IGNORED

Good advice for all to follow, two or twenty.

FuzzyRSTD

I thought this would be good for some to have. Good advise of the best way to ride in different situations. I like it and suppose some others would also. Some people just do not understand the safety issues involved in riding in a group or just a couple bikes. Please keep your speed and distance with the leader and the crowd. Do not be a slacker or a speed freak. It is really fun to enjoy a good ride and not have to worry so much about the process. Just click on the play buttons and check it out. Oh Ya,you can play PAC MAN after you have read it, bottom right corner. Neat stuff that someone has spent a lot of time on.:thumbsup2:

http://www.sunsethog.com/groupRiding.html

Fuzzy

Edited by FuzzyRSTD
pac man

Thanks for the post, never have ridden with a group that followed the stay on your side when going through curves especially on the Dragon. Did have a guy from work ride with us and the others told me not to invite him back. I had never rode with a group till I joined Venture Riders and rode with the Sleeperhawks and I have been riding for 41 years took me awhile to get comfortable and I still have alot to learn.

Good viewing. The only thing I would add is that the group I ride with most of the time uses either a double or single line depending on the road. When on a road that demands alot of turns, we just signal "1" meaning ride in a single file line. That allows us to use the whole lane through the "twistys". I find that groups riding does take a little practice but it makes many rides, IMHO, a little safer in that we all know what the next person is going to do.

I don't think I would ride with that group.

Their "rules" require a higher danger level than I am comfortable with.

I know of one biker that was seriously inured and lost his wife due to those same type of rules.

Just curious, what did you find dangerous?

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know about flyinfool, but I found the double file in tight turns as dangerous. Like another poster, we signal single file when in situations where turns are tight and sight lines poor or the road is just narrow. The link listed didn't give single file as an option.

also, I am not sure about putting the least experienced at the very back. Many times we have put them at the front, this assumes that they are decent riders, but maybe not as adventurous. In our STAR group, we always ride to the level of the least among us. This way we don't leave anyone behind. By having the slower bikes up front, there won't be a big gap develop because the lead bike can keep a close eye on them. We also sometimes put the ricky racer types at the back, and they can hang back if they want and goose it sometimes. I am not crazy about this, but we have a couple people that we know well, and we would rather do this than have them run on ahead and maybe not notice if the group has to stop suddenly.

This last (least up front) is something we have debated, but it works most of the time. If the least is REALLY a bad rider, then we try to pull over talk with the rider, and sometimes let an experienced rider that knows the route stay with this rider while the rest of the group goes on ahead. Sometimes, depending on how far we have gone, the slower rider may opt to go back home.

Good animation, and some good advice, as always, I recommend people choose those things that work for them, and modify or add to their safety and riding rules as necessary!

Just curious' date=' what did you find dangerous?[/quote']

Requiring double file thru tight curves which eliminates a lot of escape route options.

Requiring you to be only one second behind the bike in front of you.

Requiring newer riders to ride above their skill and/or comfort level or go home.

As I mentioned above I personally know of someone that ended up seriously injured and his wife died because he did not have the skill to "keep up" thru some quick turns. He was also pressured to put the helmets in the trunk so he did not look like a rookie. His wife died of head injuries.

He is a good friend but I will NOT ride with him.

I don't know about flyinfool, but I found the double file in tight turns as dangerous. Like another poster, we signal single file when in situations where turns are tight and sight lines poor or the road is just narrow. The link listed didn't give single file as an option.

also, I am not sure about putting the least experienced at the very back. Many times we have put them at the front, this assumes that they are decent riders, but maybe not as adventurous. In our STAR group, we always ride to the level of the least among us. This way we don't leave anyone behind. By having the slower bikes up front, there won't be a big gap develop because the lead bike can keep a close eye on them. We also sometimes put the ricky racer types at the back, and they can hang back if they want and goose it sometimes. I am not crazy about this, but we have a couple people that we know well, and we would rather do this than have them run on ahead and maybe not notice if the group has to stop suddenly.

This last (least up front) is something we have debated, but it works most of the time. If the least is REALLY a bad rider, then we try to pull over talk with the rider, and sometimes let an experienced rider that knows the route stay with this rider while the rest of the group goes on ahead. Sometimes, depending on how far we have gone, the slower rider may opt to go back home.

Good animation, and some good advice, as always, I recommend people choose those things that work for them, and modify or add to their safety and riding rules as necessary!

I like what your said here dynodon. I would agree and we also have to always consider those with the least experience. I like to ride the casual/laid back enjoy the scenery type 45-50 MPH group riding. However I have rode with some that are experienced riders on their own, but when it comes to riding in the group, they are always slacking so far behind that you wonder why they even come with the group. The others are always looking behind to see if they are alright. This can be dangerous, and very annoying to the rest of the group because they are allowing for other vehicles to get in the mix and become a problem.Then I have rode with some that are only worried about how many miles they get in that day, to the point that they become annoying to everyone else. One person in mind did not even like stopping for fuel and when he did, it was always," lets go, lets go, can't get very far like this." Myself and good friend JD, left this fellow and went our own way. Sometimes that is the best thing to do if you want to enjoy a good ride.

