ok, thanks, I`ll do that!!

Kreg

Kregerdoodle,

I got the same thing a while back. The only way I could make it stop using my email account to send those out was to go in and change my hotmail password.

Once I did that, it stopped.

That thing has been around the globe for some time.

Kregerdoodle,

I got the same thing a while back. The only way I could make it stop using my email account to send those out was to go in and change my hotmail password.

Yup, it may have nothing to do with your computer.

There are spamers that will pick an email addy from a free email site like hotmail or yahoo and have their computer just keep trying passwords till they get into your account. They then can send emails to their hearts content. People are more likely to open them since it was actually sent from your account to people that you know.

The only thing you can do is to change your password to a strong one that is completely different from the one you had.

Kregerdoodle,

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that: Had the same problem, change your password

I hope you took the time to notify those people. Often they don't even know that they have been infected.

Nope... didn't. Maybe I should of, but it's too late now. They're gone..gone..gone.... If this thing acts the way it's been discribed in this thread there's a good chance others have also received the virus email, and perhaps they will send a note.

Then again they might not have been infected email at all, and notifying the sender would have set off unnecessary alarms, or... send my email to a fishing POP. I don't need that.... Like I said they looked fishy and not important. Because my business is .com, my email address is available all over the web. I don't need to confirm it with a warning response. Or open that bogus looking imbedded link that the email had..... If the email was important, they'll send it again..... :)

I've gotten a few over the years from members here and knew that they were likely infected with a virus or Malware. I usually just come here and send them a PM to let them know. Then you are not sending a confirmation email to a possible spammer and they would likely appreciate being notified.

I've gotten a few over the years from members here and knew that they were likely infected with a virus or Malware. I usually just come here and send them a PM to let them know. Then you are not sending a confirmation email to a possible spammer and they would likely appreciate being notified.

Probably should have done that, but the member was outnumbered and didn't think of it. Maybe next time....

Guest tx2sturgis

I didnt realize people were still using hotmail....it has had a rep for junk mail for years....

I'd migrate that stuff to gmail...and yes, I realize ANY mail service can get hacked or phished.

But so far, gmail (google mail) seems to be pretty secure and spam-free. Plus you can use the calendars and contacts feature to synch all your devices. Its pretty cool. I change or add a contact on my iphone, and since its synched with gmail, in a couple minutes the same change or addition appears on my ipad and my google acct online. And if I accidentally delete a contact, I can go to the gmail website and recover a contact deleted in the last 30 days.

You can easily export all your contacts from hotmail to gmail, and notify all (or some) of your contacts that you have a new address.

http://www.techspot.com/news/33519-gmail-to-overtake-hotmail-by-end-of-2009.html

http://lifehacker.com/#!5564776

http://www.ehow.com/how_5898499_rid-hotmail-virus.html

Edited by tx2sturgis