IGNORED

just a clutch or more

saddlebum

I have started to notice that at idle and only when hot, a dry metallic type rattling noise is coming from the area of my clutch cover accompinied by a slight vibration. I'm thinking clutch but before I pull it apart I am wondering if this could be an indication of more issues that I may find inside. Anyone Else ever run into this?

Edited by saddlebum

saddlebum;

your symptoms sound almost esactly like mine.

Check out; search my post from a few days ago labeled

Need clutch Help!

Read what i have described and some of the replys.

let me know if you think we may have the same situation??

Have you taken apart your clutch assembly as of yet??

if not I can help you thru it.

thanks a lot

Have a great day

Mark

Some noise when idling is probably normal. Both of my "99" have some clutch noise until I pull in the clutch handle. My lt900 kawasaki also made a little raddle noise . but then it was a Kawasaki.:crackup:Maybe Goose or Freebird will add to this,they Know this bikes inside and out. Heck,everything I know about my bikes i picked up here. Great bunch of people here.

It is only noticable when the bike is hot after a short run and pulling the clutch in or even having it in gear with the clutch pulled in changes nothing. I first noticed it will idling up the driveway. I then left the bike running with it in gear clutch pulled in noise was still there put in neutral and tried it with clutch in or out no difference. The only time you do not hear it is when the engine is cold.:think:

P/S anyone ever use "gasket eliminator" or "the right stuff" instead of the gasket for the clutch cover. I am thinking of pulling the cover to inspect but the dealer would have to order a gasket in and if I don,t see an issue I would like to avoid down time.

Edited by saddlebum

It is only noticable when the bike is hot after a short run and pulling the clutch in or even having it in gear with the clutch pulled in changes nothing. I first noticed it will idling up the driveway. I then left the bike running with it in gear clutch pulled in noise was still there put in neutral and tried it with clutch in or out no difference. The only time you do not hear it is when the engine is cold.:think:

P/S anyone ever use "gasket eliminator" or "the right stuff" instead of the gasket for the clutch cover. I am thinking of pulling the cover to inspect but the dealer would have to order a gasket in and if I don,t see an issue I would like to avoid down time.

Expect to pay about $20 for the gasket. On mine 1st gear will have a rattle at times when everything is loose. It's not needed to be in gear, for when I plunk it in gear, it clears up, but just sitting there idling it rattles. Maybe that's your problem.

Silicone gasket should work, but you have too make sure there is absolutely no oil in the seal area.

Hey Ben,

I keep that gasket in stock, and can get it right out to you. I have seen where the Clutch Friction Discs become "notched", (one side of the friction disc gets worn) and the friction discs "rattle" in the clutch basket. If the clutch is not actually slipping, then the noise is more an aggravation than anything else. You didn't say how many miles on the motor, but if the friction discs are notched, then I would guess around 50K +/- miles. If you would like that gasket, or would like to chat about other options, please feel free to PM me.:confused24:

Earl

Do a carb synch before you take anything apart. Don't ask me how I know.

How did I miss that? The "99" venture trike I just purchased was noisy,Did a carb synch front 2 cyl.were way off from the back 2. After the synch everything is much quitier. and smoother. Love my carb tune.

Or turn the key off????

Sorry, couldn't resist....:stickpoke:

Ok I tried your suggestion and yes it does go away when I turn the key off. :think:

Do a carb synch before you take anything apart. Don't ask me how I know.
Just had one done at freebirds MD

If it still makes noise when you turn the key off and walk away........you might want to ask your wife what she wants..:whistling::whistling:
NEVER!! I might just get an answer :bang head: Playing dumb :doh: is one of my better skills.:thumbsup2: :Avatars_Gee_George: Edited by saddlebum

I used silicone instead of the gasket and had too problems. Have small oil leaks (two times) also the shifter did not work correctly. Had to move shifter back in to center position each time between shifts. Replaced with correct gasket and the problems went away.

Good luck.