Fuzzy

Requiring double file thru tight curves which eliminates a lot of escape route options.

Requiring newer riders to ride above their skill and/or comfort level or go home.

As I mentioned above I personally know of someone that ended up seriously injured and his wife died because he did not have the skill to "keep up" thru some quick turns. He was also pressured to put the helmets in the trunk so he did not look like a rookie. His wife died of head injuries.

I seem to not understand your second comment. MSF states to ride one second behind the bike you are STAGGERED with, and two seconds behind the bike DIRECTLY IN FRONT of you. This website seems to say the same thing, and this is accepted practice anywhere I have ever ridden. Riding farther apart than that in traffic opens the group up to more dangers than it resolves. Where in thier site does it say different?

MSF does support "single file" in curvy sections of road, with two seconds between each bike. I totally agree with your first comment.

I will not let an unknown rider ride in our group without some basic questioning of thier experience. If they have limited group experience, I put them on the "wing" and keep an eye on them. If thier lack of ability threatens the safety of the group or excessively slows them, break them off with an experienced rider one-on-one. So, i agree with your third comment.

BUT thier site does also mention to ride at your own ability and pull off if you can't keep up. If your buddy chose to ride with a group above his ability, that is on him. He should have said "I AM a rookie" and went home.

Riding to Don's MD this year was my first real experience riding with a group....and although it was nearly all on slab it was still a learning experience.

The one question I have from the animation is about "never crossing over" to fill in.

If a rider in front of you leaves the group, how else can you fill in if not by crossing over?

If the bike behind you (same side as the the gap) is following at least 1 second behind, I don't see the problem....as long as you signal your intentions of course

I belive it is 1 second behind the bike to the left or right of you. 2 seconds behind the bike directly in front of you. I also prefer single file through the bends with a 3 second interval. In the bends a bike can go down pretty quick for any number of unforseen reasons and going down while in a turn usually means going side ways as well as forward.

sorry to hear about your friend flyinfool but sure seems like the people he was riding with were not his friends and he paid the price for it unfortanently.anybody that tries to push someone beyond there skill is an idiot and should not be riding. it is a shame however that personal apperance means so much to some people that they would not wear there helment or riding gear just to fit in. guess thats why i'm a loner most of the time,just never fit in most groups and refused to change myself to fit in. the good news is i fit in here so i'm happy,well most of the time.:bluesbrother:

I do a fair bit of group riding. A couple of thoughts from the Coast Riders Road Captain Training.

Groups should be no more than 6 bikes. If there are 7 bikes... one group of 4, one of 3. Smaller groups are easier to manage in traffic, either in town or on a highway. It is true that, out on quiet country back roads, two or threee groups may come together, but we also tend to space out and enjoy the scenery!

Each group has a road captain at front and back who know the route and the next destination / stop. It's good if everyone knows, but I often find many are simply interested in following, and will go wherever they are led!

The purpose of group discipline is safety for the individuals in the group and providing other road users with the message that these bikes are a group, and as far as possible, should be treated as a single vehicle (a large semi?) when overtaking. A tight, small group is also likely to get through most traffic lights without getting split up.

The question of the slow rider(s): First choice is to have a spirited group and a sedate group, and match riders to there preference, skull level, and riding style. But, given a situation with five bikes, one of which is unknown to me, I will go through the group ride guidelines, and put that person in second position, so I can keep an eye on abilities and style.

In a group of known riders, my preference is to put the faster riders in front. This way, they are not pressuring the slower guys into over-stretching themselves. The difference between riders mostly comes in the twisties... which is also where the fun is! So... the fast riders can blast through the twisties, and slow down when the road straightens out. Once the slower riders are through, they can speed up and re-group.

I really like the last graphic in the op which shows one bike hanging back at a corner when the bike behind has dropped back! It's something we try to do both in town and in the country... always keep an eye on the bike behind you. Funny, that doesn't always happen!:whistling:

My Club's "Group Riding Protocols" are available from the "Ride Calendar" page at www.coastriders.ca.

Ride Safe, and Ride Your Own Ride!

Sorry to hear about your friend Flyinfool. I used to go short trips on hot days without the helmet but no more. I was at the Emergency Room in Lexington,Ky UK hospital with my Mother In Law and while there the EMT brought in a motorcycle accident victim with head injuries. He was in really bad shape and talking out of his head. I later that night talked to the group he was with and they told me what happened. He wrecked in a twisty at around no more than 35 mile an hour they said, and he was not wearing his helmet. All his injury was to his head. From that day forward I promised my wife that I would always wear my helmet. I wear a shorty helmet always in hot weather and have a full face for cooler weather. Again, I am sorry to hear of your friend's loss...

Fuzzy