IGNORED

Hagon vs Works Rear Shock

For any future reference the last one I replaced I found taking the battery out and then the battery tray along with..I THINK the floorboards It wasnt a very hard job and the top nut is easily seen and access is simple once the battery box and Battery are removed.Also I think I removed the right saddlebag. Hope this helps anyone in the future changing the rear shock.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still convinced that Works and Hagon come out of the same factory!

The Works shock is different. The clevis or yoke on the Works is much thicker. The spring is probably from the same manufacturer, most likely Eibach.

Thanks, pal!

I ended up taking a run at it with my neighbour guarding against tip-overs......and all went well.

It turns out it IS quite a simple operation once you get your balancing act sorted out on the jack. We just used a couple of pieces of 2X2 lumber.....short ones that fit cross-ways on the jack pads.....lengthwise along the frame rails....which protected the engine just fine.

When we got it up just high enough that the front wheel was off the ground by about an inch or two....the back end was still 'just touching'....which allowed us to rock the bike slightly, front to back when it came time to slide the bolts out.

The new one went in very slick.....and, yes......I'm still convinced that Works and Hagon come out of the same factory!

Cheers,

Mike

P.S. We took both left AND right side covers and passenger boards off for easy access, but not the wheel or the bags. No probs!

So, how do you like the new shock? Is the handling and/or ride improved?

So, how do you like the new shock? Is the handling and/or ride improved?

Noticeable improvement: It feels strange to actually HAVE a working "shock absorber" on the Venture after riding the entire beginning of this season WITHOUT a real suspension system. The other nice thing, of course, is not having to park over a sheet of cardboard: NO MORE DRIPPING!

Different ride: I'm a pretty light guy who normally weighs in at around 180...and the new Hagon shock, installed with the spring pre-load and damping settings unchanged from the way they arrived, FEELS like it might be set for a little heavier rider...maybe a 200 pounder. (or in my case, maybe two-up riding...or riding with at least 50 or 60 pounds of luggage in the bags might feel better.) For ME, riding solo, it feels a little "springier" than it should be; but as I say, I'm probably at the 'underweight' end of the average Venture rider. (The 'guide sheet' that is packed with the shock says, "Hagon monoshocks have a wide load carrying range and are pre-set for average rider weights.")

So when I say I left the settings "unchanged" from the way they arrived, this was with the spring pre-load adjustment collar appearing to be pretty much backed right off. (i.e. with lots of threads left below the collar.)

Damping-wise, although Hagon again says, "Your shock is supplied with medium damping adjustment", (for those ubiquitous "average" riders, I guess), because adjustment is performed with an Allen-head set screw on the side of the shock.....and with no calibration marks on the shock body, changing the damping rate would be a "fly by the seat of the pants" (literally) exercise. Hagon says, "After fitting your shock, adjust the damping to suit individual preference by turning the hexagon socket screw in 1/4-turn increments until the required setting is achieved.

For me, I'm going to just ride this sucker for awhile, enjoying the fact that I actually have a shock absorber (that won't bleed to death on my garage floor!) and let it 'work its way in'. I'm not sure if this makes sense or not, but Hagon themselves say "When adjusting to a softer setting the unit must be worked (my italics, not theirs) before the adjustment willl take effect." So, based on this disclaimer, I'm assuming that the new shock, once installed, will require a little 'working in' regardless of what the settings are. (And to be honest, I haven't actually LOOKED back into the abyss that is the home of the rear shock...virtually HIDDEN behind, below and inside the least accessible portion of the bike...to see just how easy/difficult it might be to make a change to the damper screw!)

BUT.......I'll try to be a loyal, faithful and informative member and report back in a month or so about the performance of the shock once it is (and I am) "seated".

The one recommendation I WILL make now, that I CAN pass along with confidence, is DO REPLACE YOUR SHOCK NOW if it has bled out and/or your bike is wallowing like a beached whale. It's not NEARLY as difficult a job to perform as I thought it would be...and probably ANY brand is going to be better than putting up with a sacked out, bled-out stock unit.

Later,

Michael.

My Works Performance Shock came yesterday. Only took about three weeks. I guess I know my next project...:usa:

It'll be a piece of cake, Jeff. I had my best buddy, a Niagara Regional Police officer who lives across the street (and rides a Suzuki 1400 Intruder) lend me moral and physical support.....so, apparently if there's a "cop in the shop" everything goes smoothly!!

Please call me before, during and/or after you do the deed; I'm MORE than happy to give or trade tricks or tips for this procedure. BTW, set aside a morning to git 'er done; you should be finished by lunch.

