IGNORED

Clutch Basket Teeth!!!

Hi my 2000 venture's clutch started to slip about a week after ownership in 5th mainly so i decided to source a extra clutch spring to pop in there and hopefully sort the problem, but i decided to pop over to a local v-max spares guy i know. I bought a complete basket with plates etc . Well my original is a H basket, and the v-max one has a scruffy E marked on the back if that means anything on the max's .

Well im yet to try it to see if it eliminates the whine as im waiting for a gasket , but i thought you might like a few picks i took to show the difference in the teeth . V-max on the left has noticably narrower teeth to the original H Basket .

Does anyone know if the I basket has Narrower Teeth compared to the H ??

Oh and a pic of my clutch basket tool welded a big screwdriver to a spare clutch plate :stirthepot: lol

I truly hope this works for you. However.....I am not all that hopeful, and here is why.

The stock basket is an H designation. Yamaha's recommended "fix" is to install the I basket. Your Vmax basket is an E, and the teeth are thinner. By deduction, that leads me to believe that the teeth get thicker as the letter designation goes up. And, my experience with the I basket leads me to this same conclusion. When I first installed the I basket in my 99 RSV, it took probably 80% of the offending noise away. Enough so that I was a happy camper and could live with it. Unfortunately, I had the same experience as many others who have installed the I basket....the longer I rode it the more the noise came back. After 5000 miles most of the chirp was back.

So, I surmise that the "fix" is to install a basket with less clearance, not more. But when that new basket "wears in", the noise comes back.

I hope I am wrong......wouldn't be the first time!

Hi . My noise wasnt to bad really it was just that the clutch had started to slip, and i had read the thread ref the guy who had fitted a 1st gen basket which he reckoned was the same as the v-max one and the whine / chirp had gone . So thought id give it ago . If no better ill leave in if worse ill swap back round . Thanks Edge

:) Yep im smiling . As soon as id pulled away from the house i could tell it was quieter. Alot quieter in the first three gears about 70% i reckon, and nothing at all in forth or fifth unless i really laboured it at a far slower speed than you would normally do in those gears. I then experimented at higher than normal cruising speeds from 45-90mph in forth silent and from 50-100mph in fifth silent also . Very happy indeed and also adding the v-max spring to mine and putting a full size plate in has stopped the slippage.

If i remember back to my early days as a car technician i think i remember having to adjust Jaguar rear diffs and you could over tighten the cogs on those and get an awful Whining ? Maybe the same with these and if its more tight in one place than another maybe thats where the chirping comes from. Hey just a guess . But i do know the V-Max one had narrower teeth and is much quieter. But i think ill keep the old one just incase the noise comes back . Cheers Edge

Please update us again later. Say maybe after you have ridden her for another 5,000 or so. Would be appreciated by many. Could be a fix for this. I had mine changed also and like FreezyRider, the wine came back at about another 5,000 or so.

Fuzzy

none, there just shaved a bit different. I am not getting my hopes up about the Vmax

yet until he has at least 4K on.. I am on my 7th Basket now. :whistling: this last one seems to be pretty good though...... If you guys just run the bike over 32K you will not hear the whine.

none, there just shaved a bit different. I am not getting my hopes up about the Vmax

yet until he has at least 4K on.. I am on my 7th Basket now. :whistling: this last one seems to be pretty good though...... If you guys just run the bike over 32K you will not hear the whine.

Cougar what does this mean...run it over 32k? Does that mean miles? Cause if it does mine is worse now at 52,000 than it was at 32.000

32 thousand RPM I have a tach so that really helps me.. anymore I just keep

my rpm's above that and there is no whine. bike runs much better anyways

at the higher RPM's took me a long time to stay out of 5th gear. no need to

go there unless your doing 70 plus.

32 thousand RPM I have a tach so that really helps me.. anymore I just keep

my rpm's above that and there is no whine. bike runs much better anyways

at the higher RPM's took me a long time to stay out of 5th gear. no need to

go there unless your doing 70 plus.

She must SCREAM at that rpm ... no wonder you can't hear the whine .. :stickpoke: :stickpoke: :D

Guest scarylarry
She must SCREAM at that rpm ... no wonder you can't hear the whine .. :stickpoke: :stickpoke: :D

Got to have a jet engine in it..

Bet he don't group ride much.:rotf::rotf::rotf:

Neil,

I can tell you that changing from an "H" to an "E" basket primary driven gear, will turn your bike into a screamer. In other words the teeth will be meshed too closely with no or little lash what so ever. If you have an "H" that is unbearable noisy, your only option is to go UP to a "I" basket. In fact I suspect that you may not even get this basket gear to mesh with your primary gear because it will be so tight. I speak from experience.

Hope this helps,

Rick

Rick

Hi my 2000 venture's clutch started to slip about a week after ownership in 5th mainly so i decided to source a extra clutch spring to pop in there and hopefully sort the problem, but i decided to pop over to a local v-max spares guy i know. I bought a complete basket with plates etc . Well my original is a H basket, and the v-max one has a scruffy E marked on the back if that means anything on the max's .

Well im yet to try it to see if it eliminates the whine as im waiting for a gasket , but i thought you might like a few picks i took to show the difference in the teeth . V-max on the left has noticably narrower teeth to the original H Basket .

Does anyone know if the I basket has Narrower Teeth compared to the H ??

Oh and a pic of my clutch basket tool welded a big screwdriver to a spare clutch plate :stirthepot: lol

Surely looking at the picture i provided looking at the E basket it has visibly narrower teeth at the top and seems about the same at the base. So it shouldnt be a case it runs to tightly ? But all i can say is its fitted and is alot quieter ? Ill see how it progresses over the next few months .Cheers

• 3 weeks later...