IGNORED

Today was the best day

autopilot

This will take a little explaining, but please bear with me; it's been a long time coming and if I don't tell someone who will appreciate it, I'll bust! I got my '98 RSTD back in May, after about a 25 year dry spell of being without. As luck would have it, I didn't even get to ride in the spring because of hernia surgery, followed shortly by a minor heart attack and stent surgery. When I finally got the OK to do things again, I wanted to get W/W tires and pipes put on and I had to get it lowered before I was going to attempt going anywhere. I also wanted to get the 8k service done way early so I'd have a good warm & fuzzy. Finally got all that done and started getting some time on the bike to get my "sea legs" back so to speak and have spent the last couple of months regaining my proficiency (to MY level of expectation).

My wife of almost 40 years never rode with me more a couple of miles (and only one time at that) on either my Bonneville ('69) or Suzuki ('82) back in the day. Well, it seems she has a yen to ride now. She got herself a neat little leather jacket and the cutest little bitty engineer boots I've ever seen. A friend was getting rid of his Harley and his wife gave mine her helmet (used maybe 2 times), and we were pretty well set to go. She got a cold and was off the radar for about a month, then I had a less severe bout and a lingering sore throat, that finally went away. Which brings us to today. After she went for some last minute groceries for Thanksgiving, we donned our duds and took a perfect 75 degree ride through the country near here, for about an hour and a half.

I almost cried. I love riding, especially out in the country. It is SO much more fulfilling and fun to have her ride with me after all these years. I can't imagine a better day (in this world) than today! She enjoyed the ride and the bike; I was ecstatic. So, when I give thanks tomorrow (today, now) it will be for a lot of things...life, love, God's blessings and yes..my motorcycle and the day before Thanksgiving, 2007, when me and my wife went motorcycle riding 2-up. M-m-m-m-m...Man life is good!

Steve.R (aka autopilot)

and took a perfect 75 degree ride through the country near here, for about an hour and a half.

I'm hating you about now!! :rotf::rotf: We got about 6" of snow and yesterday saw a high of about 28º.

Just Kidding. I'm so happy for you. What a memory!! I'm sure it will last for the rest of your life and be something you'll think about and maybe even recreate every Thanksgiving. Hoping that next year is a better year, health wise, and you'll get to make so many more great memories of many more great rides!! :thumbsup2:

My wife has never been real great about riding, but she says that she wants to do as much riding as she can this coming summer. I hope things turn out as well for me as they seem to be for you. Hope the enjoyment continues.

LOL (lots of luck), and I will be pulling for you:322:

This will take a little explaining, but please bear with me; it's been a long time coming and if I don't tell someone who will appreciate it, I'll bust! I got my '98 RSTD back in May, after about a 25 year dry spell of being without. As luck would have it, I didn't even get to ride in the spring because of hernia surgery, followed shortly by a minor heart attack and stent surgery. When I finally got the OK to do things again, I wanted to get W/W tires and pipes put on and I had to get it lowered before I was going to attempt going anywhere. I also wanted to get the 8k service done way early so I'd have a good warm & fuzzy. Finally got all that done and started getting some time on the bike to get my "sea legs" back so to speak and have spent the last couple of months regaining my proficiency (to MY level of expectation).

My wife of almost 40 years never rode with me more a couple of miles (and only one time at that) on either my Bonneville ('69) or Suzuki ('82) back in the day. Well, it seems she has a yen to ride now. She got herself a neat little leather jacket and the cutest little bitty engineer boots I've ever seen. A friend was getting rid of his Harley and his wife gave mine her helmet (used maybe 2 times), and we were pretty well set to go. She got a cold and was off the radar for about a month, then I had a less severe bout and a lingering sore throat, that finally went away. Which brings us to today. After she went for some last minute groceries for Thanksgiving, we donned our duds and took a perfect 75 degree ride through the country near here, for about an hour and a half.

I almost cried. I love riding, especially out in the country. It is SO much more fulfilling and fun to have her ride with me after all these years. I can't imagine a better day (in this world) than today! She enjoyed the ride and the bike; I was ecstatic. So, when I give thanks tomorrow (today, now) it will be for a lot of things...life, love, God's blessings and yes..my motorcycle and the day before Thanksgiving, 2007, when me and my wife went motorcycle riding 2-up. M-m-m-m-m...Man life is good!

Steve.R (aka autopilot)

I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FELT. I love having my wife or my son along with me. It almost just isn't as much fun without them.

Happy Thanksgiving! And you are right. Life IS GOOD!:thumbsup:

Steve,

Sounds like something I've heard before.

My wife and I celebrated our 40th this past August. Up until about 3 years ago my wife didn't ride either. Was afraid of the bikes and had ridden maybe twice with me through the years and each time she was scared to death. Well all of a sudden she announced she wanted to ride with me. The first time she went along we got caught in a down pour, she had no rain suit.

She now rides quite a lot with me, not on long trips, she uses the friendly skies but it is most enjoyable to have her with me.

She is now so comfortable on the bike she falls asleep at times. LOL

Jerry

Yep, know the feeling, my wife wouldn't ride with me, not at all, until one day, after I got the VR she was standing on the porch, dressed and ready to go. Now if I leave by myself, even for s short trip, I can see the look in her face: what????I'm not going along????????? Scoot just isn't the same without her.

Happy riding, be careful with her.

Hey, Steve, know what you mean. I was very surprised last year when my wife said she wanted to go for a ride - and after that morning of the day ride we were on, said she loved it. We both did our first long ride this year to Ft. Collins with this group - she never had so much fun. In fact, the day after we got home she said she wanted to go see Canada, the rest of the U.S. - when we leaving? Congrats to the both of you - that is one reason to give Thanks today. Enjoy.

Steve,

I know how you feel. I hadn't ridden in 20+ years. First kids then bad hips kept me off. Dr. said he didn't like me riding with all that metal in my legs, but after a while I decided that riding was what I wanted, so bought a nice '86 VR. After I got my riding chops back I asked my wife to ride with me (she used to ride her own bike back in the day) and I loved it but she felt cramped and I could not find a way to easily move the trunk on the bike back.

So I bought her a bike! found a sweet Honda Shadow Ace Tourer and she is now going for rides with me. I remember when we were riding before how nice it was to look over and see her going down the road. Still is nice. But I hope once in a while, she will hop on the VR with me. :)

It seems to be a recurring theme here. I also had a long dry spell of 20+ years. (Kids came along) This past summer has been the first of many to come back in the saddle. Every time I look at the scoot I think about how blessed I am that my wife loves riding as much (maybe more) as I do. There are times when I’m in the dungeon and she comes down to haul me out for a ride. I LOVE it!! Steve you are a lucky man. Count your blessings.

Wayne

You have described my dream. My Warden is my life but she won't ride with me. It is my fault. I have ridden for years and a lot of it like a IDIOT! Finally grew up a little and I think she was considering it when that Crack-Head blindsided me. Hopes went up in smoke. Can't tell her it is not dangerous but she won't listen anyway.

That sure is cool! And you are a lucky guy.

My Marilyn rode with me about twice on long rides. Once because she didnt have a bike when we went down to Potato Creek and once because she couldnt ride because of her knee surgery.

She liked the 2nd gen better as far as room goes.

But basically she didnt like riding behind me at all. She is most happy when riding her own bike and making me try and catch up to her!

Do I miss having her on the back? A little. But I enjoy seeing the smile on her face when she is riding her own...it is a little nerve racking sometimes riding and worrying about her getting hit or something and me not having any control over it.