IGNORED

Heated grip brands, experiences?

Gearhead

Hi. What brand of heated grips have y'all used? I've used Hot Grips and they are good, but after a few years the rubber started wearing out and now the wires are showing and the rubber is sticky, and I need a new $100 set of grips. Maybe that's just what happens with rubber. Is there anything else out there? Anything that had a cheaper replacable cover?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Guest tx2sturgis
Hi. What brand of heated grips have y'all used? I've used Hot Grips and they are good, but after a few years the rubber started wearing out and now the wires are showing and the rubber is sticky, and I need a new $100 set of grips. Maybe that's just what happens with rubber. Is there anything else out there? Anything that had a cheaper replacable cover?

Thanks,

Jeremy

Man am I glad someone started this thread...I have a set of HotGrips on the Glide, and I want to put a set on my new Venture, but the Hot Grips website says they dont fit on a Venture without significant mods to the throttle sleeve....WTF? Has anyone put a set of HotGrips ( the brand) on a newer Venture?

On the wear issue...people with lighter colored skin tend to wear out the grip rubber faster than those with darker skin.

....:whistling:

......:whistling:

.........:whistling:

Um...its because those of us with lighter colored skin tend to use more sunscreen, and any residual sunscreen chemical on the palm of the hand and fingers will begin to deteriorate the rubber.

Always try to clean your hands of any sunscreen before putting them around the grips and sweating those chemicals into the rubber...

I tried some large heatshrink on my grips a few years ago...it worked, but I didnt like the feel of the smooth plastic around the grip.

So....anyone tried the HotGrips?

For those of us who like the Kuryakyn custom grips... K makes a set designed to mount over top of the heated grips on the newer GWs. I've wondered why it wouldn't be possible to put the GW heated grips on our bikes and then use the K covers over top of them. Custom heated grips.

Grip Puppies? What are Grip Puppies?

"Um...its because those of us with lighter colored skin tend to use more sunscreen, and any residual sunscreen chemical on the palm of the hand and fingers will begin to deteriorate the rubber.

Always try to clean your hands of any sunscreen before putting them around the grips and sweating those chemicals into the rubber...

I tried some large heatshrink on my grips a few years ago...it worked, but I didnt like the feel of the smooth plastic around the grip."

I had wondered what I might have done to chemically attack the rubber. I had also thought of shrink tube but figured it would be too slippery and would make the throttle hand tired gripping it hard enought to keep from slowing unintentionally. Was that what you found? Did the heat get through the extra layer OK? I wish there was textured heat shrink!

"K makes a set designed to mount over top of the heated grips on the newer GWs. I've wondered why it wouldn't be possible to put the GW heated grips on our bikes and then use the K covers over top of them. Custom heated grips."

Or would the K covers go over Hot Grips? I wonder how much $$ the GW grips are? Or Bimmer grips? How thick are these covers? Anything very thick and the heat would be more insulated from your hands.

Jeremy

Guest tx2sturgis
Grip Puppies? What are Grip Puppies?

I tried some large heatshrink on my grips a few years ago...it worked, but I didnt like the feel of the smooth plastic around the grip."

I had wondered what I might have done to chemically attack the rubber. I had also thought of shrink tube but figured it would be too slippery and would make the throttle hand tired gripping it hard enought to keep from slowing unintentionally. Was that what you found? Did the heat get through the extra layer OK? I wish there was textured heat shrink!

Jeremy

The heat shrink does lengthen the life of your heated grips, especially in the summer...but it brings on some problems too.

You can buy the stuff big enough to slip right over the grip, and it shrinks right on down, but then gradually, over a few weeks, it begins to re-expand and loosen from being worked over by your hands. If you use glue, it makes a mess and I didnt like the feel of the smooth plastic anyway. I tried it 3 times and same result each time.

If your really careful and always clean your hands after applying sunscreen, your heated grips, or even the stock or aftermarket rubber grips, will last a LOT longer.

I keep several pre-moistened wipes (in a ziplock bag) on the bike in the summer just for this purpose.

Dont put your freshly cleaned hands on the grips right away...wait a few minutes for the cleaner to evaporate! The cleaning fluid will also attack the rubber!

Guys who wear fingerless gloves most of the time also have better luck with the rubber grips...

SO...those things DO have a legitimate function after all!! Who knew?

I just found the grip puppies - wow, that's exactly what I need for my Virago which has the old, deteriorated Hot Grips! The heating coils still work fine, but they need a cover and the Puppies should be just the ticket! They hold up to the heat OK?

