New to the Venture..quick question..

KIC

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well....finally got to ride the bike. After my wife ripped off our house's front water spicket this morning causing me to complete plumbing repairs in the cold dark morning, I had to run to Ace Hardware...you know the place with the helpful hardware man.. anyways, rode the bike there. Since I was there, I picked up a can of electrical contact cleaner and dielectric grease. Also decided to stop and get gas next door at the Circle K since the gas gauge didn't seem to be working.

Why the details ? Like you care ? Well....the electrical cleaner immediately fixed my sticky starter button and cleaned my cruise control switches and horn button..man..they all feel nice now.

AND... getting gas fixed my gas guage. You see I guess when there is NO gas in the bike the gas gauge doesn't show anything on the dash. Put 4.8 gallons in that puppy and BOOM...the gas guage was reading that there was gas in the bike. Easiest fix yet.

Put a couple of new bulbs in the rear driving light bar. She fires right up and purrs. Looks like the front fork seals and steering head bearing might be my only real concern. :happy65:

ROOKIE..??? ME ? I have yet began to blow up this forum with my many needy questions. Rode the bike for 40 miles in town today running errands ( and making show off stops).

I do have a few questions to start:

1) OIL.... I have heard that it is better to use diesel oil. Is this true ? If so what brand type/weight etc ?

2) Front fork seals... Is there any special tools needed ? I have done my KLR650 seals before and had to make some special tools for it.

3) What is the preferred tire pressure for these puppies ?

4) Where is the best/cheapest place to get progressive springs for the front ?

5) Any special recommended spark plugs ?

I'll just start with those and let the list grow from there.... :starz:

ROOKIE..??? ME ? I have yet began to blow up this forum with my many needy questions. Rode the bike for 40 miles in town today running errands ( and making show off stops).

I do have a few questions to start:

1) OIL.... I have heard that it is better to use diesel oil. Is this true ? If so what brand type/weight etc ?

2) Front fork seals... Is there any special tools needed ? I have done my KLR650 seals before and had to make some special tools for it.

3) What is the preferred tire pressure for these puppies ?

4) Where is the best/cheapest place to get progressive springs for the front ?

5) Any special recommended spark plugs ?

I'll just start with those and let the list grow from there.... :starz:

OHH NOOoooo.....

He asked the dreaded question.......:crying:

So much for just 4 pages.......

Oil!! Just change it as you should. That is the most important thing. Use a good brand without friction modifiers. I have been using Castrol 20/50 since the early 60's. Off the shelf at Wally World. Never had a oil related problem. I won't pay the prices for motorcycle oil. I have other things to waste money on.

I run 40 front 42 rear in tires. Running at max called for on sidewall is best way to go with most. Tire pressure is important in handling.

NGKs the book calls for are great plugs. You can spend a lot more but I'm not sure you gain anything. A C plugs also work well and at a buck and a half hard to beat for quick tune up. NGKs seem to last better.

You do need a tool to remove bolts in bottom of tubes to do seals and I can't remember right now. It might be in our tech library.

Progressives?? Again I don't remember who I got them from. Do a search for them or somebody should know.

The best oil to use is the kind that comes in a container marked "oil"...well, for starters anyway. Diesel oil should only be used in big rigs, otherwise you will be seized with continual urges to pull into truck stops and use phoney sounding "Southern" accents on the CB.

Oh! They say I have to go quietly now. Bye!

Andy

Oil!! Just change it as you should. That is the most important thing. Use a good brand without friction modifiers. I have been using Castrol 20/50 since the early 60's. Off the shelf at Wally World. Never had a oil related problem. I won't pay the prices for motorcycle oil. I have other things to waste money on.

I run 40 front 42 rear in tires. Running at max called for on sidewall is best way to go with most. Tire pressure is important in handling.

NGKs the book calls for are great plugs. You can spend a lot more but I'm not sure you gain anything. A C plugs also work well and at a buck and a half hard to beat for quick tune up. NGKs seem to last better.

You do need a tool to remove bolts in bottom of tubes to do seals and I can't remember right now. It might be in our tech library.

Progressives?? Again I don't remember who I got them from. Do a search for them or somebody should know.

Yup, a so called contractor, aside from Ebay. :duck:

I'm usually about 2 PSI below max pressure, as well.

I use the NGK DPR7EA9 (slightly hotter for doing a lot of short trips).

10MM allen bolt holding the damper rod in place (from the bottom). 15/16 headed bolt, that is double nutted, to hold damper rod still for re-assy (best to weld bolt, nuts & socket together if not pulling fork tubes, for work).

Dennis Kirk, M.A.W. amongst others for the progressive fork springs. :mo money:

Thanks guys...

I ordered the Progressives from some forum troll named Sky-doc last night. :confused24: sorry ... Sky_doc..got caught up in the moment.

Thanks for the information...many more questions to follow...:cool10:

At least, you used a higher class troll, than found on craigslist. :stickpoke:

About all you need for the forks is:

17mm allen for the top caps. I use a 1/2 drive. About $18 to $30 bucks depending on your supplier.

10mm allen for the bottom retainer bolt. ( I'm thinking it's 10mm)

A section of PVC will work as a seal driver.

A section of 5/8" All Thread with nuts locked on each end to hold the dampner in place while up use the 10mm to remove the retainer bolt.

Cheap and easy.

And I think Earl mentioned his blockoff plates. Nice clean way to get rid of the anti-dives and smooth out the front end.

About all you need for the forks is:

17mm allen for the top caps. I use a 1/2 drive. About $18 to $30 bucks depending on your supplier.

10mm allen for the bottom retainer bolt. ( I'm thinking it's 10mm)

A section of PVC will work as a seal driver.

A section of 5/8" All Thread with nuts locked on each end to hold the dampner in place while up use the 10mm to remove the retainer bolt.

Cheap and easy.

And I think Earl mentioned his blockoff plates. Nice clean way to get rid of the anti-dives and smooth out the front end.

Thanks..yes Earl has been very helpful and mentioned the plates. After soul searching decided that the wife wouldn't accept them as a CHRISTmas present, and the Victoria's Secret was a better, and much healthier, choice for me to make.

Its going to be a loooooong winter!!

Yepper...for you guys... I get to ride year round out here in the wild west. Of course I will try my best not to rub it in or anything...Like today..when I ride across town in clear skies and 50ish +/- weather...You see, we keep that frozen ice crap in the freezer where it belongs....:rasberry:

:rotfl:

I still have 8 days left to be riding this year before I am required by law to park the bike.

Rode the bike in to work today and will take the long way back home. Forecast for next week looks to be good riding weather also. So there....:rasberry:

I think WI has given up on snow.

The total from the last SEVEN snow "storms" so far in this December was a whopping 1.1 inches.