IGNORED

New-to-Me 2008 Goldwing

jer878

Picked up my 2008 Goldwing with 865 miles on it from outside White Plains, NY this past weekend. Flew out from Detroit Saturday afternoon and took possession that evening. Stayed in a hotel that night, started off Sunday morning about 7AM. Didn't start off so good. 2 1/2 hours of 1 mile visibility fog and 57deg not fun on a new bike. Pushed out 360 miles, not bad considering the start I had that morning, the new to me bike and an ongoing intestinal trac malfunction.

Monday started out very good west bound on I80, left about 8AM 68deg and semi sunny. about an hour into the ride I thought it looked like it might rain. Pulled off to dhon my rain gear and as I was zipping up the jacket the drops started and continued for the next 2 hrs. Stopped for fuel and the rain was replaced with a 20 MPH or so crosswind for the next 2 hours. Finally made it to I280 north just south of Toledo, OH. Ah, wind at my back what a nice ride. Made it home about 1:30PM a total of 686 miles later.

I have to say that I really like my RSV but my first impression of the Wing is I love it. I have to add some bling, comfort items, safety items and other stuff but I'm sure I'll continue to love it.

It has the audio / comfort, NAV and ABS on it. I used the NAV and although it is somewhat cumbersome (touch screen would be nice) it functioned flawlessly. I had no idea where I was in White Plains. The person I bought it from punched in the hotel address and I followed the instructions. When I left the hotel I punched in Toledo, OH and followed that. Fortunately I didn't "have to test" the ABS and didn't want to. Now that I have some miles on it I'll test them the next time I'm out (if it stops raining).

The slow speed handling & balance is much better IMHO than the RSV, the power is remarkable and smooth. Fit and finish excellent. Electronics / audio are awesome.

Little things like the horizontal valve stems just add to the quality of this bike.

Thanks for listening,

Jim

Edited by jer878
Forgot the Pics and we know what that means

Congratulations on the new bike Jim. Having recently switched to a Wing from the RSV I agree with most of you observations. I like the smoothness and power of the drivetrain. The handling is much better than the Venture. It is a very easy bike to ride. However, for a bike to cover serious miles with at turnpike speeds I still think the Venture is better. I think the Venture has better wind protection and the ride isn't as harsh over rough pavement. And I prefer the relaxed leg position of the Venture. But for around town and backroad twisties the Wing beats the Venture.

You need to bring it on down to KY this weekend.

Dennis

I originally planed to do the KY ride but my plate got to full and the weather has been and looks to be scary. As far as the wind I'm planing on the on Hand Wings & Wind Wings. Also need a back rest, foot pegs, trunk rack, trailer hitch, chrome trim w/lights for the bags & trunk, handle bar risers? and the all important cup holder. I'm sure I missed a couple of items but then :mo money:

Jim

The harshness of road feel on front can be easily healed when you do the all balls steering head bearings which WILL need to be done, just buy a set of progressive front springs at the same time and have them dropped in. Also a se of $25.00 riser shims will make yor bike amazingly comfortable also install at same time.

I originally planed to do the KY ride but my plate got to full and the weather has been and looks to be scary. As far as the wind I'm planing on the on Hand Wings & Wind Wings. Also need a back rest, foot pegs, trunk rack, trailer hitch, chrome trim w/lights for the bags & trunk, handle bar risers? and the all important cup holder. I'm sure I missed a couple of items but then :mo money:

Jim

Yep, I've done most of that already. The Baker Built hand wings seemed to help quite a bit. If you are buying that much stuff you might consider becoming a VIP member at Wingstuff.com. The additional savings will pay for the membership if you buy seveal items.

Dennis

Don't forget one of the most overlooked options on the Wing. The Wave Back button.

This proves that Wing owners are not stuck up and that we do wave at other riders, just push the Wave Back button and the bikes takes care of everything! (says WB on it!). also for some reason I get some weather reports but that is just a bonus!:rotf:

You may miss a few MPG that you got on the Venture.

Don't forget one of the most overlooked options on the Wing. The Wave Back button.

This proves that Wing owners are not stuck up and that we do wave at other riders, just push the Wave Back button and the bikes takes care of everything! (says WB on it!). also for some reason I get some weather reports but that is just a bonus!:rotf:

So far I am getting way better mpg. 42-45 running 65-68 over that 70-85 around 38 39..hope it stays there.

Returning from NY I was maintaining 72-75 MPH and getting right @ 40mpg. Of course the engine isn't even broke in with only 1551 miles after my 686 mile ride home. :whistling:

Welcome to the VentureRider Wing coalition! I hope you enjoy yours as much I as I do mine...:smile5:

I'm only getting about 36mpg on the highway and even less in town. Maybe I twist the throttle too much? Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the maintenance done on this bike before I got it other than what the PO told me. He said all maintenance was performed on schedule (whatever that means) but offered nothing in the way of proof. Maybe I need to change the spark plugs or adjust the valves or something...

Congrats on the NEW bike (yeah, it's a couple years old, but with that mileage it's NEW!!!) I too really like the handling and power of the Wing. Suits my riding style. I just got back this afternoon from riding the Natchez trace from end to end (down and back!) I can verify that turning up the wick will definitely hurt your mpg's. Going down the trace (speed limit 50) and just kinda cruisin' along I got mileage in the uper 40's. Running hard I get in the upper 30's

The harshness of road feel on front can be easily healed when you do the all balls steering head bearings which WILL need to be done, just buy a set of progressive front springs at the same time and have them dropped in. Also a se of $25.00 riser shims will make yor bike amazingly comfortable also install at same time.

Are these the parts your talking about?

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/11185_steering_bearings/21578_all_balls_steering_bearings_gl1100_gl1200/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F11185_goldwing_steering_bearings%2Fdes%2F

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/344_suspension/3217_gl1800_progressive_fork_springs/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F344_goldwing_suspension%2Fdes%2F

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/322_handlebar_risers/1878_gl1800_handlebar_riser_shims/?goto=%2Fpgroup_list%2Fgl1800%2F322_goldwing_handlebar_risers%2Fdes%2F

:mo money:

Those are the ones...IF you can get over this way I have a friend in Houston that will install the All Balls,including the All Balls and drop in the springs and risers for $275.00. Dont be surprised if you buy the Centramatics from him also though..Worth every penney!@

Unfortunately it's 1300 miles from here to Houston. Now if your friend were to be in my neighborhood that would be awesome.

• 4 weeks later...

OK received a big box of goodies, so all I have to do find some time to put them on. I did manage to get the drink holder installed, I like to get a sip while riding, I think it's more habit that necessity. Man this thing will hold a "GI" or as they say now a "40".

I'm going to get the MP3 player that runs through the CD before it tear into it and start the hitch and and Utopia back rest. That way I can get it all done at the same time. Will be working on the bag and trunk lighting as it is very easy to install.

Also going to order some are rests for the other(better) half. She said she's fine like on the RSV buttttttttt, it would be nice to have. She's worth the $ so they'll be coming on this next order.

If anyone has suggestions on armrests for an 08 wing I'll be glad to listen.

Check out the arm rests from Rivco. I don't believe you have to move them out of the way to open the trunk. One of my riding buddies has the Kuryakyn arm rests and he discouraged me from getting those. It turned out my wife didn't want them either.

Dennis