Good luck.....not that you'll need it.

Oh, and, two things: make sure when you're undoing the bottom bolt on the shock, that you're not accidentally undoing the bottom bolt of the linkage mechanism ABOVE the shock....like I almost did! (only reason I stopped....and had another look....was because the bolt/nut I WAS reefing on was so damned tight I just about popped a kidney trying!!) When I looked underneath, I realized I was a bit 'higher and forward' of where I should have been. Also, my advice, unless you really want to get into a FULL DAY job, forget about what some people recommend regarding taking the whole linkage thing apart and greasing ALL the bearings. That might be a NUT BUSTER and turn it into a whole day job. (You DO wanna stop at lunch, doncha?!)

Don't forget to call: Mike (905) 938-3553 (cheap call....I'm near Niagara Falls...just 8 hours from you. How do I know? My copper buddy's fiance works for the FBI, near you!)

Cheers!

Gave up on Hagon. Intresting revelation. I was speaking with Hagon USA in California who apparently is a fairly new arm of the factory and without a lot of experiance. While Hagon has had a heavy duty spring version on the drawing board for some time they havnt done anything so Hagon USA info is questionable. It seems our shock take anvery special size that couldnt be used on any other shock so the economics arent there to make one.

I spoke with Dave Quinn who has been the Hagon dealer in the US, he confirmed no heavy duty version is available....

I found out YSS is made in Thailand, sorry, despite some good feedback, im not going there.

So i called Tim at Works today and placed my order ! 3 week lead and $689 ....yikes...but i dont see a better option.

Thx for the feedback.

Gave up on Hagon. Intresting revelation. I was speaking with Hagon USA in California who apparently is a fairly new arm of the factory and without a lot of experiance. While Hagon has had a heavy duty spring version on the drawing board for some time they havnt done anything so Hagon USA info is questionable. It seems our shock take anvery special size that couldnt be used on any other shock so the economics arent there to make one.

I spoke with Dave Quinn who has been the Hagon dealer in the US, he confirmed no heavy duty version is available....

Wow, Andrew, I'm surprised to hear your comments, cause I installed my new Hagon shock two weeks ago....and I'm looking at my invoice here and it says Hagon Shocks LLC, San Marcos California at the top.....and the Part # is M62097......

Description: Yamaha Royal Star Venture XVZ13etc.

There's apparently some kind of disconnect between your Hagon dealer contact, Dave, and what Hagon themselves seem to be selling out of their offices in California.

One of us (for the sake of the group) should make a confirming call to both Hagon offices and their dealer (I have call conferencing and could have them BOTH on the phone at once) and see what the story is!

Regards,

Mike

Yes to be clear..... Im a very "muscular" 300# fellar so a heavy duty spring is in order. "Light weights" can buy from Hagon all day long :) and the CA folks can obviously fill the order.

Ahhhh, so!

Gotcha!

Thanks Andrew and Don, both.

I got all concerned about sources and forgot about 'ratings'.

Since I AM a flyweight.....I forgot all about the heavy duty factor.

Cheers,

Mike.

The question to be asking Hagon is : Is the shock/spring combo designed and rated to handle the maximum load capacity of the bike??

Out of the box, a shock specified for the Venture should be at minimum rated for the Maximum load capacity of the bike. I see the term used that the hagon shock comes with a spring for the Average rider. So can this Hagon shock rated for the average rider also accomodate a passenger?? Or would you need the heavy duty spring that may or may not exist to ride two up with a Hagon shock?

If the shock is servicable, Could you have it fitted with the spring from a dead OEM shock that presumably should have the correct capacity rating.

RSTDdog

If the shock is servicable, Could you have it fitted with the spring from a dead OEM shock that presumably should have the correct capacity rating.

RSTDdog

Now THAT's an interesting question, Derrek. My guess is that a) a dead OEM shock, since the shock is allegedly non serviceable, would be "reluctant" to give up its spring.......and that b) since the OEM only comes in one "flavor".....there wouldn't be any "Heavy Duty" versions to be had anyway. Right?

I, for one, tossed my dead stock shock.......mainly cause I got more "dead" stuff lying around here (for some day when I might just need one little widget off the end of it) than you can shake a spoke at!

Guessin the garbage man was intrigued by that baby. (Glad I didn't have to dispose of it anywhere near a Homeland Security facility....what with the big black cannister...and its airhose hangin out and all!)

Have a good riding day!

