IGNORED

Rear Shocks goin bad.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went thru Rio Vista yesterday and at 9:15 there was an 88 at the Chevron, How you riding that without a shock?

It's amazing how much stuff you can tear off a 1stGen if you can only get them to stand still for a second or two..... What I wanna know is.....whachu doing eye balling Oldsmobiles??? :no-no-no:

ECK that link is for the Musical end of Yamaha. Keyboard and amps and such. Not for the Bikes.

Maybe I am wrong here, but I think ya got to read the last bullet:

For other inquiries you may contact the Yamaha National Service Manager:

Harvey Casey

Yamaha Corporation of America

Technical Support/Parts

(714) 522-9462, Please call Monday – Friday, between 8:30am – 5:00pm PST/PDT

Eck, this is where the complaints go!!

http://www.starmotorcycles.com/star/contactus/home.aspx

Thanks Scott...this may come in handy some day!!!..

excuse my posting please..

Here is some other news about leaking rear shocks....

Yesterday, I called the manager of the Yamaha dealership here in Decatur, Al, and told him my rear shock is leaking. We were on the phone for about 10 minutes taling about this VR.org site and fine mix of members and how we share jokes, stories, helpful tech info and "our complaints" and any dissatisfaction with local Dealers where we live...(that got his attention).

I talked about (and read) some of the posts that members here posted about thier rear shock, is or was,leaking and fiascos they have had getting Yamaha support to swap them out or take appropriate action..

I actually read some of the "damaging" posts .. word for word..to him..

And yes, he WAS listening...I could tell by his voice and questions..

Not once did he ask me to bring my bike in for him, or his service dept personnel to look at it.. to see if my shock was leaking..

He said: Mr. Nace, I will call my area rep and see if he has heard about the rear shocks leaking and make sure if yours is covered under warrenty..

(I thought,,,, it damn well better be, I have the famous 5 yr warrenty)

Well he called me back today and said: Mr. Nace, I have your rear shock on order and it is covered under warrenty at no cost at all to you for any labor or the replacement shock. I expect it here next week. I will call you when it arrives to set up the warrenty work arrangements that are most convienent to you.....

As for the leaking shocks you spoke about, my rep said he has not heard of and is not aware of any leaking shocks on the 2005 or newer models. My rep said there was a problem with the early 2nd gen rear shocks leaking, and Yamaha corrected that problem..and came out with a newer type shock, and the newer type shocks were being installed on all 05 and newer models...

All I can say folks is I am happy (for the moment) in that this manager DID what he said he would do. He called his rep and he DID call me back and he did this with a kind voice..

I do want everyone here to know that I "highlighted and copied" only the 2005 and newer model complaints in the posts of leaking shocks, and paste'd them on a word document. Then I printed it out so that I can take it with me to show him the damaging evidence of complaints that Yamaha "may think" they corrected the problem, but here is constructive proof the problem still exsits...

Lets see where it goes.....thats all I can do.. :thumbsup2:

Thanks ECK....

Mine,being an 05 is leaking and if they want to see proof of it, its the first post

Last 6 of the VIN is 000661, Should any REPs be watching this site.

They should be worried about loss of control and a resulting class action suit. As many as they have had to replace its pretty obivious there is a design flaw. And leaking oil in front of a tire is all an attorney needs to hang them out to dry.

I still think its the best bike I have ever owned though, the more I ride it the better it gets.

Well Guys,

I guess it's time to re-post my pictures where I cut my 2001 shock open to see what made it tick and why did it leak.

Buddy, I changed out two of them on my 2001 but none on my 2002. But now I run a Works shock so I don't have to worry about leaking shocks ever again.

The reason these shocks leak is that the ram gets vertical scratches probably from a dry bushing that resides above the seal. But like we all know when we get scratches in our forks, the seals start leaking (more like weeping). I think if the ram stayed lubed like it was designed, it would be tougher to be scratched and thus start leaking (again more like weeping).

So here are my pictures and if you haven't read it yet, I also re-posted my lengthy version of this subject (Understanding your RSV Rear shock) in the 2nd Gen Teck Library under Suspensions.

Rick

Thanks Eck. WE all know that the shock problem exists with ALL 2nd gens including 05 and newer and I'm sure this is common knowledge with practically all Venture owners. I love my bike and wouldn't want anything else but it drives me absolutely crazy that Yamaha ALWAYS says they aren't aware of a problem that everyone else knows about.

I heard this about the leaking exhaust join too and one day, perhaps in a weaker moment when I was complaining about this ignorance on Yamaha's part, the owner of the dealership where I go admitted very quietly that Yamaha never admits to any problem.

They will fix most things but perhaps because they don't want to issue recalls, always say "nope, never heard of that".

Anyway, just needed to vent a little.

