IGNORED

Anybody had Vitamin D deficiency?

Freebird

I did 12&1/2 hrs last day I was at work.:whistling:

heck, my work day is 11 hours long, every day, 5 days a week.

I leave home at 6:30, drive to the Skytrain, get on it and snooze for 1/2 hour, get off and go have brekkie, read the paper, arrive at the office at 7:45, fire up the computer and come in here .... make a few posts, greet some of the staff as they arrive, make a few more posts, check my email, go for coffee and a smoke, come back to the puter, read the new posts here and respond.... have a snooze, go for another coffee and a smoke.... back here and read some more... lunch time comes and goes.... spend some more time reading and responding to posts.... more coffee breaks and snoozing ... leave work at 4:30, hop on the skytrain and snooze for another 1/2 hour to where I parked, sit and wait for Nina to arrive (snoozing while I do), she gets in the truck and we head home, arriving home @ 5:30 .... ELEVEN HOURS!!! :banana: :whistling: :whistling:

(life is tough for a workin man!!) :p

Yea, I didn't know why at the time but the doc kept asking me if I was feeling depressed. That is another of the symptoms listed for vitamin D deficiency. I don't think I'm depressed at all but maybe I am a bit and just blame it on being on the road all the time.

I also didn't know that cholesterol medications could contribute to the problem. I think it has been about 3 years that they put me on a low dose, 20 mg per day, of Pravastatin for borderline high cholesterol..

Hmmmm, interesting. I have been fighting mild depression these last few months and I have most of the symptoms you described. I also have been taking Pravastatin for several years. Recent in depth blood workups have shown everything to be normal, with the exception of a one time spike in my auto antibodies. Maybe I need some vitamin D too. I attribute my depression to the chronic pain though.

Don,

This is Karen, Larry's wife. He saw your post & asked if I would reply. You betcha, anything to help!! And I am on your 'pushy wife's side! Hurrah for her! She saved you from further health issues!!

I was diagnosed a year ago with Fibromyalgia. Though that may not be your problem, we've learned a lot since last year.

I took multi-vitamins, Calcium with Vitamin D & Minerals faithfully .. my years of extreme fatigue, insomnia, tension headaches, irritability, depression, not feeling well only worsened to where it was difficult to walk/sit/lie down. Bloodwork last year showed Vitamin B-12 was extremely low (should range between 300-1000, depending on age, etc). Shots started at once a month, now every 3 weeks since May to get the numbers up. Even though my number is now 863, I am told to keep taking these shots. Noticeable difference, but aches/pains, insomnia, tension headaches were terrible!

My physician did more bloodwork in July & next day started me on 50,000IU of Vitamin D. My number was extremely low of 15.3. They say it should range from 32-100, but further information out there states it should be 50 or higher. 4 weeks after taking that little gelcap 1 x a week, my aches/pains subsided 50%!

Blood work in October (3 months later), my number only climbed to 20.6, so he raised my Vitamin D x 2 per week, 100,000IU. By the end of November, I can say that I am on my way feeling much better!! Tension headaches have decreased from 4 x a week to only when I overdo it, get fatigued, or have a night of insomnia. No longer suffer with aches/pains every day!

Yes, we live in the Northern Hemisphere & millions of people suffer low Vitamin D levels. I have a site on my desktop, very useful information on meds, health, vitamins, etc. http://www.webmd.com/ Type in: Vitamin D Deficiency & you will find different links that are helpful with information. I joined a forum for my condition & they send me a newsletter once a week with very helpful information.

Hope this helps & keep on that Vitamin D! Any questions, you are more than welcome to call hubbies cellphone any evening to chat.

I usually get up pretty early and early in the AM I have to wade thru a bunch of infomercials about every supliment pill out there on the radio, and the 'new improved' too. Hey anyone ever heard of Dr Pinkus?? :) Anywho, Vitamin D deficiency is the new in pill. The symptoms match me to a T. Not sure if it's D deficiency, or juat plain old age, but been thinking about giving it a try... Either that or start riding topless..... :yikes: :)

I was having trouble with aches pains and feeling tired, and doc said my Vit D was just at low end of normal so he said I should be taking 2000mg daily in winter and 1000mg in summer. I was pleasantly surprised how much taking just an additional vitamin helped, in less than a month I felt better.

I was reading an article afterwards that most people in North America are probably in a Vitamin D defecit situation and should at least be taking some supplements in winter.

