IGNORED

Local bikers protest checkpoint

Owen

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good points. Thought it was in Monkeyboy1969s post that comes to the real culprits behind traffic stops in general. New York State. Welcome to the "Empire State". Its not called that for nothing! We have many ways of making you pay and keep in line.:mo money:I stand behind my first comment BS.:D

Puttin' in my two bob's worth:

In Australia: No loud pipes above 98?? decibels [bikes have compliance label]

Booze buses out most weekends.[These announced in media] All LEO's carry breathalizer's in vehicles, and can also do random stops, safety checks, license and breatherlizer checks.

"Scalies" [road traffic authority] can set up on major highways and do safety, license, log book checks.

......that's just the main one's..........................

Yes my health care might be free at the Dr. office but every year I pay ba big bunch of taxes. about 40% of my gross income. The more someone screws with it the more taxes I pay. You could say I pay for my own health care,

And I too have a hearing loss. Not from loud pipes, but a life time in a loud enviorment ,small arms and rifle too. I grew up on a farm and many night went to bed with that tractor pounding in my ears and it was still pounding in the morning. My plan does covor it.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree on some things.....

I also log in as Pam because I needed something unique that I could remember. To many protected work passwords that keep changing, and my brain is like a steel trap that has been left in the rain to long

frank.

Promised myself to just read and keep quiet however I have never been good at resisting temptation. I enjoyed reading all the posts and can see value in each side. The problem as I see it goes back over 235 years ago which I will address in a moment. First allow me to say that I as much as anyone can embrace 'safety', but if overdone even this pursuit can become stifling. I think we all can agree that there are only two certainties in life, 'death and taxes' and God bless America we truly have enough of the one. So in reality just how safe can we be? My biggest problem is when such endeavors conflict with our founding principles. Does anyone recall the final few words of our nations pledge? "With Liberty and Justice for All". Here is where this all gets interesting, for you see I did a tiny bit of research and as Webster puts it Liberty means 'the quality or state of being free', in fact when searching a couple of dictionary sites there was one central word utilized in defining Libery and that was "FREEDOM". I trust this concept does not need a long winded discertation (sp?) however with the current state of political intrusion we all suffer I feel confident in saying that we are deep in the throws of the boiling frog theory, the temperature of the water keeps rising. Bottom line for me, I more and more feel like William Wallace from BraveHeart.............F R E E D O M .... before we lose it all!

Promised myself to just read and keep quiet however I have never been good at resisting temptation. I enjoyed reading all the posts and can see value in each side. The problem as I see it goes back over 235 years ago which I will address in a moment. First allow me to say that I as much as anyone can embrace 'safety', but if overdone even this pursuit can become stifling. I think we all can agree that there are only two certainties in life, 'death and taxes' and God bless America we truly have enough of the one. So in reality just how safe can we be? My biggest problem is when such endeavors conflict with our founding principles. Does anyone recall the final few words of our nations pledge? "With Liberty and Justice for All". Here is where this all gets interesting, for you see I did a tiny bit of research and as Webster puts it Liberty means 'the quality or state of being free', in fact when searching a couple of dictionary sites there was one central word utilized in defining Libery and that was "FREEDOM". I trust this concept does not need a long winded discertation (sp?) however with the current state of political intrusion we all suffer I feel confident in saying that we are deep in the throws of the boiling frog theory, the temperature of the water keeps rising. Bottom line for me, I more and more feel like William Wallace from BraveHeart.............F R E E D O M .... before we lose it all!

Thank You, Well said---All the devil needs is a well intentioned man to do nothing

I went, I was stopped, and my bike inspected....Didn't take long, the trooper checked my ID ran a check on my lic. and reg, checked my insurance, my lights, horn and brakes. Once he was satisfied that me or my friends were not a threat to public safety we were on our way. By doing a safety check they get a chance to talk with you one on one, noticing if your sober, nervious, agressive, defensive, evasive in your comments. Through this interaction they might see something that would make them look closer...possibly finding illeagle drugs, weapons or even explosives..Let's be honest that's the world we live in today...Might actually snag someone who has an outstanding warrant or riding a stolen bike. Possibly trip across somebody who's truly a dangerous threat to public safety heading to the same place as me and maybe you to spend the week. There are a lot of good people who ride out there but your kidding yourself if you don't admit that there are some bad people riding too....An event like Daytona Bike Week draws all kinds of bikers, good and bad...I had nothing to hide, my bike was road ready, (like the vast majority of you, I don't get on the road without checking my bike). The trooper was polite and I was on my way in a few minutes..actually a nice short break...Didn't necessarly enjoy it but understood why they did it...this is just my opinion...ODJ

