IGNORED

How do I get rid of spy-schredder?

Venturous Randy

Somewhere I have picked up spy-schredder and I can not uninstall it. I even went on their web site and it would not bring up their homepage. It has slowed down my computer and everytime I turn it on I have to go thru a bunch of crap just to get it off the screen. Any help is appreciated and any instructions need to be basic.

I just had to x out a popup on spy-schredder as I was writing this.

Thanks,

RandyA

Have you tried Install/Uninstall from the control panel in Windows? Also check Microsoft website for updates, etc. I know if you reinstall IE7 (Internet Explorer 7) it will run a malicious software removal tool. Hopefully you are running XP with service pack 2. Good luck!

Dan

I have not had to deal with spy-shedder but know exactly what you are going through. The problem is even after an "unistall" there are severall .dll files left that are called for when you restart the computer resulting in the program being re-installed. Here are a couple of links that can asisst in the removal. The first has a "automated" fix along with a manual process.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic98791.html

This site only has the manual process that provides all the info:

http://www.xp-vista.com/spyware-removal/spyshredder-removal-instructions

Hope this helps.

pa_don

randy those things drive me bonkers too!! I went to Best Buy not to long ago and purchased some software called Spy Sweeper - best 10 bucks I have ever spent!!

How long since you backed up your pictures/data you dont want to loose? Get that stuff stored on disks,,, aint nothing worse then tieing into bugs that eventually cost you your important info...

That said,, have you done a "system restore" yet? Just choose a date in the past when your machine wasnt having the problem and it may help.. To find system restore - click on the start button, all programs, accessories, system tools and system restore. choose to restore to earlier date - choose the date from the calendar.. Some of this crap will follow you but some dont..

Also,, how long since you have done a disk defrag??

Aint this fun,,, and they told us computers were going to simplify our lives,, at least we are all in it together...

'Puc

I may have got rid of it. I have had spybot on my computer for a long time and ocassionally use it. After I was not able to down load anything that pa_don suggested due to low memory, i decided to try the spybot. I first clicked on updates and after about 90 minutes of it going thru my computer and it bringing up 12 different listings on spy schredder, it seems this morning to be gone. At least it did not come up when I turned the computer on and the computer seems to be running faster then it did last night.

Anyway, computers are somewhat like motorcycles, you better pay attention which road you go down.

Thanks for the help.

RandyA

After you've removed this "crap" and your PC seems to be working "ok"... get ccleaner and do a registry cleanup coz there will be a lot of invalid registy entries that will affect your PC's performance as well.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

I tried this and it said I have 295 issues in my registry and told me I had to purchase the program to fix more than 50. I never did find out what the purchase price was so I backed out of it.

Thanks for your help.

RandyA

I tried this and it said I have 295 issues in my registry and told me I had to purchase the program to fix more than 50. I never did find out what the purchase price was so I backed out of it.

Thanks for your help.

RandyA

Strange that it would do that because it is listed as FREEWARE

Can't recall if that happened to me or not; however, how about this... when it lists all that needs fixing, select only 50 and fix them...then re-run it, select the next 50 and fix them...and so on...and so on...

I do computers as a hobby and I always run into that kind of spy-ware. CCleaner is free, from their web site, and it cleans what it finds, so you downloaded a trail verison of its pay verison. So get the free verison and you'll be all set. Spy-bot is good, real good but being free it doesn't get everything. A pay program like spysweeper from webroot used along with spy-bot is what I use. Its $10 to $30 a year with rebates at most stores, even at $30 its worth it. I'd say unless spy-sweeper says you're clean you're not in my eyes. I've found that with these nasty spy-ware programs when you're done if you're just starting to use anti-spyware programs it works best to just do your machine over, do all updates, install spy-bot and spysweeper, and you'll be much better off. I'll help anyone if you email me. Don't have cds I can help there too. Just trying to help out, just speaking from experiance.

Thanks for your help.

RandyA

I just downloaded version 2.02 no prob. Ran it and found 100 problems in the registry. Cleaned them without any prompts to purchase.

I just downloaded version 2.02 no prob. Ran it and found 100 problems in the registry. Cleaned them without any prompts to purchase.

Hey! Thanks for that site. I did like you said and it downloaded. I've cleaned up a bunch of crap!

Leonard

the last time i did a clean up , dumped temp files , i lost all my saved passwords , user id and bookmarks , what did i do wrong ? will ccleaner do the the same ? i run firefox . i have CRS and can't afford to do that again , took me 2 mos. to get every thing back .

the last time i did a clean up , dumped temp files , i lost all my saved passwords , user id and bookmarks , what did i do wrong ? will ccleaner do the the same ? i run firefox . i have CRS and can't afford to do that again , took me 2 mos. to get every thing back .

You have to specify what to clean and what not to. The first screen is the "Windows Cleaner" ... if you don't uncheck things like cookies, history, autocomplete form history, etc... yes, you will lose stuff you might want to keep. These programs will, by default, clear out "junk";however, some of that can be good junk. For example, most cookies are junk but things like on-line banking login information, etc are not junk but are stored in a cookie. If you get rid of all cookies, you'll lose that info.

Addendum...

If you look in the Options | Cookies section, you'll see where you can specify what cookies to keep.

You have to specify what to clean and what not to. The first screen is the "Windows Cleaner" ... if you don't uncheck things like cookies, history, autocomplete form history, etc... yes, you will lose stuff you might want to keep. These programs will, by default, clear out "junk";however, some of that can be good junk. For example, most cookies are junk but things like on-line banking login information, etc are not junk but are stored in a cookie. If you get rid of all cookies, you'll lose that info.

Addendum...

If you look in the Options | Cookies section, you'll see where you can specify what cookies to keep.

it worked !!! and i did not lose any thing thank you