IGNORED

Let's talk GPS for the RSV...

DarkWolf

What is the conventional wisdom for GPS for an RSV? I have a Magellan Roadmate 700 for my car, but it is not waterproof. It also may be a problem actually mounting it to an RSV or any motorcycle, for that matter. I don't know. At Best Buy today, the clerk told me that the GARMIN ZUMO was the only one that was waterproof and that when bikers came in to purchase a GPS, that seemed to be the one that was de rigueur. Yeah, but that thing was $900!

So let's put her out there. Who is using what in GPS's on their RSV's? What do you recommend? I see them broadcasting into helmet speakers and all kinds of things. What about mounts for one like my Magellan 700? What do you have, what do you recommend, what can be mounted on an RSV, do you use Ram mounts, do you hard-wire them to the bike? What?

Go to www.CNET.com to find a much better price on the Zumo. Also, if you are not interested in bluetooth, then the 450 is just as good as the 550 and a bit cheaper. Other than the bluetooth it is pretty much the same unit. You should be able to find it for just under $500...

Try this link... http://shopper.cnet.com/4144-5_9-0.html?query=Garmin+zumo+450&tag=srch&searchType=sh

The clerk is misinformed. The Lowrance IWay 500C is waterproof, and I am sure that there are others out there as well. If you do a search of the forum on GPS, you will find that it gets discussed here quite frequently. I would recommend that you do some research on line to compare the major brands, Lowrance, Garmin, Magellan, Tom Tom, etc. Clerks are going to try and steer you to what they need to sell and may not have a clue as to what yo should have on a motorcycle.

Guest BluesLover

That's what I use, with the RAM mount that was included.

I have it hard wired to the AUX port on the RSV.

She's been a great addition to the bike, getting us out of a few tough jams. Had it two years and the part that snaps onto the mount broke. Made a call to Lowrance and had a replacement part in my hands within the week at no cost.

Don't think they make that model any more though.

Cheers,

Hey Dale!

This summer I rolled over 12,000 on my new Midnight Venture, but before doing so I decided that it was time to research and purchase just the right GPS. My criteria was that it had to be small but had a screen which was easy to read even in the middle of the day, could be mounted on my handlebars but could be easily removed for security reasons, had touch screen, had an memory expansion card which would hold and play .MP3s, and which didn't cost too much.

After hunting around a bit on-line (mostly on EBay), I found a place which sold refurbished Garmin Nuvi 350s with a complete manufacturer's warranty for less than $300.

I then found a RAM Mount which is designed specifically for the Nuvi and which mounted perfectly on my handlebars.

This model is not considered waterproof, but then I didn't see that (or experience it) as a problem. If I get caught in the rain, then I can easily take it off and set it in my tank bag or pocket. If I really needed it while riding in the rain (which I really don't do much if I can avoid it anyway), I could easily put a simple sandwich bag around it and that would work fine.

I like the fact that I can run it off the bike's power while riding, or off it's battery power when I'm off the bike. This has proved very useful in motels or on lunch breaks.

I have had no problems with it and have been very satisfied with the purchase.

Hope that helps!

Pete.

most handheld garmin gps are waterproof to 39" of water for 30 minutes and are a viable alternative for a cheaper gps here are three links that are usefull to check out

http://www.maps-gps-info.com/gp-rvw-gar-map60c.html

http://www.maps-gps-info.com/gp-rvws.html

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us

the nice thing about handhelds is you can also mount them on anything our use them on the water or while hiking

Zumo 550.

Comes with both m'cycle and car mount. Wire it into the Aux circuit using a couple of $10 cords from Radio Shack. You can then wire the bluetooth phone into your headset so you can talk wirelessly. If your phone is capable, you can do it (almost) completely voice command.

I have dropped it twice (the Zumo, not the bike) on concrete and it hasn't skipped a beat. Great unit.

RR

I realize that this is probably not helpful, but here goes anyway...