I went, I was stopped, and my bike inspected....Didn't take long, the trooper checked my ID ran a check on my lic. and reg, checked my insurance, my lights, horn and brakes. Once he was satisfied that me or my friends were not a threat to public safety we were on our way. By doing a safety check they get a chance to talk with you one on one, noticing if your sober, nervious, agressive, defensive, evasive in your comments. Through this interaction they might see something that would make them look closer...possibly finding illeagle drugs, weapons or even explosives..Let's be honest that's the world we live in today...Might actually snag someone who has an outstanding warrant or riding a stolen bike. Possibly trip across somebody who's truly a dangerous threat to public safety heading to the same place as me and maybe you to spend the week. There are a lot of good people who ride out there but your kidding yourself if you don't admit that there are some bad people riding too....An event like Daytona Bike Week draws all kinds of bikers, good and bad...I had nothing to hide, my bike was road ready, (like the vast majority of you, I don't get on the road without checking my bike). The trooper was polite and I was on my way in a few minutes..actually a nice short break...Didn't necessarly enjoy it but understood why they did it...this is just my opinion...ODJ

So your saying it's perfectly alright to stop a biker but not a car or truck. Stops are stops and there is a purpose for them but when bikers are singled out and targeted there IS something wrong with that. How many more drugs, drunks, stolen vechicles outstanding warrents etc. do you think they'll get by stopping car than motorcycles do the math just more cars on the road so if you want your tax dollar well spent try this for size 1.)stop all 2.)stop just cars (and because of the huge fines Big Trucks) 3.)or stop no one saves all the money. I don't mind get stopped but I hate like hell to be singled out

Hey olddogjoe,

Good comment. You can't express your opinon on this subject without one person on here arguing with you and even calling you a dumb ass. This site is for friendly discussion but some people can't do that.

Hey olddogjoe,

Good comment. You can't express your opinon on this subject without one person on here arguing with you and even calling you a dumb ass. This site is for friendly discussion but some people can't do that.

If you won't discuss the point thats your problem and it seems to be a big one. I ain't called no one a "dumb ass" and resent that you think I did. I guess friendly discussion means aggreeing with you

ODJ didn't mind being stopped. His prerogative. A&S is now the guy I want for President. I know, I know Smart A##.:thumbsup2::rotfl::rotfl::D

it not about whether one guy "minds" being stopped it's abput the attitude of the government, in that they can do anything they want. right or wrong.

again I'll say --- All the devil needs is a well intentioned man to do nothing

it not about whether one guy "minds" being stopped it's abput the attitude of the government, in that they can do anything they want. right or wrong.

again I'll say --- All the devil needs is a well intentioned man to do nothing

Right.

Actually, the entire subject has now been beat to death. At this point, any time somebody posts that they don't mind being stopped, they are met with the same response about giving up rights. Nothing new is being said. This thread has really passed any point of being informative or educational.

Way to Go " OWEN" .....:stickpoke::rotfl:

Actually, the entire subject has now been beat to death. At this point, any time somebody posts that they don't mind being stopped, they are met with the same response about giving up rights. Nothing new is being said. This thread has really passed any point of being informative or educational.

Way to Go " OWEN" .....:stickpoke::rotfl:

Hey, I just thought it was an interesting subject. In Va. where I'm from, they have sobriety check points. There they stop everyone. I have never heard of these 'shake down the biker' stops. I just wanted to hear what other's thought. All in all, it has been enlightening...

:confused24:

Last comment (Iknow there will cheers from a few) but there has been no dicussion only people saying they don't mind being stopped fine, I don't mind being stopped as long as it's accross the board I just hope this isn't one of the first steps in cracking down on motorcycles (along with the others I've mentioned)

OMG!!!!

Is this going to turn into another long drawn out "I GOT THE LAST WORD IN " like the "good grammar" thread? :stickpoke:

Actually that would be poor grammar. Never end a statement with a preposition ("in"). :no-no-no:Correct grammar would be "I got in the last word!" :stirthepot: :stickpoke: :stirthepot:

This may get axed but I have to ask and if it is chopped I will certainly understand. Going back to my earlier comment on liberty and its basis on freedom as well as anyones ability to infringe on it, here is the question. IF you are ok today with being "singled out", stopped, questioned with the foundation being that it is for your safety, IF that is okay with you. Are you also willing to be OK with arbitrary searches of your home? Think about it. Same foundational principle, were talking safety here. If you have nothing to hide what can be the harm, and if we are able to round up a few bad guys during the process, hey all the better, it is a rousing success. Allow me to speculate that if you had been born and able to prophecy to your great grand parents half of the things that are actuality today back then, they most likely would have said you were stark raving mad. I say again, the water is getting warmer my friends. Am anxiously awaiting to hear responses to this question.