IGNORED

Need Some Help Near Johnson City TN

Bobby G

En route from the ATL to W.VA, my '99 RSV is experiencing some electrical problems. The scoot crapped out in Greenville SC, so I replaced the battery, and all seemed to be OK. Then it happened again up here in Erwin TN, so I'm thinking it might be the stator.

Any suggestions on dealers or repair locations up here in the Johnson City area that I can contact tomorrow morning? I'm hole up here in a Holiday Inn Express, riding out the bad storms tonight.

FYI, my cell is 770-364-4393 if anybody has any ideas.

Thanks.

you may be able to find a cheap battery charger, and then ride for a couple of hours until its time for coffee and recharge again, it would be slower travelling, but it would get you home until you can get things apart where you have time and tools.

Brian

Guest scarylarry

Try eckmo "Randy" n blount Tn he is about 30 miles from you..

His number is in his profile I'm atleast 5 hrs away...

Bob, I called you back yesterday evening and left a message, but did not get you. I have a stator and a rectifier out of an 83, but do not know if that is useable in a 99.

You can also try Atlas Yamaha in Bristol at 276-669-6666 and Kingsport Cycles at 423-247-3847. These guys don't seem to carry much for our bikes.

RandyA

I'm in Blountville (just outside of Bristol) and will be happy to help in any way I can. I'm heading in to work now and don't get off until 6:00, but if you still need help give me a call. My cell number is 423-676-6328. Good luck.

I can't offer much in the way of help for this situation, but I can say I am truly pleased at the Venture/Yamaha riders going to the aid of a fellow rider.

There is a STAR chapter in Greenville, TN, Jerry Mefford is Pres and there is a dealer there also. I hope everything works out ok.

I am also in charlotte and heading up to Johnson City tomorrow of the SCRC TN Ridge runner. If you find a part located here I can also run it up to you. I agree I dont know if it is the battery. Have you checked to make sure your ground is good on the bike frame? also make sure the terminals are good n tight. Good luck keep us all posted.

Robert "TheKid"

07 blklbl jack venture

This is an extreme solution, but a rider made it back from Mexico to Michagan this way.

Buy a car battery and a couple of heavy cables and a charger. The car battery will keep the bike running for a standard riding day. Recharge overnight. Place the battery in the trunk and run the heavy cables down to the battery box and tie into current cabling. Bypass current bike battery.

Certainly not an elegant solution, but should get you moving. Good luck.

RR

Wrong Way about 5 years ago had a charging issue at Vogel in Georgia. He purchased a 2nd battery, eliminated all unnessecary electrical and with a battery tender charging the unhooked battery during stops, rode the bike back to St. Louis. This also might be an option should you get no resolve from the dealer.

Wrong Way about 5 years ago had a charging issue at Vogel in Georgia. He purchased a 2nd battery, eliminated all unnessecary electrical and with a battery tender charging the unhooked battery during stops, rode the bike back to St. Louis. This also might be an option should you get no resolve from the dealer.

Yeah that was the 1st Vogel and his problem started on the way down there so he ended up riding every day while there and still making it home. Two batteries will make it through the day with out any lighting. BUT he sure you have a BRAKE light and you may get some grief from a LEO for not having a headlight but I think you can make it home.

BOO

Twice (on 2 different 1st Gens) my bike developed grounded stators while I was on trips. The first time, I noticed that the voltmeter was real low at idle, but at speed with nothing on but the headlight it would charge a tiny bit and the voltmeter would gradualy rise some. We still had a couple of days left on the trip and we got by and made it home OK. Last summer, I didn't notice the voltmeter and the first thing I noticed was that it was cranking slow. The next morning when we left the motel, I turned off the cruise, the radio, intercom and CB--nothing extra turned on. We traveled for 3 days and had no problems. We got by on the tiny headway that the charging system could make at highway speed. On both first gens, I also forced the clutch lever full out to make sure the switch kept the starter off and then pushed the start button in while we were going down the interstate. This turned the headlight off and lowered the bikes required currrent and the voltage would shoot back up to normal and the battery could charge better. Do 2nd gens turn off the headlight when cranking?

To get by, you need to limit slow speed operation. If you made it from Greenville SC to Western TN your charging somewhat. Charge the battery and head for home. Fix it there--it's far easier.

Frank D.

Many many thanks for all of the offers of assistance. I've been sans computer for a few days on this trip, so here's what transpired.

Randy (great guy!) turned me on to Jim's M/C sales in Johnson City, who got my scoot in first thing Thursday morning to check it out. Turns out Jim's is a good customer of ours with Kawasaki and Suzuki (my clients), and their VP/GM, Kirk Hayes, is an absolute saint. He had his guys drop everything and work on my RSV. Fortunately it was a regulator, not the stator, so they found one, installed it and I was on my way in about 2 hours.

If every in the JC area, be sure to patronize this dealer. I surely will. Kirk is a true supporter, a patriot and a genuinely good man.

Very glad to hear that you got fixed up, and that it wasn`t as bad as first thought, will be going to TN. in Aug. so if in the area, I will stop by.. always good to hear of a great dealer..

K

Many many thanks for all of the offers of assistance. I've been sans computer for a few days on this trip, so here's what transpired.

Randy (great guy!) turned me on to Jim's M/C sales in Johnson City, who got my scoot in first thing Thursday morning to check it out. Turns out Jim's is a good customer of ours with Kawasaki and Suzuki (my clients), and their VP/GM, Kirk Hayes, is an absolute saint. He had his guys drop everything and work on my RSV. Fortunately it was a regulator, not the stator, so they found one, installed it and I was on my way in about 2 hours.

If every in the JC area, be sure to patronize this dealer. I surely will. Kirk is a true supporter, a patriot and a genuinely good man.

Thanks for the update Bobby and I am glad it worked out for you. I wish you had given me a call as I live about a mile from the Yamaha shop and would like to have met you.

It is interesting in the turn around that dealer has made since it was purchased by Jim's a couple of years ago. I used to drive past it and go all the way to Kingsport for about anything I needed. I appreciate you making the positive comments you did and will let Kurt know what you said on here.

If you are ever in this area again, give me a shout and maybe we can have a meal or some ice cream together.

RandyA

Thanks for the update Bobby and I am glad it worked out for you. I wish you had given me a call as I live about a mile from the Yamaha shop and would like to have met you.

It is interesting in the turn around that dealer has made since it was purchased by Jim's a couple of years ago. I used to drive past it and go all the way to Kingsport for about anything I needed. I appreciate you making the positive comments you did and will let Kurt know what you said on here.

If you are ever in this area again, give me a shout and maybe we can have a meal or some ice cream together.

RandyA

Thanks Randy. I will for sure contact you next time up that way.

Good to hear and glad there are still some good dealers out there. I am still waiting for the grand opening of the Yamaha dealer here in More-head,Ky.

Fuzzy