My choice for a GPS is to pick up a free paper map from the state information center every time I cross a state line, then just stuff it in the tank bag and ignore it while I take whatever road looks interesting! The paper map comes in handy if and when I decide I have had enough "exploring" and just want to plot a quick route home. I have M$ Streets and Trips on my laptops, but somehow, looking at a paper map is still so much more satisfying than any electronic version. I do not have a GPS on my bike (but I do in the car), and I doubt I ever will. It just is not what I equate with motorcycle riding. Your equation, of course, may be different. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I realize that this is probably not helpful, but here goes anyway...

My choice for a GPS is to pick up a free paper map from the state information center every time I cross a state line, then just stuff it in the tank bag and ignore it while I take whatever road looks interesting! The paper map comes in handy if and when I decide I have had enough "exploring" and just want to plot a quick route home. I have M$ Streets and Trips on my laptops, but somehow, looking at a paper map is still so much more satisfying than any electronic version. I do not have a GPS on my bike (but I do in the car), and I doubt I ever will. It just is not what I equate with motorcycle riding. Your equation, of course, may be different. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

G reat

P aper

S ystem

I use the Zumo 550. Do yourself a favor and get one that is waterproof. You will be suprised when it will come in handy. I had two GPS units before the 550 and it really got to be a pain in the ... having to stop, remove the unit, store the unit, ride until it stopped raining, stop, retrieve the unit, install the unit, ride again until it started raining again well you see where this is going.

Garmin Zumo 550 , I have GPS , Cellphone , MP3 , XM , XM Weather , Photo folder for bragging (slide show) , Listings for all sorts of POI's being restaurants to hotels to DQ's plus phone numbers to those locations at the tap on the screen , Ability to track all my mileage , correct speedometer , mileage tracker I can set to remind me to get fuel and when it hits that setting an icon is placed on the screen that when pressed will list all the closet gas stations with phone number and mileage too , ALL IN ONE UNIT ! 2 mounts included and MC mount you can secure/lock enough to keep an honest man from stealing . Plus more features that I have not encountered or used yet . Yes it more expensive , but so is chrome and other accessories we buy everyday . If ya want it bad enough , you will save for it .

BEER30

Hi Dark Wolf,

I use a Garmin 350 in my car. I use it also on my Venture. I just slip it in my tank bag clear map holder. Us one of those adapters for the tape deck and plug it into the acc devise plug. No hassle and works fine.

I use a Garman Quest ll. Small screen, but it works pretty good.

I've used on the VTX for 2yrs.

I attached it to the Handle bars with a ram mount. plugged it into the 12v.

plug in in the front fairing. I hope it is okay I attached 2 photos to show it mounted.

It says it is water resistant and after 2yrs on the other bike I've never had a problem with it.

Mr Beer30, What is the procedure on setting the Fuel trip thingy.

I am not sure if I am doing that part right. and it only works in

the if in the bikes mount right?

Thanks,

Jeff

Jeff , only works on MC mount . Look on page 21 0f your Zumo's Owners manual .

BEER30

I've had my waterproof street pilot for 4-5 years and it's still a great unit. It's waterproof and will take a lot of punishment. I'd get either the streetpilot or the zumo and it will transfer between bike and other vehicles in about 30 seconds.

One more thing, I'd stay away from in refurbished units. I had terrible luck with that.

Eddie:cool10:

Guest sargeb13

The new Tom Tom Rider 2, before I made a decision.

My criteria: waterproof, shock resistent, no hard drive (memory cards and solid state means vibration problems go away); big screen that won't fade in bright, direct sunlight, availablilty of a locking mount.

I use a Garmin 376C with an XM-30 radio, which I bought before the Zumo came out. Were I looking today, I'd consider the Zumo's, and Tom Tom Rider 2. The "glove friendly" features of these newer units are very attractive to me.

The Tom Tom's are very, very easy to use and quite intuative: my absolutely hopeless with electonics ex- had a Tom Tom up and running, and planning routes, in about two minutes. By contrast, I'm still learning how to use the Garmin after three years; but, the Garmin is much, much more powerful: just have to hook it to the computer to access much of the power, or navagate through a lot of menu's.

For the kind of riding I do, long days and all weather, waterproofing is absolutely necessary. Also, the weather services available in the XM compatable units, like Zumo and 376C, is very useful.

Hope that helps.

Michael