Jeremy

PS - What is the Puppies material like? Is it more like rubber or squishy foam?

I've had the Grip Pups on for close to 3 years now. They still look like new. I drilled the end of the Hot Grips per their instructions, so I could use the bar ends. This was on a FJR, but I think the principle would be the same.

Man am I glad someone started this thread...I have a set of HotGrips on the Glide, and I want to put a set on my new Venture, but the Hot Grips website says they dont fit on a Venture without significant mods to the throttle sleeve....WTF? Has anyone put a set of HotGrips ( the brand) on a newer Venture?

The problem is that our bars are 1" instead of the more common and weenie 7/8". This makes the grips larger, and when you put the HotGrips on top of that, they are too big for most people's hands. I used them and got used to them, but definitely noticed the large size.

My solution was to make my own wrap-around grips for about $35 useing some spare buckskin I had sitting aound. They do not increase the grip size near as much and work wonderfully. I think I did a write-up on them last year, so you might do a search on my old posts. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Guest tx2sturgis
The problem is that our bars are 1" instead of the more common and weenie 7/8". This makes the grips larger, and when you put the HotGrips on top of that, they are too big for most people's hands. I used them and got used to them, but definitely noticed the large size.

My solution was to make my own wrap-around grips for about $35 useing some spare buckskin I had sitting aound. They do not increase the grip size near as much and work wonderfully. I think I did a write-up on them last year, so you might do a search on my old posts. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

The Glide has one inch bars, as do all Harleys... and I'm used to it, besides, the HotGrips dont increase the size of your grips, they just replace them.

The hot grips will fit on the RSV the problem is that the grip core is hard so it will not stretch over the throttle. The left grip fits just fine with the epoxy cement. The way to make the throttle grip fit is to file/grind off the ridges that are on the hand grip part of the throttle. Then put the epoxy on and slide the Hot Grip on. This is what I did and have had no problems, what so ever, over the 6 year span that they have been on.

I just installed the hotgrips and love them.. it was easy but very time consuming. I used a razor knife to cut the ridges off the throttle side. This worked very well but i still had to dremel tool the collar down at the end of the sleeve. I also cut the oem chrome trim collar down to fit the new grips. Just looks more finished.

The Glide has one inch bars, as do all Harleys... and I'm used to it, besides, the HotGrips dont increase the size of your grips, they just replace them.

The heated grips to which I was referring were the ones that wrap around the outside of the stock grips and secure with Velcro - they are the only ones that I know of that specifically say not to use on 1" bars (as referenced by the OP). I assumed he was refering to the same thing.

Goose

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for your input. I've done two things:

1) For the Virago with old Hot Grips with gooey rubber I got some Grip Puppies. Very nice, and the heat from the grips gets thru them OK, just a little longer warm-up time with the Pups.

2) For the Venture, I ordered some Show Chrome heated grips. They sell much cheaper than Hot Grips, around $60, and come with a cool variable heat controller. I ran into a guy here at work who has them on his GW1800 and he is pleased with them. They are on order.

Jeremy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I got the Show Chrome heated grips installed on the Venture and they are nice! They heat up just about the same as the Hot Grips on the Virago do, which I was always pleased with. It's been cold here, so I haven't really tried the variable heat controller, just had them on HIGH. For $60, I'm pleased.

Jeremy

I used the heaters made by Symtec. Just remove stock grips and the elements stick to the bar and throttle sleeve. Just have to use a dremel to grind the throttle sleeve smooth then reinstall the rubber and barend weights. Not a bad job, just got to be patient. Only costs about $25.00 Works well with a hig/low switch and Keeps the stock look.

Heres the link to the site: :clap2:

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=16011&Category_Code=heated_grips

I used the heaters made by Symtec. Just remove stock grips and the elements stick to the bar and throttle sleeve. Just have to use a dremel to grind the throttle sleeve smooth then reinstall the rubber and barend weights. Not a bad job, just got to be patient. Only costs about $25.00 Works well with a hig/low switch and Keeps the stock look.

Heres the link to the site: :clap2:

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=16011&Category_Code=heated_grips

I am thinking about installing these but I was wondering what you needed to grind on the throttle sleeve with the dremel?????

Guest tx2sturgis
Heated grips?

Do they make such things, and if so for what purpose? :D

Spoken by a true Floridian.:whistling:

Like the drivers from south Texas asking what a winter front and tire chains are for on a Semi.