IGNORED

Is Rustoleum paint best??

GolfVenture

That is exactly what I used on mine. It has only been since last February that I painted it but thereis no peeling or rust returning so far. Since my Markland hitch parts were very rust when I started, I first scraped off all of the loose rust and paint with a wire wheel in a drill and then I used the Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer.

I've been using the Rusty Rattles and then a couple of coats of clear coat over that. The clear coat I get from NAPA, can't remember the name of the stuff off hand but it seems to help a bunch with the finish. Keeps the scratches down anyway.

Not a fast dry time, it takes about 5 days to cure so if you're in a hurry.......:bang head:

Mike

I just finished stripping the paint off the markland hitch mounting hardware and now ready to paint it. My plan is to use black Rustoleum, it there something better, that one can recommend?

Powder coating, or enameling would be better, but for painting Rustoleum is about as good as you will get.

Rustoleum is called "Hammerite" in the UK, and it is the standard paint used on wrought iron fencing, and car towing brackets :)

Good to read that I made a good guess. I just returned from Wall Mart and saw several Rustoleum options. I ended up selecting Rustoleum "Hammerite". Protects from rust, A hard finish and resists scratches. Going to go out and clean the hitch hardware and put on the 1st coat.

I think it's krylon that walmart sells for around $4 a can. Awesome stuff, had a buddy paint part of the roof on my vehicle after the paint peeled off. Looked awesome from $8 and 20' away.

Krylon is great on plastic ... Walmart sells Rustoleum too.

Krylon is a great color paint. I used it on the interior of a car I was customizing and it matched the outside excellently. But for the underside or anything that is going to be outside Rustolium of Tremclad is another that is very good on the rusty going to get dirty things. As for the clear coat ... yup if you can get some clear over top it will last that much longer.

I have been doing the deck of my boat to restore it... the best product for boat decks in "Spar" varnish.... I bought a can and sure enough it is a Rustolium product.

You spraying or brushing

Spraying from just a spray can. Already done. Attached a picture, looks really good. Will give it another spray in the morning. My NewToMe 91 VR looks like new (6700 miles) and the thought of putting on rusty and old painted hitch hardware would bother me so I striped it all to bear metal. I will soon post pictures of my NewToMe 91 VR.

It is drying with a hard shine. Does anyone still think I should spray with clear. If so what kind of clear?

Had my daughter help me paint an outdoor fireplace with Rustoleum spray can paint.

Of course first step was to shake the can until it stopped rattling.

This went on for about 10 minutes before I let her in on the little secret.!!!!!

Your mean, just plain mean, But I will have to use that one on the grand kids........