IGNORED

Rear Shocks goin bad.

IT would if you go over pressure.

I use a compressor, but set the regulator for the pressure I want. I have never gone over 35 cause she gets a little stiff in the rear after that. Most of the time its running around 15 by myself and 30 when its 2 up.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I replaced mine on my 2000MM at 9,000, 16,000 and 25,000 miles, all under warranty. I always ran about 35 lbs in it. I've got 9,000 on the '05, and so far only have the "groan". I do have the links installed since I bought it at 2,300 miles, so we'll see if that makes a difference.

• 8 months later...
Hey Obber, ordered a shock from the same place you did on Oct. 20th for the same price, and still haven't seen it. How long did you have to wait to get it. I looked up their phone number, and got a recording saying it was no longer connected??? Will see if I can find out anything by going on their web site I guess. See if they show a different phone number.:mustache:

Just saw this from you. :bang head:

Some reason I miss this way back in Nov.

:buttkick: Go ahead you can give me the boot.

I'm think it might have been the Internet.:smash2: Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Just wondering if you ever got your shock?

Charles

I know this a rather old thread, but it relates to my current problem. It's been a while since I've checked in here, but when you need info, there's no better place. I had the puddle of oil under my bike (with telltale drops coming off the shock mount) yesterday. It's a 2000 w about 25K on it. I thought it was a bit early for the rear shock to go, but seems like many others have experienced this problem even sooner. The odd thing was that the bike had not been ridden for almost a week and had not leaked a drop. Then we got some extra hot and humid weather and yesterday it made a puddle on the floor. I rode about125 miles last night - not a drop this morning. I also got the $500 quote from the dealer, so I may order one from Flat Out, too.

Several folks have mentioned Works Performance shock, but no one gave a web address, e-mail or phone # for them and I don't see them listed in the Vendor section. Can someone post the website or contact info, please?

Other than that - Life is good. A slew of personal tasks have kept me from riding as much as I would have liked this year or making any of the VR events - maybe next year.

Just saw this from you. :bang head:

Some reason I miss this way back in Nov.

:buttkick: Go ahead you can give me the boot.

I'm think it might have been the Internet.:smash2: Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Just wondering if you ever got your shock?

Charles

That's okay Charles, I finally got my s*** together and picked up the shock from Flat Out, installed it and hope that it performs like the old one did, as I got (what I say 75k out of it). So no problem with the late comeback guy, hope your shock is doing well, have a great day.:mustache:

How many of you have changed the rear shock yourself? Any tips, suggestions or advice from your experience that would make it easier?

Works Performance claims 30-40K before needing to rebuild the shock. If you have the Works shock installed - how many miles do you have on it and how is it holding up? Have you needed to have it repaired yet? Do you repair it yourself or send it in?

It looks like quite a few members have needed to replace the Yamaha shock several times in that period, so I question whether it's worth it to replace a prematurely bad shock with another Yamaha shock.

It seems to me that the original factory shock should have lasted at least 30K. I hestitate to spend $500 for a non-rebuildable shock + $125 for labor just to have to replace it again in another 20K. I also don't want to have to take the rear end off my bike every 20,000 miles and have to send the shock to CA to be repaired.

Thanks for the input

How many of you have changed the rear shock yourself? Any tips, suggestions or advice from your experience that would make it easier?

Works Performance claims 30-40K before needing to rebuild the shock. If you have the Works shock installed - how many miles do you have on it and how is it holding up? Have you needed to have it repaired yet? Do you repair it yourself or send it in?

It looks like quite a few members have needed to replace the Yamaha shock several times in that period, so I question whether it's worth it to replace a prematurely bad shock with another Yamaha shock.

It seems to me that the original factory shock should have lasted at least 30K. I hestitate to spend $500 for a non-rebuildable shock + $125 for labor just to have to replace it again in another 20K. I also don't want to have to take the rear end off my bike every 20,000 miles and have to send the shock to CA to be repaired.

Thanks for the input

First off if you are interested in the Works Performance contact RichH at www.buckeyeperformance.com and he can order it for you.

I have changed to the Works Performance shock and have 9,000 miles on it so far and have NO complaints at all. It is a high quality product built to YOUR specifications. When you order it you give your weight, passengers weight, whether you tow, how much 2 up driving you do, what type of driving you do and how much you tow. Then they make a shock specifically for your bike.

To me this shock is heads and shoulders above the stock shock, your first ride will tell you that, not to mention holding it in your hands. It's beefier and looks much better.

As far as rebuilding, I am told you have to send it in and they will rebuild it for around $100.00. Sure beats $500.00 for a new OEM that still fails and can't be rebuilt.

