IGNORED

Common Sense

SilvrT

Kids today!!! I gotta wonder sometimes.

Went to McD's for lunch (as I usually do). The regular gals had the day off and they had a bunch of young folk manning the tills ... they weren't green at the job but...

I asked for a Crispy Chicken wrap, no sauce (it comes as either Ranch or Spicey sauce). Kid says "will that be Ranch or Spicey?" ... I say "no sauce". He says "but, it has to be either Ranch or Spicey" ... I repeat ... "no, I don't want any sauce" ... he says "but I have to enter one or the other...which one will it be?" ... my response "take your pick coz once you remove the sauce it makes no difference". :doh: guess he couldn't fathom that one at all :rotfl:

You are under the illusion that the younger kids are taught to think. They are being taught to "press the button". If the machine says you get change, you get change. If the menu "button" says sauce... you get sauce. When you get a bill for $4.73, hand them a $5 and 23 cents... if the machine says you get 50 cents back, you get it. If he has to work it out... tripple check the amount. Thinking is not a priority.

Schools are becoming recitation centers... names, dates with no relavance to the history, events or the results... just recite the names and dates and write it on the test... you too can be an ""A" student.

I went to a Taco Bell the other night and ordered a burrito supreme for my wife. Then I said that I didn't want any enchilada sauce on the burrito. The girl just looked at me. "When you are making the burrito, you add that red sauce right?" "Yes." "Ok, on mine, don't add the darned red sauce." "But it comes with red sauce." I pointed to the bills in my hand. "These are MY dollars, you leave the red sauce off or I walk out with these same dollars and you can explain why the customer isn't right." She went back and told them what I wanted and I paid.

I still think she thought she was getting cheated in the deal. Maybe she thought I should pay more to have them leave it off...?

They are being taught to "press the button".

yup... ain't that the truth!!

My wife runs into these similar situations at Tim Horton's. She asks for an "everything bagel with breakfast ham" ... well, it's not listed as such on the till so they have no idea how to specify that and oftentimes the wife will get quite a surprise LOL

I once went to McD and ordered a half dozen chicken nuggets, The gal behind the counter says "I'm sorry sir, we only sell them as 6, 9 or 12"

So I asked " you mean I can not order a half dozen?"

She answered "No, just 6, 9 or 12".

I was working hard (not real successfully) to keep a straight face, the guy behind me was hysterical and nearly on the floor.

NO ONE INCLUDING THE MANAGER GOT IT!

If common sense is supposed to be COMMON sense, then why do so few people have it.

I once went to McD and ordered a half dozen chicken nuggets, The gal behind the counter says "I'm sorry sir, we only sell them as 6, 9 or 12"

I was working hard (not real successfully) to keep a straight face, the guy behind me was hysterical and nearly on the floor.

OMG!! that is hilarious... I will have to try that! :rotfl: :rotf: :rotfl: :rotf:

I do not like mustard. One drop of mustard on a sandwich and that is all I taste. I don't like mustard. I have gotten to the point that if I am ordering a sandwich that normally comes with mustard, I will tell the cashier or waitress that I don't want mustard and that if I take even one bite, with me being highly allergic to mustard, that I will immeiately go into convulsions. So far it has worked and I hate to have to do that, but if I don't get their attention, I will usually end up with mustard.

RandyA

If common sense is supposed to be COMMON sense, then why do so few people have it.

WARNING; do not read after abdominal surgery:happy-emoticon:

I do not like mustard. One drop of mustard on a sandwich and that is all I taste. I don't like mustard. I have gotten to the point that if I am ordering a sandwich that normally comes with mustard, I will tell the cashier or waitress that I don't want mustard and that if I take even one bite, with me being highly allergic to mustard, that I will immeiately go into convulsions. So far it has worked and I hate to have to do that, but if I don't get their attention, I will usually end up with mustard.

RandyA

I do that with onion ... even though I like onion, my system doesn't. Unfortunately I really am allergic to them.... I get severe lower abdominal cramps and bloating.

You are under the illusion that the younger kids are taught to think. They are being taught to "press the button".

YOU are under the illusion that kids are going to class often enough to be taught to press a button......like one student in my business class, similar to many others in that class, who showed up today, 43 absences so far this term, hadn't seen him for 2 weeks straight this time, it was a shortened day due to Christmas assembly, he arrives with 15 minutes remaining in the period, he wants to write an hour long unit test that the rest of the class wrote a week ago. Taught to press a button?...yeah right!

I go to our local high schools basketball games alot. Our students have to work in the concession stand along with a supervisor. I really love to go and order a few different kinds of candy, plus popcorn and a pop. Then I give them a 10 or 20 dollar bill on purpose just to make them count change. If they dont get it right, I make them start over until they get it right, even if I have to help them count it.

In Abigails math class they let them use calculators even during a test, but at home doing her homework I won't let her. At first she wasn't to fond of my rule and got a lot of the problems wrong when I checked her work, then made her do the problem over again in front of me so I could see what she did wrong. Now she hardy ever asks for help and usually gets them all correct. It's funny when a clerk makes a mistake giving change Abigail will speak right up and correct them. Now at the grocery store when they get the total and I hand them money to pay it Abigail will blurt out what change I should get beck. The clerks will look at what the register says and say "you're right" like shes some math wizard. Seems like common sense isn't very common anymore.

In my classes, I write the following statement on the board. I finally had one student in 4 years bust out laughing. After a little while he busted out laughing again and when I asked him what was funny this time he said, Mr. D. am I the only one that gets it..... I had to laugh with him while the other students sat there like a deer in headlights.

"5/4 of all people have problems with fractions"

When you get a bill for $4.73, hand them a $5 and 23 cents...

30 years ago I used to hang out with my friends at Bob's Big Boy in Montrose, CA. They had a cashier that was not too good with the whole math thing. This was before all the computerized cash registers. We would leave and the bill would be, say, $14.27. We would give her something like $22.49 and let her try to figure out correct change. Ah, the good times!

A Lack of Common Sense is on the very same page as how to be Politically Correct.

"You have to be told what your options are"

everything else is "not to be tolerated!"

Your not wanting the sauce was, viewed as being totally "unreasonable" in their eyes...

Now do you Get it?

Welcome to the new reality... LOL

:whistling:

Edited by CaptainJoe

30 years ago I used to hang out with my friends at Bob's Big Boy in Montrose, CA. They had a cashier that was not too good with the whole math thing. This was before all the computerized cash registers. We would leave and the bill would be, say, $14.27. We would give her something like $22.49 and let her try to figure out correct change. Ah, the good times!

Now that is downright MEAN!! :stickpoke: :rotf:

Bought a coffee at Timmies and gave her a 20 bill, she gave me a 5 dollar bill and some change and closes the till. When I told her how much she owed me she opened the till gave me some change and again closed it. I again told how much she owed me and then she says I can't give you anymore as she did not have that much in the till.

Brad

My daughter is taking economics in high school and she always has stories that you don't know whether to laugh or be scared.

In Abigails math class they let them use calculators even during a test, but at home doing her homework I won't let her. At first she wasn't to fond of my rule and got a lot of the problems wrong when I checked her work, then made her do the problem over again in front of me so I could see what she did wrong. Now she hardy ever asks for help and usually gets them all correct. It's funny when a clerk makes a mistake giving change Abigail will speak right up and correct them. Now at the grocery store when they get the total and I hand them money to pay it Abigail will blurt out what change I should get beck. The clerks will look at what the register says and say "you're right" like shes some math wizard. Seems like common sense isn't very common anymore.