I do think our posts and our numbers help us out a lot when dealing with these issues. Yamaha may not admit to things but they do know about these problems.

Cheers, Gary B

Well Guys,

I guess it's time to re-post my pictures where I cut my 2001 shock open to see what made it tick and why did it leak.

Buddy, I changed out two of them on my 2001 but none on my 2002. But now I run a Works shock so I don't have to worry about leaking shocks ever again.

The reason these shocks leak is that the ram gets vertical scratches probably from a dry bushing that resides above the seal. But like we all know when we get scratches in our forks, the seals start leaking (more like weeping). I think if the ram stayed lubed like it was designed, it would be tougher to be scratched and thus start leaking (again more like weeping).

So here are my pictures and if you haven't read it yet, I also re-posted my lengthy version of this subject (Understanding your RSV Rear shock) in the 2nd Gen Teck Library under Suspensions.

Rick

thanks for the great pic's rick.i think your right on the scoring of the ram.i think the groaning noise is the seal. when i let the air out of mine it makes no noise.i think when the seal has pressure behind it .the neoprene is forced against the metal and forces the lube out and runs kind of dry.causing the groan.going to try something slick like stp mixed with a light oil to eliminate the groan.mine does'nt leak yet but from the sound it won't be long.bill

Replaced mine this summer. 2000 MM RSV with 30,000 miles. Went back with new design Yamaha shock. With it being out of warranty I ordered mine from www.flatoutmotorcycles.com. $365.17 for the shock $22.00 shipping. Took about an hour to replace myself.
Obber, you talked me into it, as I just ordered one. When I called my dealer, they wanted $500, that's as far as that call went. I mean, all I want is a shock, and I went into shock when they told me the price. I can see why they gave us a 5 year warranty on this bike, I have a 99 RSV, with all that's failed on this bike, I would have had to remortgage my house to pay for the repairs. :crying: :mo money:

• 3 weeks later...
Replaced mine this summer. 2000 MM RSV with 30,000 miles. Went back with new design Yamaha shock. With it being out of warranty I ordered mine from www.flatoutmotorcycles.com. $365.17 for the shock $22.00 shipping. Took about an hour to replace myself.
Hey Obber, ordered a shock from the same place you did on Oct. 20th for the same price, and still haven't seen it. How long did you have to wait to get it. I looked up their phone number, and got a recording saying it was no longer connected??? Will see if I can find out anything by going on their web site I guess. See if they show a different phone number.:mustache:

Flat Out

8118 E. Washington St. Indianapolis IN 46219

Phone: 317-881-6686, 317-882-2453 Fax: 317-890-9120

Did you try those numbers Rich ?

Number I found was 317-890-9110 Buddy. Seems like they have several numbers. One of those two you gave me was for Greenwood. As is, I think their closed today, just like all cycle shops, so I'll either call them tomorrow, or see if I get an answer back on my e-mail. Thanks for the extra numbers; I tried the 9110 number, and they were closed. :duck: Catch cha later. Rich

Flat Out

There goes my luck again Buddy, just got an e-mail from the post-master that said my e-mail didn't go through. I tried info@, there's another one bill@flatoutmotorcycles.com, I guess I'll try one more time.:confused24:

My 2001 RSV rear shock quit @ 10,000 miles/ 1 year old in TN. , 800 miles from home. Rear end of the bike broke loose on a turn because of the oil leaking from the shock. The local dealer in pigon forge fixed it right away but made me pay the freight bill ( I was ok w/ that). Kept it till 2004 w/ about 35,000, had no more problems.

Flat Out

Wouldn't you know it Buddy; as soon as I got through going through all this mess, I went out the front door to go do some shopping, and there it was. I guess I'll look first next time, and then go through all this trouble. :buttkick: :bang head:

Guys,

I frankly have no evidence of this, but I've been told by John Madden over in Germany that the Leveling Links help the leaking shock problem. John was one of the first to try the new links from my "Build Your Own" instructions and had some machined over there. The only think I can think of that would help this situation is that by raising the bike up to level it out, it takes some of the pressure off of the back side of the shock ram that is more subceptable to abnormal wear from the inner bushing.

In other words, with the stock linkage, the shock sits tilted back ever so slightly which may cause more wear on the back side of the ram over time and use. And by leveling up the bike with the new links it may put the shock in a position that there is no undue pressure on either side of the shock, thus giving it a neutral resistance as it moves up and down.

Since I helped Works Performance develope their shock for the RSV, I have been running that shock since July of 2003, so I have no recent experience with the stock shock in this regards.

I am just wondering if anyone who has changed to the new links has suffered a blown shock?

Rick

I am just curious,I havnt had any problems with the shock on my 2004 RSV.I inflate mine only with a hand pump with an air gauge built on it. Like this one below. Just curious if the high pressure air from air hoses contribute to the leaks or blow outs?