Brian

I too had some of the same symptons, but after all the blood tests it was found that I had low T.(testosterone). I was put on a regiment of T supplement, didn't notice any immediate results, but after about a month, I started noticing I was sleeping better, had more energy, more stamina, and other things improved also. So if you are suffering from any symptoms like Don or myself suffered, listen to your wife and get checked, who knows what you could catch just in time...........In my case the wife sorta wished it would have been something else, if you get my drift...........:cool10::cool10::cool10:

I had been trying some over the counter supplements from the local health food store, but their claims didn't hold water, so don't waste your time trying that first, they were more expensive than the script, and insurance didn't cover it.( from the store). I also didn't know that Testosterone is a controlled substance..............:doh::doh:

Edited by DragonRider

I really think it has to do with not being able to get on your bikes and ride, For many years I did the same thing, would yearn to get out on the bike and ride while I sat there staring at the snow in the driveway & street. Could not wait for the smell of spring to come about. the dripping of icicles from the roofs edge. going to the bike shop during the winter wishing for a new bike, for the coming season.

I told myself "SELF" come spring I'm out of here.............

where can I go to enjoy all the things I like to do?:draming::Venture::scubadive::confused24::whistling:

Been here 20 years, with no regrets.............

Karen, everybody else also, thank you much for your input. What I've learned from the little bit of research that I have done is that 20 minutes of sun per day is necessary to keep your Vitamin D level up. There are foods that help but I've read that without the proper amount of sun, there is no way that you get enough Vitamin D through diet alone. For many of us, especially this time of the year, it is just not possible to get it through the sun. So, I will see how this goes. I took the first 50,000 UI tablet on Thursday and will take another tomorrow. I know it will take a few weeks and maybe longer to determine if it helps. I will also find out the full results of my tests when I go back next Tuesday. From all that I've read, I'm also anxious to see how the Testosterone test came out.

Don everyone at our age needs regular blood workups at least annually, and I am overdue mine for sure.....The Road trips don't help it for sure....I get tired fairly easy these days...and can't get by without at least a hour rest in the evenings....

Don I take a multi-vitamin, aspirin, vit. c, and 4,000 units of fish oil everyday....with a low dose blood pressure pill....In the evenings I will take a 1mg. Xanax for anxiety or just plain nervousness in my opinion....I had TB pretty bad when I was young and have quite a bit of scarring on my lungs...makes me a little short winded when I get that anxious and nervous feeling...When you get to feeling better, get on a fish oil regiment daily...My heart doctor told me that if everyone took the fish oil in 4 to 5 gram doses a day that the heart bypass industry would go broke...I had a little spell with my heart little over a year ago...had to get roto-rootered....lol....

If you snore when you sleep and if you have apnea (ask the wife she can tell you) a consult with you Dr. about it can help. I also use a CPAP device and it has cured most of my insomnia issues. Fatigue is the big symptom of that. I also have Vit. D and B12 deficiencies as I am a diabetic. I take 2000iu of D and 2500iu of B12 sublingual daily. It does help.

Getting checked out and finding the issues at play are important. Good luck

Bob

Actually an omega 3/6 supplement derived from a veggie source is better for you than fish oils. People are getting mercury poisoning from taking fish oil supplements because the industry can't filter out the mercury and other heavy metals present in seafood. There's pros and cons to each supplement and regimen. Just my 2 cents there

There is pros and cons to most everything you take...Me myself is stickin to the fish oil that the cardio man said to take....he told me that he took 5 grams of it a day himself....I watched my brother go thru a quad. heart bypass couple years ago....don't want no part of it....

As far as Vit. D is concerned; I don't know that much about it....What Don's problem sounds like is B-12.....Hope you get to feeling better Mr. Freebird....

I'm in the south and get lots of sunshine, particularly in the summer. I read a lot of material by Dr. Mercola and he says vitamin D deficency causes a lot of health problems. I have blood work every six months because of my diabetes. They check everything under the sun except vitamin D levels. I asked a doctor to check mine and it was low. He gave me a prescription for vitamin D. Dr. Mercola has a web site which is mercola.com. I have found his advice to be good. My doctor prescribed a statin drug for me because my LDL was elevated but I will not take a statin drug. The pharmacy companies have made billions encouraging doctors to prescribe statins. The can do more harm to your body than the cholesterol. There are many studies now that show people that had heart attacks and strokes didn't have them because of hight LDL but inflammation of the circulatory system. You won't hear the drug companies talk about this. Because of the possiblity of mercury in regular fish oil I take krill oil. Krills are little tiny creatures that look like shrimp and are close to the bottom of the ocean so there is probably nil chance of mercury.

• 1 month later...

here is one everyone should watch about health..... it works! I know it for a fact. Yes your vitiamin intake is very very important. I see the blood sucker at least once a year to make sure I am in good order.... my wife... she would be bleeding on the sidewalk and tell you she is fine. BUT she has joined me and helped me lose wieght and keep in good health.

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by kevin-vic-b.c.
more info

Not to mention all the Oranges we eat down here............

I take no vitamins what so ever, not even aspirin, I allow my body to fend off all possible attacks, but I also eat a lot of Veggies & fresh fruits & Nuts

and I stay away from junk foods and soda's

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::thumbsup2: didn't know i had a twin brother...:banana: