IGNORED

Reduced fuel economy...that varies

Hello,

Looking for some input from all you knowledgeable Venture riders.

My 2003 RSV has just turned over 95,000 km. Last year I put on Barons Bag Slash pipes - was told no need to re-jet, so I didn't. Prior to this I had noticed a slight reduction in fuel economy but nothing I worried about...but it continued to worsen to the point of only getting about 300 km to a tank, some days 269, depending on the riding I was doing.

No backfiring or performance issues noted.

I put back the stock pipes this year and am on my second or third tank of gas after storage for the winter. The plugs were replaced prior to winter storage. While in storage I cleaned and re-oiled both K&N filters.

I went through 15 litres of fuel going about 169 km on the way to work at speeds around 120 - 130 km/h.

On the way home, I went through 11.4 litres of fuel for about 159 km on the way home travelling more like 130-140 km/h.

I rode faster home, which is predmonintley up hill and went through less fuel on the way home than I did going downhill to work.

So, doing the math, I got about 26.58 mpg on the way to work (downhill and in the sunshine) and 32.73 mpg on the way home (raining in part of the way, going uphill and faster after through the rain. These are far cries from 40 to 50 mpg spec'ed.

I popped in to one shop....they are going to go through the Yamaha update manuals. Initially, they thought maybe I oiled the air filters too much and perhaps some of the oil plugged up the K&N's. (I did give them a good amount of oil, but didn't think it was excessive-like no puddles or dripping)

I called a Yammy shop and they quoted the new estimated fuel economy saying I should be getting 51 mpg and should consider a carburetor rebuild. One other knowledgeable colleague of mine seconded that opinion. (additional question - what has changed to give such a difference in estimated fuel economy? 42 mpg to 51. Are the carbs the same? If not, can the 03 be rebuilt to the same specs as the 2011?)

So, I am throwing it out there for your learned opinions.

I will try some seafoam tomorrow after my night shift - can't hurt...

$19 on the way to work, $17 on the way home foe 370 km...for economy, I may as well drive my Ford Escape, the way it is now.

Thanks for your guidance.

hhmmmm might adj. float levels, and clean jets. I get between 42 and 46mpg, depends on wind, if I`m 2up or alone, how hard I`m riding... I get between 169m and 197m before the fuel light comes on, and can still go 35m+ after that... I don`t sweat it... if it really drops off, then I`ll start checking things out. try those 2 things and see what happens, I am sure that a Carb. Pro will chime in and give ya some pointers.. Good luck.

K

I think the only way you will get 51 mpg out of it is if yo push it half way. Mine has always run in the mid to low 30s running 65-70 mph. I have seem 40 when riding in the hills 40-50 mph. I would run some seafoam for a couple of tanks and see how it does.

I generally get around 40 mpg, give or usually take depending on how far into the twist I get. There are few if any Ventures getting 50 mpg. I would say most RSV's are in the 35 to 45 range.

There are too many variables to judge mileage from one or two tankfuls of fuel.

I have an 06 rstd and with 10% ethanol the best I can get is about 38 mpg at any speed. The worse I get is 32 mpg and that's usually at 70 - 75 mph. Since it rolled out the show room it's never gotten better than 40 mpg with any kind of fuel. I'd be curious if there's something that would help. Like one has said, a lot of variables: shorter windshields..I could see 2-4 mpg differences, but not 5-10 mpg unless there is some seriously bad tolerances during manufacturing.

Edited by jfoster

Our mpg has varied from a low of approximately 22-23mpg up to approximately 50mpg. The only two consistent factors are wind and how much and how far I twist my right wrist.

Two up running 80mph we average 30-32 unless we're pushing high winds. On the 2-lane running 65-70mph we get high 30's to low 40's depending on wind.

Given that you have considerable experience on your bike you may simply be twisting the throttle a bit more aggressively?

I just ain't gonna believe 51 MPG on one of these bikes. That number is high, even for a pipe dream!

