haven't wrote a check or mailed anything for probably 15 years, wife always does it. Guess I'll waste more than I thought

I always buy the "Forever" stamps. Since they do not have a value printed on them I loose track of how much postage is. When I get more stamps I am usually doing other business so I still don't know what the stamps cost.

The only checks I still write are to state and local government that have not yet heard of credit cards or internet.

I always buy the "Forever" stamps. Since they do not have a value printed on them I loose track of how much postage is. When I get more stamps I am usually doing other business so I still don't know what the stamps cost.

The only checks I still write are to state and local government that have not yet heard of credit cards or internet.

I guess my wife does some payments on the net, like the electric cause I see a notice come in our email.