IGNORED

?? regarding Honda V45 Sabre

bendtdj

I have a question for the wise ones here. I know it is not Venture related, but does anyone here know anything about the 1982 Honda V-45 Sabre? We are still looking to upgrade my 16 year old's bike. There is one listed at a dealer in Yankton for $1500.00 with only 13,000 miles on it. Pictures make it look pretty good. Any help would be appreciated. Do you folks think that a jump from 250 to 750 is too much?

http://www.yanktonmotorsports.com/images/yanktonmotorsports/VP1921574_1_large.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

They're nice machines and I believe most mechanical parts are still available. Finding a shop that will work on it may be a challenge, but if you do your own work that's not an issue.

At $1500 it better be in tip top shape, including newer tires. Have a look at the brake fluid which is one of the most neglected service items. If it's clear it MAY be an indication that the bike was well maintained. Look carefully at the forks for signs of pitting on the inner tubes and oil leaks. Of course make sure all the lights/horn etc work.

That model has a drum brake on the rear. Old brake shoes (they're likely to be original) can delaminate and lock the rear wheel. I'd plan on replacing them ASAP.

Unless he's a very small guy 750 is not too much of a step up. If he's going to do much freeway or long distance travel it probably falls into the bare minimum size. Of course you need to make sure the bike fits him well.

Hey David,

This bike is quite a "step up" from a 250 motorcycle! The V45 is as fast, if not faster than your MKI VR up to about 70 MPH. It is slightly more "top heavy" than say a 650 twin. From a mechanical standpoint, poor oiling to the top end causes these motors to become "noisy" (valve noise) in the 25,000 mile range. There is a kit to solve this problem. Before you purchase this bike, let it run on the center stand for 15 minutes and listen for the top end noise. If it has it, you don't want this bike.

The last point I want to mention is, this is a VERY FAST motorcycle! Because I don't personally know your son, it is not for me to judge his level of maturity. I will say that this bike has the potential to be a "hand full" for an adult rider. The power to weight ratio is VERY HIGH. This would be a classic example of "all the gear, all the time," when riding this motorcycle, even if you live in a state where a helmet is not required. My rule with my sons is that "if you get a ticket, or lay this bike down, from going too fast for conditions, then you WALK!" Out of ALL the bikes you could choose, for a "second bike", this is on the very, very, high end power wise, of a bike fit for a teenager. I will say this, both my oldest sons stepped up to a bike similar to this one, during their transition to the bikes they currently ride now in their early 20's, one of my sons did VERY well, where the other son, had to be "downgraded" to a medium sized twin, (550) until his "need for speed" could be contained. I personally use the "VERY FIRM, but fair" method with my three sons, and have had to be ruthless in the enforcement of the ground rules of All the gear, all the time, no tickets, no crashes, etc. I personally don't believe that a young person should ever be made to fear ANY machine. BUT, they should be taught to have a healthy RESPECT for the power of a machine that can go over 100 MPH at the flip of the wrist! You strike me as the type of person that knows his son very well, and I feel confident that you will make the right choice. Keep in mind that you are introducing your son to the world of motorsports, which could become a life long passion, with all of the thrills, and good times that we have all experienced during our time in the saddle. If your relationship with your son allows you to look him in the eye, and convey just how important it is for him to "keep his wits about him", when riding this very powerful motorcycle, then this bike will serve him well, and introduce him to the joys of motorcycle riding. If your relationship is anything LESS than that, then perhaps a mid sized twin is a better fit. Only YOU can answer this very important question. On a lighter note, I have attached a pic of the V45's "Big Brother", a 156HP V65 Magna.

My thoughts, for what they are worth. :thumbsup2:

Earl

Thanks for all the input, folks. Earl, with your review, I am starting to rethink things. The same dealer has a 1983 Virago 500 with just over 6,000 miles on it for the same price. This one comes with saddle bags and windshield. In comparing the photos of the two, the Virago looks to be more comfortable, and a bit safer. Would a 500 be enough to travel a bit?

http://www.yanktonmotorsports.com/images/yanktonmotorsports/VP1762005_2_large.jpg

Thanks,

Dave

That V-45 is an awesome bike and that one looks really nice. Especially for that price. I had the same decision a few years ago as I moved my son from a Rebel 250 to a larger bike. He was begging for my v45 Magna and I decided to go with a Shadow 600 for him. He is a great rider for his age but the speed thing was the final factor. The v45 is seriously fast for its weight. I figure he can get "faster" later when he gets out of college.

On another note..... In 1984 I went from a Suzuki GS250T to a Magna 700 and I survived.

My first bike that I owned that I bought and payed for. Was, a v30 Magna. It was fast as hell too. Did 113 downhill one day on it. But in hind sight, I should have got a slower bike. I highsided it. Thank god no cars were coming in the other lane. Me sliding in front of bike, it tumbling towards me. I was lucky, just got body slammed, leather did its job. But I now wear pants with hip pads cause thats where the slam got me. I did pick it up and ride into work, just a broken fork brace twisted handlebars and dent in tank. The Magnas rev way too high and are too fast/fun for the bikes handling if you ask me. Nice bikes but the V4 is a bit needy. Get him the Virago, they are nice smooth bikes. The starter can be addressed, if need be.

MiCarl,

Is this a difficult fix?

Dave

I've never been in one, but I've heard them sounding like they were grinding marbles. I think it'd be similar to the job on the Venture, pull the alternator rotor and the clutch is behind it. My understanding is that even with replacement parts (if you can still get them) it'll have a short life.

Hey Dave,

i have to agree with Earl. I have a v65 Sabre and the v4 from Honda and they are solid engines. BUT you don't ever want your son doing wheelies on one. The oil line are noted to be a little too thin and the engine can get oil starved and thus Earls comment about top end noise.

The 750 would be a great all round mid size touring bike but over 5000rpm there hides the heart of a tiger. My suggestion is that the Virago may be a better bike. It depends on if he rides more with you or his friends. Phil.

The 45Magna may be a 750 but its 4 cylinders and 80 hp make it about equal to a 1200 V-twin. My 1100 Virago has only about 60 hp. The first bike I bought when getting back into riding was a Virago 500. It was good to learn on because it is light but too small once I got proficient. If your son is already riding and is happy with a cruiser the xv1100 is a better choice than the xv500. Keep in mind 4 cylinder 750s are way more powerful than the 750 V-twins.

Hey David,

That Virago looks like an excellent second bike! In fact, if you pose this solution to your son, and he throws a "hissy fit" then you know you made the correct choice, because it appears as if he has trouble controlling his emotions. And if he is happy with the selection, then you will have a much better understanding of his maturity. There is a shim kit that can be installed in the Virago starters that solves the starter to starter clutch alignment issue. It's a simple fix. That Virago will go 65 just fine, and frankly, do you really want him going much faster than that? When he proves himself on the 500, step him up to something larger. I'm sure you will be able to get your money out of a nice looking bike like that.:thumbsup2: "Patience grasshopper, patience!" That's what I had to tell my sons.

Earl

Hmmmm, tough choice! The Yammi is air cooled, which can be a pain in hot weather in city driving, but looks as if it would be a little more comfortable of a ride. You are the judge of his riding skills and emotional maturity, and have already made the decision on getting him a bigger bike. He can hurt himself on a 250 just as much as a 750 or a 500. Both bikes appear to be cosmetically in very good shape, but as brought out, how about mechanically? Check date codes on the tires, and do indeed look in the resovoirs for fluid condition.