IGNORED

Need to replace factory HORN

thecount

Okay, the wimpy factory horn has to go. Too many close calls.

I know the riders here have changed to after markets. Which one fits the factory mount/location?

And has anyone mounted a horn in a front forward location?

Thanks in advance for you comment/recommendations.

+1 on the Stebel and the CarbonOne bracket.

Word of caution (and this applies to any installation of electrical items on a vehicle) - Disconnect the battery when doing the wiring. A stray wire while installing can cause all sorts of trouble.

Let us know if you have questions. Many of us on here have done this installation. Some of us have even done this installation successfully :stickpoke:.

RR

Another vote for the Stebel. Larry's bracket and wiring will save you a lot of hassle.

I also added a set of Fiamm ultra-loud electrics inside the fairing. I remove the horn that was in the left lower, routed a set of wires up into the front fairing, and added a relay to fire the Fiamms. They came from Pep Boys. Reasonable price. Adds nicely to the Stebel. This thread shows how I did it. There's other stuff not related to the horns, but you can get the idea from the pics.

FYI, Stebel also makes a "truck" horn I'd like to add, but I haven't figured out where yet. As far as I can tell it only comes in black. Not pretty, but one can never have too many horns.

Compact twin boat horns, stainless steel. Pretty much weather proof, rated at 106 Db if I remeber correctly. Available from multiple vendors, here's one.

add-on: Is 2005 RSV 1st GEN? News to me.

Edited by Freebird
Removed link at the request of the company. Don't know what their problem is.

For those in Ontario looking for a Stebel... not easy to find here. When I got mine the cost was $62 and I got mine from :

Dual Sport Plus

905-664-8811

221 Barton St, Stoney Creek, ON, L8E2K3

I called Steve and gave him another vote on Carbon_One's bracket and wiring harness and gave him the info on the vendor. Steve said that Chad has the Stebel's in stock and will have them for the WNY meet.... just in case anyone else needs one. (don't we all?)

FYI... PM Larry (Carbon_One) if you want the bracket and wiring. He might not respond for a week or so but he did say he might be at Pioneer on Aug 19th.

Stebel and Larry's wiring kit will be an ease to install.

I have enjoyed using mine this year, on too many occasions. Wait untill there real close then lay on it. You can watch them jump, sure is funny. Just make sure you have somewhere to go if they come at you. :think:

Brad

I put a WOLO Bad Boy on my 99 where the factory horn used to be. Works great and less expensive than others. Got mine on ebay for $25 plus shipping so it came out to around $34 all total. Check them out before investing in one that's more expensive. Buying the adapter that everyone suggest is a REAL SMART move.

George

I bought the fake Stebel horn from Harbor Freight and mounted it on the original bracket for the stock horn on the right side. I used the original wiring and horn button to activate the relay to fire the horn. The relay is wired direct to the battery thru a fuse. The pic is not vey good because I took it with my old camera phone.

It sure gets peoples attention!

Jim

I mounted a pair of Rivco air horns on the left side of my 1st gen (I'll take pics and post 'em later). I picked it up used for $25 including the chrome horns, compressor and relay along with the associated wiring from an owner retiring his Harley. It meant having to fashion a bracket to attach to the existing horn location, but it was fairly easy using some 1/8" aluminum flat stock I had laying around. I mounted the compressor and relay under the radio inside the left fairing. This made for a really clean looking install.

I was unimpressed with the sound initially (sounded more like a sick cow than anything else). So, I tested the horns using compressed air. They worked great!. Because it was a used item and I had no idea how old it was, the compressor was questionable. So, I went online and found that a [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Wolo-808C-Replacement-Compressor/dp/B000GVPEYU]Amazon.com: Wolo 808C Replacement Compressor: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31iLVA6oYhL.@@AMEPARAM@@31iLVA6oYhL[/ame] existed (25 psi vs. 15). Once I got that puppy installed, I was happy! It has the sound signature of an 18 wheeler. I don't activate my horn often, but when I do...I want people to notice!

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n163/coy55boy/83%20Venture%20trailer%20hitch/Horn1.jpghttp://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n163/coy55boy/83%20Venture%20trailer%20hitch/Horn3.jpghttp://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n163/coy55boy/83%20Venture%20trailer%20hitch/Horn2.jpg

Edited by coy55boy
Adding pics as promised...