IGNORED

Tie down 2nd Gen on Trailer?

We used soft ties around the fork tubes.... on top of the lower clamp. Was a pain to get them just right but it didn't budge. Used 6 straps total.2 on forks 2 on frame under drivers seat and 2 (lightly) under bags just to keep the tail from wagging.

Best of luck,

Frank

Just brought home this 08 from Ohio. 350 miles and I used 3 straps.

One on each side at the lower portion of the triple tree, pulled the front end down, and then one just in front of the fuel tank to the front of the trailer to pull it forward.

I normally have one on the rear as well but this time I didn't use it and it worked fine.

Brad

NEVER tie the handlebars, they bend real easy!! Invest in one of those front wheel chocks from Harbor Freight, they alone keep the bike upright. I tied from the forks in front and from the passenger grab bars in the rear. No problems for close to 1000 miles!!

I probally went overboard, however I use strap extenders (soft) to go around the tubes straps to the center stand points and a strap across the chock and front wheel even though the chock itself would probally keep the bike in place with no straps.

I always use 4 straps on the front. I used to use 2 till I had one break and the bike fall over (not the rsv) but you can imagine the sinking feeling when you look in the mirror and see no bike ! Luckily it was laying on the trailer not the road.

I use extenders and run one on each side of the triple tree. I cut about 12" of a clothes hanger and put a 90 degree bend about 1/4" long in one end. I run that through the front of the fairing and hook it onto the extender and then pull it through. I tie my tie down straps to the extender. I also have a wheel chock for the front tire. I have tie down holders mounted to the floor that pull the bike forward. As far as the back there is no need to tie down the back of the bike. You would have to drive like a stunt driver to get the back end to move. I have hauled my bike many miles and the back end never moves.

When I tie anything down I tend to overdo it!

I use a front chock I got from Harbor Freight, like the Condor but do NOT rely on it...read on for why

For a bike, I use two straps on the forks, above the lower tree. Two on the crash bars on the front and two on the crash bars on the back, If I can get to the frame on the sides, I put on on each side as high as possible or on the passenger grab rails.

NOTE: the grab rails and some of the side bars are not intended to get the loads that a huge tie-down will give, but by using several, you spread the load and I have never had a problem.

Then I do one other important thing. I use a 2" strap around the rear wheel/tire, through the rim (be careful not to get it on the air valve!) and tie back in a V to the rear. Why? Because the back of the bike can move around a lot on big bumps. I had a front strap work loose recently, but the rear strap on the wheel kept the bike from going sideways on me, I noticed it leaning a little, and stopped. Those rear straps helped.

also, don't depend on a Condor type chock to hold the bike up, especially if the trailer is tilted on a grade! I was unloading my Wing, and the last strap was holding the bike more than I realized! When I popped it the bike went to fall over and I grabbed the first thing I could get which was the mirror! It held, and I was able to get the strap tight again with one hand. Had to get help to let me sit on the bike while that strap was removed.

You can never use too many straps, they are nice insurance. Seen too many bikes held on with just four straps go over.

Towed mine to Gatlinburg last year. Hard to snake them through little openingsunder fairing, and around the lower bracket between the fork tubes. one on each side and one on each side of frame in rear. Be sure to use ratchet straps and not just pull tights. In my experience the pull tights loosen, ratchets do not. 70 and 80 all the way down, it never moved an inch. Good Luck.