IGNORED

Heated grip brands, experiences?

Gearhead

In Tucson we get cold winter mornings (cold for riding, anyway) and hot summer days, so I'd like AC grips half the year! On my Virago, I installed Hot Grips with the switch mounted on the LH switch pod. The way the bat-handle sticks up, it's easy to bump it when I remove my hand from the grip for any reason, sometimes without noticing. It's pretty rude in the summer when it's already over 100 deg and the grips start getting hot!

"I got a set of heated grips as well. Where did you guys mount the switch? Did you use the switch that came with the grips or did you get something different, and if so, what?"

I noticed you ride a RSV. Mine is a VR so what I did won't help you much. Did you get the Show Chrome grips? I used the heat controller they supplied, mounted on the RH side of the fairing next to the CB. Your bike has a little leaner style in the fairing, so you'll have to find your own place. If you don't like the controller, you could use a double-throw toggle switch and a resistor like Hot Grips does. The resistor is for LO. But first, I'd connect the Show Chrome controller and use a meter to see if the grips are wired in parallel or series.

Jeremy

Mine came from Aerostitch, they can be set up as Off-HI or Off-LO-HI. I was going to use the three position setup, but am not quite sure where I want to mount the switch itself. I am of the opinion that mounting it on the fairing would put it too far away. I have looked at some of the switch panels that are supposed to attach to the brake cylinder tops, but the company will not respond to my questions.

I got a set of heated grips as well. Where did you guys mount the switch? Did you use the switch that came with the grips or did you get something different, and if so, what?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here is a picture of where I mounted my switch between the tach and the right bar:

[ATTACH]14365[/ATTACH]

You can see the whole write-up of how I made the grip heaters here (unless Don has moved it to the tech library):

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=47938#post47938

Mine came from Aerostitch, they can be set up as Off-HI or Off-LO-HI. I was going to use the three position setup, but am not quite sure where I want to mount the switch itself. I am of the opinion that mounting it on the fairing would put it too far away. I have looked at some of the switch panels that are supposed to attach to the brake cylinder tops, but the company will not respond to my questions.

I thought it would be too far also but i went ahead and mounted it in the faring so i have to reach under the clutch to switch it.. It is a little streach but it works fine. As a matter of fact i cant even see it but its right where i expect it to be when i feel for it. Be sure to fire it off of a relay or you will leave it on when you shut off the bike.

If you only have HI setting, you will likely be switching it on and off alot on cool-but-not-cold days. My Virago had HI-LO and the swich is near the HI-LO beam switch within easy reach of the left thumb, and it is nice as sometimes even with two positions I find myself switching between the two. I have seen a "doo-dad switch" in a bike catalog, which is just a switch housing that mounts to a handlebar.

With the heat controller on the Venture's Show Chrome grips, I don't think I will be adjusting it as often, so hopefully it's fairing location won't be irritating.

Jeremy

I have two speeds .. hi and low.. I thought i might be doing a lot of toggling but now i just leave it on hi.. I control the heat by how hard i squeeze the grips.. a light touch and its not much heat.. a firm grip and you can feel the burn! lol