Shortly before making the decision of triking my bike the stock stock was doing it's best to be a Hardly imitator. While I still had some warranty time left on the bike I made the decision to go with a Works shock. Talked to the reps there and made the call to go with a beefed up model due to the extra weight of the trike on back. Long story short they increased the load rate over their stock Venture model up 400 lbs. I may not of needed to go that high since I also have adjustable air bags between the body and framework but I also know if for any reason I totally loose air in the air support system that shock will handle the load.

To date a bit over 28000 miles since the conversion with no problems whatever with the Works shock. I also don't think it cost any more than the regular price to order a beefed up unit either. Being over 3 years since doing this the memory box ain't going that far into details.

Larry

I may very well be confused on what you folks are talking about but isn't the spring in question an external spring? The OEM shock does not have an external spring so I don't see how that would be possible.

I was working from memory, have to go see if I can find the thread that has a cut away of the OEM shock, but I recall it has a spring inside of it of some sort. You would have to destroy the shock to get the spring out. I don't know if it would work dimensionally or not, just an idea. Of course the load rating for the OE shock also takes into account the Air Assist. I don't think you can go riding fully loaded with 0psi in the shock (at least it wouldn't be a good idea)

Now THAT's an interesting question, Derrek. My guess is that a) a dead OEM shock, since the shock is allegedly non serviceable, would be "reluctant" to give up its spring.......and that b) since the OEM only comes in one "flavor".....there wouldn't be any "Heavy Duty" versions to be had anyway. Right?

In retrospect as noted above, even if one were to get the spring out, the spring itself without the air assist may not have suffcient capacity on its own. Of course assuming it fits, you could add preload to it.

In another thread on the Hagon shock ( I need to look for it;On edit: Here it is djb47 post about 2/3 way down on page 1 http://venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20363&highlight=Hagon), somone requested one to be built for 500lbs of loading and Hagon said no way. Thats a request not far off from the Maximum load capacity of the bike. Heavy Duty to me implies that the shock (or in this instance Spring used to build it) is adding capacity greater than that of the OE Design.

The implication in the other thread was that the Hagon shock comes equipped with a spring for the "Average Rider". The request for a spring with greater capacity could not be met.

I still want to know, is the Hagon shock currently available for sale rated for the maximum load capacity of the Venture? I haven't seen this question answered. My OE shock with 21K miles is still Ok. I know at some point I will be going down this road and am now out of warranty. I ride two up most of the time. Two up is more weight than the OP alone is. It would be great if the Hagon is a viable alternative and out of the box meets the OEM capacity. As someone suggested in the thread linked above, I suppose I should give them a call.

RSTDdog

Edited by RSTDdog
added link

The question to be asking Hagon is : Is the shock/spring combo designed and rated to handle the maximum load capacity of the bike??

Out of the box, a shock specified for the Venture should be at minimum rated for the Maximum load capacity of the bike. I see the term used that the hagon shock comes with a spring for the Average rider. So can this Hagon shock rated for the average rider also accomodate a passenger?? Or would you need the heavy duty spring that may or may not exist to ride two up with a Hagon shock?

RSTDdog

Hey, Derrek,

I'm not sure exactly what GVW the Hagon "standard-sprung" shock is rated for (in comparison to the factory ratings of the bike).....but, if you go back and look at my original post that you're referring to above: I didn't say "the Hagon shock comes with a spring for the average rider".

I was quoting word-for-word from the reference sheet that came packed with the shock. What it says is........

"Hagon monoshocks have a wide load carrying range and are preset for average rider weights."

Notice, it doesn't say the spring is BUILT for average rider weights....it says it COMES ADJUSTED for average rider weights.

I believe this is only meant to say "there's no need to mess with the shock (pre-load and/or damping) if you are of 'average weight' (presumably somewhere in the 200 lb range). Whereas, if you lean to being "husky".....or a skinny minney........you may want to change the pre-load in one direction or the other.

There was no reference in the included printed matter to the "MAXIMUM" load capacity of the spring...only the settings as delivered in the box. (In fact, I've just spent 15 or 20 minutes scouring the Hagon websites.......both UK and US, and I can't find a reference to 'maximum loading' for their Venture shock anywhere.)

Since they don't seem to get into this spec on any of their shocks........maybe a phone call to speak with them IS in order, Derrek. Good luck, and let us know what they say.

It seems from the below response the Hagon shock can be adjusted for a load range between 175Lbs to about 420lbs max. So its within 23 lbs of Yamahas Max rating. If your use falls in this range, You should be good. Below confirms, As others have stated, it does not seem that Hagon will offer an uprated option anytime soon if at all. I do really like the Hydraulic remote preload adjuster. Fast resposne to my inquiry. I sent it late Saturday via the web, received my inbox this morning at 10:27am EST which is 7:27am PST.

