IGNORED

Mustang or Corbin Seat

OK i have the oppurtunity to purchase either a Corbin seat with a drivers back rest or a Mustang Seat with a Drivers Backrest.

So my question is this, for me I have ridden a mustang seat on my Virago for ten years, yet I am now moving to a 05 RSTD. So my main concern is passenger comfort.

Which seat gives the passenger the best support and comfort?

My wife and i a not small people so I really need some insite on this so I make the right decision.

Thanks

Viragofan

Soon to be owner of a 05 RSTD

Seats fit everybody different and the only way you will know is to try them for your self. I have a corbin for my venture and it looks great and it is very uncomfortable to me it now resides on the shelf. Others swear they are very comfortable for them. I have a mustang on the harley and it is great.

no contest, had them both the mustang has padding and the corbin has none.

if ya like a horse saddle =zero padding thats why corbin calls it a saddle instead of a seat.

the mustang is the seat for me.

It is definitely different for everyone..

I have a new Mustang Seat w/ backrest for a 05-09 RSTD I need to sell.

It's a nice seat but just didn't work for my body type.. only has a weekend trip on it.

I am small guy.. not sure if that factors in.

I have a Corbin on my 750 Shadow and like it. It is a no-pad seat for sure but that's their philosophy.

I went back to the stock seat w/ Butler mod and a Utopian backrest.. so far so good.

Oh and for passenger, the Mustang passenger seat is a bit wider and more comfortable than the stock one.. I haven't seen or tried a Corbin on a RSTD yet.

Since you are looking for passenger comfort the Mustang may not be the right seat. I have a Mustang with backrest on my RSV. I like the seat and my wife doesn't. It seems that the passenger seat is sloped toward the front. In addition to it be harder than the pillowtop seat, my wife complains that she slides forward and has to constantly push herself back. I contacted Mustang and they confirmed that that was the design and since the seat is a molded foam seat they couldn't take the cover off and reshape the passenger seat. So now if my wife is going to ride with me for more than an hour or so I switch the seat back to the pillow top. If the wife ain't happy........

Dennis

Since you are looking for passenger comfort the Mustang may not be the right seat. I have a Mustang with backrest on my RSV. I like the seat and my wife doesn't. It seems that the passenger seat is sloped toward the front. In addition to it be harder than the pillowtop seat, my wife complains that she slides forward and has to constantly push herself back. I contacted Mustang and they confirmed that that was the design and since the seat is a molded foam seat they couldn't take the cover off and reshape the passenger seat. So now if my wife is going to ride with me for more than an hour or so I switch the seat back to the pillow top. If the wife ain't happy........

Dennis

Yea but that's for the RSV.. he is talking RSTD, which doesn't have the pillow top.

And I didn't notice an angle difference with the Mustang passenger seat, just a little wider.

I find the stock seat on my Venture perfect. (280#) However on my 1100 vStar, I bought a Corbin Dual Touring Seat. Hard as heck for a long time. They said i'td be the best seat ever if I rode it for ~1K miles and they were right. Not really sure whats in them but after the break in period I could ride on that seat for hours without issue.

I will say that I questioned my decision along the way and also bought the Mustang seat. Very cushy but I did not like the riding position on the vStar at all...way too forward and angled up. Sold it on eBay.

Big prob I had with the Corbin was that I couldn't get my wife on the back for that many miles so it never broke in and she complained about it all the time.

As someone said though, everyone's different but I loved that Corbin Seat!

Never tried the corbin so, ignore this if you want. The mustang passenger seat is pretty wide with some padding - My wife liked it but still our first stop would be at about 150 miles, next at about 100, next about 85, next about 60. We put a RSV pillow top on and she loves it, I couldn't pry this pillow top out from under her if I wanted to. (I am pretty happy too). I am 5'11" and 240lbs - she is considerably smaller than me - but not tiny. She now rides fuel stop to fuel stop 150 - 180 miles all the time. I know it's not what you asked but, she wanted softer not harder. (Our other past-time is riding horses and she loves her saddle but she did not want it on the bike - I think largely because she moves around more and we don't ride as long on the horses). But, Corbin may be great.

You will get a lot of opinions regarding this subject - I didn't like either one of them - had Rich Mayer build me a seat - which was a large improvement, but still wasn't that comfortable for long trips. Then I got the Butler mod done for my seat, am very happy with it. After Mayer had rebuilt the passenger sear (a little wider) - the wife is very comrfortable with her seat.

Have you considered an Ultimate Seat? I have one on my RSTD and the both the wife & I enjoy it. Not sure how it compares to the Mustang pad-wise, but I love the natural riding position it puts me in. They are a little more pricey but not that far off compared to the Mustang. Also, they have a 14 day try it period where you can return it if you don't like it.

I put a mustang on my Roadie and it was much much better then stock. Stock seat on a Roadie might be the worst seat ever made and reminds me of the RSTD seat, but I've never been on a RSTD seat. Now I'm on a venture and for me, the stock pillow top venture seat is much better then the mustang. No problem to do back to back 700+ mile days. If I were looking for a new seat, think my next choice would be a day long, but don't know if they make one for the TD. A lot may depend on what type of riding you do. I think several people here have come up with a way to mount venture seats on a TD. My suggestion is to contact them to find how they did it and try to find used pillow top venture seats. I don't remember anyone ever complaining about passenger comfort on a venture stock pillow top seat.

Ok, so what I have gathered is a few things.

Corbin's take time to break in, so the lack of rear passanger to help break it in, may not be the best choice.

Mustang is a good seat, and for the money there are many that like them.

Yet, what I keep hearing is find a pillow top, do the Butler Mod, at the Utopian Backrest and ride on with the wife.

So now I need to find the seat, the mod and the backrest.

This is never ending,

GOD I LOVE MY MOTORCYCLE!!!!

Just wish it was warmer that 17 degrees outside and that the ice wash gone from the intersections.

I have both the stock RSTD seat and the Yamaha Corbin Studed seat for the RSTD.The Stock seat was OK but not great and I wanted the studed look anyway.I bought a set of the Studded seats from a member here who didn't like them.I loved the looks they were just what I wanted but for any riding longer then a couple the hours they were miserable.They never broke in and I put over 20,000 mi on it,plus enough with the wife on the back that it should have broken in also.They don't break in you just break down.I still love the looks but just cannot ride very far on them.I sent my stock seat to Rick Butler of this site to modify them and they are much better.You may also wish to do the same before you spend big money an aftermarket seat.Rick's mod is less then $100 with postage and worth a try.He does not do the studded Corbin seat that Yamaha sells,I wish he did.My son has a Mustang seat on his 1993 Intruder and that changed it from a 2 tank ride to and all day ride so if you are getting a good price on the Mustang that might be worthwhile.Seats are so personal it is hard give advice.Good luck.