IGNORED

Semi-emergency: clutch springs needed for 2001 venture near Milwaukee

GG54172

Semi-emergency: clutch springs needed for 2001 venture near Milwaukee.

My name is Greg Gill and I am at Waukesha County Tech taking a MSF ultimatebike rider course. During exercise 1 I fried my clutch. I can sit still in 1st gear. MC shops are closed. Cash paid for a VMax clutch spring kit. Call my cell .

Edited by GG54172

I have a complete setup of plates and steels if you need (and a gasket). Will need to check on the spring. I seem to recall giving that to someone when I replaced mine with a heavier one. Will run out to the shop in a little bit to check.

I'm up in FDL.

RR

Just talked with Greg, if there is anyone that has a stock spring that they replaced on their G2 in that area please give him a call. We discussed him sanding the steels and installing a 2nd stock spring on his bike, this would do the trick. Give him a call asap if you have a spring for this bike....thanks.

Note a 1st gen spring from a MKII '86 to '93 will also work on this bike.

Edited by Squidley

I just tried to call but got his voice mail.

I am about 50 miles from Waukesha County Tech and I could probably run if there if necessary.

I have a complete clutch I took out of my 01 a year or so ago but it was slipping in 4th and 5th when you got on the throttle hard. I have the stock spring as well as the steel and fiber disc.

I don't think I have ever seen a clutch not move the bike unless it was completely burnt up. Maybe the spring failed/broke/collapsed?

BOO

I was on my way up there but Greg called long before I got there and said someone else had a set up and was closer than me so I came back home.

I have a complete clutch set but it was slipping a little in 4th and 5th on hard acceleration but probably would have got him home. I agree he should change the oil. I don't know if he tore the face off the disc or burnt it off but in any case the oil needs to be changed.

BOO

So does he have everything he needs to get this done.

Warm bodies and or tools. I have the inch pound torque wrench.

I can head out there to help if needed.

I do have a spare oil filter for my '88 if it will fit. I can pick up oil on the way.

Red Rider is on his way with new clutch, oil, & filter. Got tools, should be all set.

If you need anything just give me a call, I'm not that far away.

Even if it starts to rain I can bring an EZ-UP. Might take 4 people to hold it down in this wind though.

That clutch was fried, baked, and BBQ'd. Worst one I have ever seen. The oil smelled like day-old BBQ briquets and was black and thick. However, he is now up and going.

I will leave it to Greg to tell the tale. But have it be said, if he were going to burn a clutch, he couldn't have found a much better place to do it.

We did the Freebird clutch upgrade while we were at it.

RR

Glad you are up and running, maybe even better than new.

From Jeffs description it sounds like another oil change once you get home is in order.

I also seem to remember a few people posting that that course took out a clutch.

I guess it should be standard packing to bring a clutch kit and oil change to the MSF.