But your numbers sound an awful lot like you are running on three instead of four. Not a lot to "rebuild" in these carbs, assuming you are not leaking gas anywhere. I'd check to make sure all the choke plungers are going fully in, measure the plug cap resistance (should be around 10K ohms each) and pull all the diaphragms and check them carefully for holes. Then if everything looks good, do a fingertip cold-start test to see if all the jugs are lit at idle.

Goose

I have a 08 RSV and since she was new have always got around 35 mpg on her. I have a few friends with ultras and street glides that are getting around 50 mpg from what they tell me. I wish I would get better and mines stock on the engine so far.

When I ride for the fun of it, I'm lucky if I can get 38 mpg.. that's dropping the hammer, riding it on the power curve, riding it like I stole.. If I'm going for distance and trying to have fun anyway, I can get it into the low 40's..

My BEST ever, was 52 MPG coming up from Key West Florida last May.. riding slow speed at highest gear possible without lugging the engine, a stiff tail wind.. No fantasy, no lie.. that was the ONLY ever time I had ever gotten out of the 40's with fuel mileage on my bike..

My worse ever mileage was 28 mpg out of a tank riding into a stiff 40 mpg wind gusting 60.. man now THAT was hard on the body!!

She is in being checked at the shop. I will report back with what they found, what they did and how it works out after I get it back....will be a few days though.

I greatly appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

:clap2:

Trevor, in your profile it says your wife rides a Vision... what kinda gas mileage is she getting?

I've had my scoot for 2.5 years now and as far as I can recall, I don't think I've checked the gas mileage yet. Seems I started once by keeping receipts but somewhere along the way, forgot to get a few so couldn't calculate it. Maybe this summer on the trip to Cody I will attempt it again but for the most part, as long as the scoot is running good, I just put the gas in and ride.

I rode to work yesterday and then some errands. Put 125 miles on the bike. It had a full tank when I started out. When I was done, it took 3.125 gallons to fill it back up. That's 40 mpg. Mostly highway at 70 mph. I do twist the throttle a bit more. If I am REALLY conservative, I can squeeze 46 mpg. I ride an 07 RSV.

I ride pretty easy and get at least 40mpg and have gotten upper 40's to 50mpg once in a while...when you said you oiled your K and N filter a bell went off....there are numerous threads on this and other bike forums like goldwing and harley forums where low mpg numbers are linked to k and n filter that were cleaned and oiled....go back to the stock filters and see what happens.....ride a tank nice and easy and see what happens....

Trevor, in your profile it says your wife rides a Vision... what kinda gas mileage is she getting?

I've had my scoot for 2.5 years now and as far as I can recall, I don't think I've checked the gas mileage yet. Seems I started once by keeping receipts but somewhere along the way, forgot to get a few so couldn't calculate it. Maybe this summer on the trip to Cody I will attempt it again but for the most part, as long as the scoot is running good, I just put the gas in and ride.

I will have to see the dash (has the computer to show consumption). We have roughly the same sized tanks and she can go longer than I can...substantially.

I regularly ride 160 miles round trip to the coast to my caravan. The speed limits vary from 30-70 mph and the roads are twisting and winding and several long straights but with few hills. Traffic often is delayed by roadworks etc.

I used to get high 40's miles per gallon (Imperial gallons) until I found out that the dealer (Yamaha Main Dealer) had fitted the wrong grade of plugs so I now service the bike myself. I fitted the correct plugs and regularly get low 50's per gallon solo.

Old Miner.:backinmyday:

I can see why longer trips (above 50 miles) may yield higher mpgs.

My rountrip commuteis about 50 miles and cruising speed of 70 to 75 mph. At those speeds, I will get between 36 to 39 mpg with better numbers during warmer weeks. If I only take the side roads, I probably may reach the low 40s. But....the highway cruise is much more fun for me for now. Ride safe.