I changed it myself and it took about 45 minutes if I remember correctly. I suggest taking the rear tire off to gain easier access although it can be done with it on if you have small hands. Changing it is pretty straight forward just 2 bolts one on top and one on the bottom. I suggest putting the top bolt in first because the top of the shock has 2 bushings and if you put the bottom in first chances are pretty good you are going to knock one or both of the bushings out trying to line up the top bolt.

The Works Performance shock is more expensive up front, but if you plan on keeping your RSV and riding it a lot then it will pay for itself in the long run.

Wayne

I appreciate the info. I'm going to call Works in the morning (or send an e-mial to the address in your post) and see how much "a little more upfront" amounts to in $$ and cents. I plan on keeping this bike for quite some time, so I don't mind spending a little more for a better product. I hate to spend $500 if Yamaha can't/won't warranty the replacement shock for reasonable distance.

My concern with changing the shock myself is keeping the bike from tipping over. I have a bike lift, but with the rear tire and luggage off, it seems the shift in weight could cause it to drop forward and then off the lift. I suppose I could block up the front tire and then wratchet strap the front end to a couple rafters.

• 2 months later...

I had mine replaced after about 20000 miles. Went out to start it one morning and it had a puddle under it. Wiped up the oil and went to the dealer. He tried to tell me I had overfilled the bike with oil and the oil was coming out of a tube routed by the shock. I had somebody stand the bike up and the oil was right where it should be. I told them to look an they wouldn't even bend over and look. By the next spring it wouldn't hold air for 20 miles and they finally replaced it. Very bad PR.

Am I correct in assumeing that Only the 2nd Gen Rear Shocks go bad. ??

I do not recall hearing much about 1st Gen Rear Shocks leaking.

Can a 1st gen rear be used on a 2ng gen ?? Maby stupid question, but was just wondering.

Just an observation, but could adding air to these things at the gas station air hose, be blowing the Seals ??

• 1 month later...

On my 2003, my first shock went bad at 17,000 miles and my second one went bad this summer with about 25,000 miles on the new improved shock with the vent hose. So I am on my 3rd shock now and have 46,000 miles on bike. Both were replaced under warranty. Jbird

Can a 1st gen rear be used on a 2ng gen ?? Maby stupid question, but was just wondering.

Just an observation, but could adding air to these things at the gas station air hose, be blowing the Seals ??

fair question, george!

my '86, holds air "forever", with NO leaks!

maybe "newer, isn't better"!

just jt

The problem seems to be mostly with the oil seals & not the air portion, but the station air still could be a factor.

fair question, george!

my '86, holds air "forever", with NO leaks!

maybe "newer, isn't better"!

just jt

No problem with mine, but I will be installing a new spring on mine regardless.

• 11 years later...
Hi All,

New to this forum.

I have a 2009 RSTD, that I believe has a bad rear shock.

Can someone direct me to the person on this forum who rebuilds these shocks.

Thanks,

Read this. One of our members rebuilds the shocks. If the RSTD is the same as the 2nd Gen Ventures, then this might work for you...

https://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?132400-RSV-Repaired-Rear-Shock-2000-Mile-Update

And welcome to the nuthouse! Lots of great help here...

Hi All,

New to this forum.

I have a 2009 RSTD, that I believe has a bad rear shock.

Can someone direct me to the person on this forum who rebuilds these shocks.

Thanks,

You've found your guy. I replace the O ring at the bottom of the shock and recharge with suspension fluid. I'll send you a PM.

You've found your guy. I replace the O ring at the bottom of the shock and recharge with suspension fluid. I'll send you a PM.

Dfitzbiz, how has the longevity been with your rebuilt shocks? You have given a few updates, I was just wondering how these have held up? My shock bottom is oily and dirty, so I am on a ticking clock. Thanks for all your help.

Dfitzbiz, how has the longevity been with your rebuilt shocks? You have given a few updates, I was just wondering how these have held up? My shock bottom is oily and dirty, so I am on a ticking clock. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for asking Bobcat. I’ve repaired about 20 over the past 3 years. I had one fail in shipment. It was stuck in an FPO in Hawaii for about a month. And I had one fail prior to installation due to a pinched O ring. I corrected each failure at no charge. I haven’t had any fail in operation that I can recall. Maybe some of my customers can give us a review. If you need a repair please PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for asking Bobcat. I’ve repaired about 20 over the past 3 years. I had one fail in shipment. It was stuck in an FPO in Hawaii for about a month. And I had one fail prior to installation due to a pinched O ring. I corrected each failure at no charge. I haven’t had any fail in operation that I can recall. Maybe some of my customers can give us a review. If you need a repair please PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what are you charging and how long does it take?

thanks Bill