IGNORED

after market mufflers for 08 RSTD

I'm looking to possibly replace my stock mufflers. Problem is I don't want to have my ears ringing after a 30 minute ride, or bust other folks ear drums (unless I want to announce my presence). I want a deep heavy rumble at idle with a loud bark if I open'er up. Any suggestions on what type of mufflers to buy, and is there possibly a you-tube site that I can get an idea of the sound? Thanks in advance!

Hope you take this right!

I've been messing most of my life with 2 stroke KTM D. Bikes but have messed with 4 strokes also.

In Most cases Pipes are for sound, and thats something we as a group don't need more of. People don't hate M/C's They HATE Noise!

As for preformance Opening the exhaust forces in most cases a Lean condition which then means you need more fuel. Your electronics, air flow, and Carb are all mated by gifted engineers who consider all things in the design so unless you have bought the wrong M/C for your use you are better off leaving it alone. When messing with Pipes, Jetting, air and electronic settings you will in most cases end up with glitches and a more tempermental Setup. I hope this doesn't start something negative but there seems to be so much peer pressure for the bikes to be loud. How many Harley buddies do you have that ride with ear plugs? Don't want to get a bad rep. here but at least consider how good modern bikes are before you start messing with them.

Good Luck

BF

I've been messing most of my life with 2 stroke KTM D. Bikes but have messed with 4 strokes also.

In Most cases Pipes are for sound, and thats something we as a group don't need more of. People don't hate M/C's They HATE Noise!

As for preformance Opening the exhaust forces in most cases a Lean condition which then means you need more fuel. Your electronics, air flow, and Carb are all mated by gifted engineers who consider all things in the design so unless you have bought the wrong M/C for your use you are better off leaving it alone. When messing with Pipes, Jetting, air and electronic settings you will in most cases end up with glitches and a more tempermental Setup. I hope this doesn't start something negative but there seems to be so much peer pressure for the bikes to be loud. How many Harley buddies do you have that ride with ear plugs? Don't want to get a bad rep. here but at least consider how good modern bikes are before you start messing with them.

Good Luck

BF

Whatever,...

Anyway, Check out this You Tube Video,... It is a Venture Royal with Vance & Hines Monster Ovals off of a HD. I love the sound Low and deep rumble, not to loud, and I think they look great.

Just another option for ya,..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRN_hp_Bksc]YouTube - Vance & Hines Monster Ovals on Yamaha (Star Royal Venture)[/ame]

Good Luck

BF

:stickpoke::buttkick::duck::sign67::whistling::stickinouttounge::080402gudl_prv:

Folks....he DID say that he hoped you take it right. I saw nothing insulting in what was written and in fact, thought it was stated very well. Most of what was said is fact. I too like a little noise from time to time but did get tired of it after a while and went back to stock mufflers. I also know that on some bikes, going to a more free flowing exhaust can and will hurt the performance and gas mileage. I did not find that to be the case on the RSV. I can't say that it helped in any way but it didn't seem to hurt either.

It is also true about the noise. As much as many of us may like the louder and deeper sounds, many cities across the USA are really cracking down on bikes due to the excess noise. It is something to think about.

Not everybody needs to agree with any of this but it's certainly another side of the story that is valid. We are all free....for now anyway....to make our own decision about this issue.

As they say, we are all different. I like a good sound from the pipes myself but I don't care for a lot of noise either. I actually had a set of Road King mufflers and was going to do the swap but I started to listen to the stock RSV mufflers and decided the little bit of rumble they have is just fine for me now.

I also have a 2006 Road Star that I bought with Bub's Big Willy pipes and the "performance" baffles. It's a good sound but way louder than I like. It's less fun for me to ride than the RSV because of the loudness. (Before anyone ask why I haven't swapped to a quieter exhaust, I was going to but now I'm considering trading it for an older RSV to turn into a daily solo rider.)

To each his own. :thumbsup2:

Folks....he DID say that he hoped you take it right. I saw nothing insulting in what was written and in fact, thought it was stated very well. Most of what was said is fact. I too like a little noise from time to time but did get tired of it after a while and went back to stock mufflers. I also know that on some bikes, going to a more free flowing exhaust can and will hurt the performance and gas mileage. I did not find that to be the case on the RSV. I can't say that it helped in any way but it didn't seem to hurt either.

It is also true about the noise. As much as many of us may like the louder and deeper sounds, many cities across the USA are really cracking down on bikes due to the excess noise. It is something to think about.

Not everybody needs to agree with any of this but it's certainly another side of the story that is valid. We are all free....for now anyway....to make our own decision about this issue.

c'mon boss?? i was good this time??? never typed a word!!:rotf::whistling::confused24:

I have BUB Sleepers on My 07 RSTD. I have not heard them yet. I am in Afghanistan and will be on R&R starting 1 may for 2 weeks. i will be back in September. I ordered Mine from www.westendmotorsports.com

about 375.00 free shipping too. My son Rode My bike home after the Slipoms were installed. he told me that I will be heard. Hurry up 1 May.

Jim Bell

FOB SHANK

AFGHANISTAN

Edited by guns_usn_20
been a long day

I have BUB Sleepers on My 07 RSTD. I have not heard them yet. I am in Afghanistan and will be on R&R starting 1 may for 2 weeks. i will be back in September. I ordered Mine from www.westendmotorsports.com

about 375.00 free shipping too. My son Rode My bike home after the Slipoms were installed. he told me that I will be heard. Hurry up 1 May.

Jim Bell

FOB SHANK

AFGHANISTAN

come home safe jim, enjoy the ride and tell everyone over there THANK YOU for your service and our freedom. mike

I put Barons Bag slash's on my 08 tour deluxe. I like them, I pulled the baffles and wrapped them. It helped take some of the sharpness out of them. I like them like that. They sound good without the packing, but are a tad on the loud side for me that way.

I have Samson slash cut on my 06 RSTD. I have them because they were on the bike when I bought it used last year.

Thankfully the wife and I wear full face helmets with comm headsets or I'd be looking for something alittle more mellow.

I do love the sound of those Vance and Hines Monster Ovals!

Jim Bell

FOB SHANK

AFGHANISTAN

Thank you for your time. Proud to be an American Hillbilly. Prayers for you and yours. Glad you ride.:325: With Regards, James Darrell Fultz - Olive Hill, Ky