IGNORED

adding rear led lights

hi all glad i found this org. this my first post. i have a 83 venture and i want to add some rear running lights and a second licence plate flashing brake light so the 4 wheelers can see me. i want to go with leds do you think they wont draw to much from the electrical if i just splice onto the tail light wiring? thanks for any help

I don't think you would have any problem with that, although someone with LEDs will confirm that. If you decide to do something that DOES use more spark-juice, then you can power them through a relay, which is how I power my sidecar and trailer lights. I run the power through a relay and splice into brake light and indicator wiring to switch them.

LED lights I would lay money that you don't need that though and that the warning system won't throw up an error message on the dash.

You will be alright with adding a moderate amount of lights.

Below is rated current draw for an 1157 bulb.

Model-- Filament --Volts------Watts--- Amps----CP-- Life

1157 -----Low-High --14.0-12.8--8.26-26.88--0.59-2.10--3-32---5000/1200

You have 4 low wattage bulbs on the on the tail light circuit. Two in front turn signals & the two rear in the tail light. Each filament is rated at .59amps * 4 = 2.36 amp draw.There is a 10 amp fuse in the Tail circuit and that is all I see on this circuit.

Turn signal bulbs are on signal circuit, and appears the brakes are on the signal circuit fuse.

Check the glass fuses in the fuse block and see if they are tight in the clips on both ends. If they are not, you need to replace the fuse block. Bending the clips will almost always break them completely off.

Here is a link to a kit Skydoc 17 has made up to replace fuse box if you have to.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3231&title=first-gen-fuse-box-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

Here is a link to wiring diagrams for the bike.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42358

Gary

Yah! You can run 100 LED's and not draw any more than 1 single lightbulb!! The more light the better! You are only limited by your imagination and your pocketbook as to adding lights. The only issue you could encounter is if you replace existing lights with LEDs. Put them in your tail light and you will get the warning icon on your dash for burned out bulbs. Put them in your turn signals and they won't flash. But adding them to the existing lights does not cause any problems.

There are aftermarket Stators and voltage regulators along with higher capacity batteries available if you start adding extra electrical accessories such as heated seats and clothing etc...

PS Welcome aboard!!!!!

OK GUYS, FIRST I WANT TO THANK EARL(SKYDOC) FOR A GREAT PRODUCT AND HIS SUPPORT OVER THE PHONE, AND KARLS S FOR HIS SUPPORT AND FRIENDSHIP TOO. IM A ROUGH CARPENTER, AND REALLY DONT HAVE MUCH ELECTRICAL EXPERIENCE AT ALL. MAYBE CHANGING SOME LIGHTS AND CEILING FANS. SO I ORDERED THE FUSE KIT, OTHER THAN ONE SMALL ISSUE, I WENT IN LIKE A CHAMP! THE ISSUE WAS, WHAT DO I DO WITH THE SMALL RED WIRE?NOTHING, IT GOES IN THE TRASH. I HAVE A PIC. NEXT, SINCE MY CONFIDENCE WAS BRIMMING, I DECIDED TO TACKLE THE NO TAILLIGHT PROBLEM. I FOLLOWED THE ADVICE GIVEN HERE, REMOVED THE CMU, AND RESOLDERED THE JOINTS. VOILA!! WORKING TAILIGHTS! YOU GUYS ARE FREAKIN AWESOME!!:cool10::cool10::cool10: WHILE I WAS IN THERE, I REPLACED ALL THE DASH LIGHT BULBS ( 9 OF THEM #158) , AND CLEANED EVERY CONNECTION I COULD FIND. I INSTALLED LED TAILLIGHTS, LED TURSIGNAL W/50W 6 OHM RESISTORS MOUNTED TO FRAME. THANKS A MILLION. I CAN BE SEEN AGAIN!!

002 (600x450).jpg

004 (600x450).jpg

007 (600x450).jpg

• 2 months later...
OK GUYS, FIRST I WANT TO THANK EARL(SKYDOC) FOR A GREAT PRODUCT AND HIS SUPPORT OVER THE PHONE, AND KARLS S FOR HIS SUPPORT AND FRIENDSHIP TOO. IM A ROUGH CARPENTER, AND REALLY DONT HAVE MUCH ELECTRICAL EXPERIENCE AT ALL. MAYBE CHANGING SOME LIGHTS AND CEILING FANS. SO I ORDERED THE FUSE KIT, OTHER THAN ONE SMALL ISSUE, I WENT IN LIKE A CHAMP! THE ISSUE WAS, WHAT DO I DO WITH THE SMALL RED WIRE?NOTHING, IT GOES IN THE TRASH. I HAVE A PIC. NEXT, SINCE MY CONFIDENCE WAS BRIMMING, I DECIDED TO TACKLE THE NO TAILLIGHT PROBLEM. I FOLLOWED THE ADVICE GIVEN HERE, REMOVED THE CMU, AND RESOLDERED THE JOINTS. VOILA!! WORKING TAILIGHTS! YOU GUYS ARE FREAKIN AWESOME!!:cool10::cool10::cool10: WHILE I WAS IN THERE, I REPLACED ALL THE DASH LIGHT BULBS ( 9 OF THEM #158) , AND CLEANED EVERY CONNECTION I COULD FIND. I INSTALLED LED TAILLIGHTS, LED TURSIGNAL W/50W 6 OHM RESISTORS MOUNTED TO FRAME. THANKS A MILLION. I CAN BE SEEN AGAIN!!

Glad you were able to get her done!....but you don't have to yell about it!

all uppercase is considered YELLING ....plus it's harder to read.

Not a big deal....just a FYI