IGNORED

Broken trike got home

tbbrider

Finally got home after some crazy days of burnedout clutch.the bike ran great thu the backroads of Ky,Ill,and Mo. Got to Branson,got in traffic on the hills clutch started slipping. On the 3rd hill had to pull over it quite moving.Called AAA to haul the bike to the timeshare 3 miles away ,they said NO because I didn't have RV coverage.Had to leave it in a parking lot.Called the Yamaha dealer in Harrison Ark.they said it would cost between $450 to $500 to fix and $150-$180 to get a rollback to haul it 38miles to the dealer.So I knew where to go,VENTURERider forum.The responce was overwheming.First Etcswtoe called with names of members close to Branson ,second Dik01 ,who live about 50 miles away, calle d and offered to get a trailer to take it to the dealer,third Randy R called told me of condor post of bleeding the clutch and then called Goose to call me, and then Goose called me .He talked me out of taking it to the dealer.He walked me step by step how to Repair the clutch and also the phone number of where to get the new clutch.Followed PCW"s and GOOse"s instructions ,had the bike's clutch in 1 1/2 hrs. ANyone can put a clutch in it is simple fix.My Brother-in-law was so supprised my the calls that he has applied for membership.Anyone who doesn't join a club like this one has to be nuts. YOU RIDERS made me realize that there are still people in this country who care. TO ALL THE CLUB MEMBERs WHO HELP ME I WANT TO GIVE YOU A SPECIAL THANK YOU.

Edited by tbbrider

Yah! One big happy family!!

Unfortunately with us trikes, we put a bigger load on the clutch. Mine started slipping after just one season. Hopefully Goose told you about the heavy duty clutch that Yamaha makes. Do a search here, there is a nice step by step installation guide with pictures on this site.

Mr. Goose is one of the most knowledgeable and downright helpful people on this site!!

Yah! One big happy family!!

Unfortunately with us trikes, we put a bigger load on the clutch. Mine started slipping after just one season. Hopefully Goose told you about the heavy duty clutch that Yamaha makes. Do a search here, there is a nice step by step installation guide with pictures on this site.

Mr. Goose is one of the most knowledgeable and downright helpful people on this site!!

I am going to guess that this is a problem when you convert to a trike? I am questioning because I have found a hannigan venture for my dad and am wondering if we should just go ahead and replace it. It is an 08 with only 10K on it. i was thinking the barrnett or the PWC (?). I have upgrade my clutch in my 07 two wheeler with the full plate and stronger spring but didnt know if that is good enough for a trike.

Now all to do is sell my dad 99 goldwing trike.

Seeing this post about getting his bike towed made me think about mytowing plan. I am a member of Gwrra (Goldwing Road Riders Association) I became a member when I rode a wing and have kept it. I pay $60.00 a year to be a member and this includes a thing called rescue plus. This covers me and my family (wife and daughter) in anything they are riding in or driving. They will come and get you and tow you up to 100 miles, not the closect place but a place of you choice, they will also bring gas, unlock your car if keys are in it, change a tire or what ever. They will also do this up to 11 times a year. The best thing is when they do the work you do not owe anything what so ever. It has been a life saver for us. In the last year we have had my p/u towed 2 times, the wifes car 1 time my daughter has unlocked 3 different peoples cars she was with and I had Aussie Annies Harley Trike towed when it broke down on the way to Vogel (when Harley wouldn't come and get the brand new bike) You also get a magazine every month with the membership. For those that have other tow deals you might want to check into it. For those that have daughters who are at home or college it is worth the peice of mind knowing she is a phone call away from help coming.

I would strongly suggest to anyone who has just converted or planning on converting to a trike to also upgrade the clutch springs. My bike had 20 k on it when I converted to three wheels. Within 5k I was just starting to get some slippage in 5th gear at highway speeds and sometimes in 4th if running the rpms up accelerating strongly. I put in the PCW kit and haven't had a problem with slippage since. I now am getting close to the 48k numbers on the odometer. On average you'll be adding about 400 lbs more weight to the bike when converting to a trike. It don't sound like a like but it's enough to cause premature wear on the clutch.

Larry

Edited by Carbon_One

Seeing this post about getting his bike towed made me think about mytowing plan. I am a member of Gwrra (Goldwing Road Riders Association) I became a member when I rode a wing and have kept it. I pay $60.00 a year to be a member and this includes a thing called rescue plus. This covers me and my family (wife and daughter) in anything they are riding in or driving. They will come and get you and tow you up to 100 miles, not the closect place but a place of you choice, they will also bring gas, unlock your car if keys are in it, change a tire or what ever. They will also do this up to 11 times a year. The best thing is when they do the work you do not owe anything what so ever. It has been a life saver for us. In the last year we have had my p/u towed 2 times, the wifes car 1 time my daughter has unlocked 3 different peoples cars she was with and I had Aussie Annies Harley Trike towed when it broke down on the way to Vogel (when Harley wouldn't come and get the brand new bike) You also get a magazine every month with the membership. For those that have other tow deals you might want to check into it. For those that have daughters who are at home or college it is worth the peice of mind knowing she is a phone call away from help coming.

Do you have to be a Goldwing owner to get this coverage? I have had it with AAA.

Do you have to be a Goldwing owner to get this coverage? I have had it with AAA.

No, but you do have to join as an auxiliary member which costs about 5 or 10 bucks more. I was a GWRRA member for one year but I didnt renew because of a large rate increase. I didnt participate much either, which was another factor in not renewing. But that towing/emergency package IS worth the money.

No you do not. I don't have a goldwing any longer. Triple A won't tow your bike unless you have RV coverage.

Here is a link to rescue plus you can check it out

http://www.gwrra.org/Scripts/4Disapi.dll/4DCGI/store/StoreItems.html?Action=Find_Store_Items&Time=-882736109&SessionID=9835953731270hmaw4ajw89991b579f8h61l9y72wora84u969na9av050p028f2

Glad that you made it back home. In these days it's good to be a member of a site where people that you've never met step up and help you solve your problems. There's not enough that can be said for the "family" attitude of our website and for the way that the members take care of each other.

Glad that you made it back home. In these days it's good to be a member of a site where people that you've never met step up and help you solve your problems. There's not enough that can be said for the "family" attitude of our website and for the way that the members take care of each other.

I'll 2nd that and add in that it's another great reason to spend the $12 a year to be a member here. :thumbsup2:

Larry