My Inquiry:

Name : Derrek Verlaan

> e-Mail : dXXXXX@XXXXX.net

> Phone : 2XX-6XX-6XXX

> Please contact me regarding...: Hagon Monoshocks

> Subject : Hagon Monoshock for Yamaha Royal Star Venture

> Comments : Inquiring about the Hagon Monoshock for

> Yamaha Royal Star Venture application. I have a 2006 Yamaha Royal Star Tour

> Deluxe, but per Yamaha it uses the same OE shock as the 99 and up ROyal Star

> Venture models. Can you tell me if the base shock you offer for $399 is rated

> for the Maximum load Capacity of the bike, Per Yamaha of 443 Lbs Rider,

> passenger and Luggage?

If not what would be the charge to have the shock made to meet the 443 lb

> manufacturer load capacity? I ride frequently two up with luggage with weight

> near the manufacturer limit.

>

> Thank You for your time and assistance.

>

> Derrek Verlaan

Hagon US Distributor Dave Quinn Motorcyle response (Maggie):

So sorry, not sure we are going to be able to help here.

Hagon monoshocks for your 2006 Royal Star Venture are special order items,

3-4 weeks at this time of year.

Our cost is $394 for a shock with manual spring preload adjustment.

Hagons 'Off-the-shelf' shocks are assembled for an average rider- there is

enough adjustability in the stock shock to cover a range of loading from

175lbs to about 420lbs max (rider, passenger and gear).

Unfortunately at this time Hagons cannot supply an uprated shock for this

application and they have refused orders for loading above that figure. We

have urged them to develop an uprate, as the bulk of North American owners

do load the bikes to the manufacturer's limit and beyond, but an uprate is

not currently available.

Can you give us a breakdown of your loading? Your weight, passenger weight,

luggage weight and estimated max loading?

All the best,

Maggie

Dave Quinn Motorcycles

335 Litchfield Tpke Bethany CT 06524 USA

203-393-2651 FAX 203-393-1725

9-5 M T Th F 9-12 Sa

dqmcs@earthlink.net

www.davequinnmotorcycles.com

My Works Performance Shock came yesterday. Only took about three weeks. I guess I know my next project...:usa:

Ok, the new shock is on the bike. I took a small test ride this evening and the jury is still out. I can tell it is definately stiffer, but not sure how I feel yet. Pretty sure if I was riding two up it would be great. I think after I get more time on it will decide. :confused24:

Ok, the new shock is on the bike. I took a small test ride this evening and the jury is still out. I can tell it is definately stiffer, but not sure how I feel yet. Pretty sure if I was riding two up it would be great. I think after I get more time on it will decide. :confused24:

Funny......your two-up comment......that's exactly the way I felt when I put the Hagon on; as though it were just a bit "springier" than it should be.....like it wanted to be loaded up a bit more.

I, like you, decided I would just let 'er ride for a couple of weeks before even THINKING about playing with any adjustments.

Been out on Bertha (my affectionate name for the behemoth!) 6 or 7 times now with the new shock mounted......and I gotta say, it must be 'working its way in'.....cause I don't even think about it now. I realize that at least part of that is probably just the "familiarity factor".....you know, where your butt just "adapts" to what you set it on over a period of time....so I think I'm gonna trade bikes for half an hour with my Intruder-riding buddy today and see what HE thinks.

He rode Bertha a couple of times with the sacked out shock several months ago....so he might have a more objective opinion of how it's performing. Plus, I'll at least be able to do an A/B comparison of his shocks to mine.

It's times like this I always regret not having pursued my "other" dream job of being a motorcycle magazine journalist......so I could just jump on five or six different sets of wheels on any particular morning.......go for a spin down the Pacific Coast Highway.....and come back with a handful of critical comments on anything from shock performance to acceleration specs. Instead.....here I am trying to remember how my ass bounced up and down a month ago, compared to how it's bouncing up and down today! Arghh.

:cool10:Just returned from a 4,000 mile ride to Canada and back on my new Works Shock. Ride was very smooth and not bouncy and felt very different at first but either the shock got "broken in" or my bottom got use to the ride. Do not regret going with the Works even if a bit more pricey.

:cool10:Just returned from a 4,000 mile ride to Canada and back on my new Works Shock. Ride was very smooth and not bouncy and felt very different at first but either the shock got "broken in" or my bottom got use to the ride. Do not regret going with the Works even if a bit more pricey.

WHEW :)

thx for the update