IGNORED

Please Read! Regarding private information

Freebird

I think that the vast majority of you already know this but some may have not given it much thought one way or the other.

I do all that I can to make sure that your private information remains private here. That is why if you email another member, the email goes through the venturerider email system so that your actual email address is never displayed here. Your private emails are not given out here by me to any individual or to any company. The only way that somebody should be able to get your email address is to ask you for it. Same with your telephone numbers. Many of us have our numbers listed here for the VR Assistance list and in our profiles. Your profiles are NOT viewable by guests, expired members or (as of today) trial members. I like to give our trial members access to all the features that I can but since pretty much anybody can sign up for a trial membership, I've decided that your member information will only be viewable by other supporting members. Even at that, you have privacy options in your UserCP so that you can hide your information to everybody or make it available only to members on your "friends list", etc.

I say all of that to say this. If you are ever contacted by a ex member or guest asking you for another members email address or telephone number, please do NOT give it out. The best thing to do would be to forward the request to the member whose information is being requested and let THEM decide whether or not they wish to provide it.

I do all that I can to protect our privacy here, please help me in doing so.

Thanks much.

Don

Question:

I hope no one gets offended, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

Question after reading the post on: Please Read! Regarding private information.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56688

Can moderators read my private messages I send to other members?

I did read under Reading and Posting Messages

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_mods_admins

What are moderators and administrators?

Moderators oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other actions. Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.

Administrators are the people who have overall control of everything that happens on the board. They oversee how the board is styled, what forums to create and how to organize them, what information to require from members and who to appoint as moderators.

Question:

I hope no one gets offended, but my curiosity is getting the best of me.

Question after reading the post on: Please Read! Regarding private information.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56688

I did read under Reading and Posting Messages

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_mods_admins

What are moderators and administrators?

Moderators oversee specific forums. They generally have the ability to edit and delete posts, move threads, and perform other actions. Becoming a moderator for a specific forum is usually rewarded to users who are particularly helpful and knowledgeable in the subject of the forum they are moderating.

Administrators are the people who have overall control of everything that happens on the board. They oversee how the board is styled, what forums to create and how to organize them, what information to require from members and who to appoint as moderators.

The simple answer is yes, it would be possible for me to read your private messages if I chose to do so. All private message naturally must be retained on the server in order for you to be able to read them. Anything on the server is stored in the database so it would be possible to read your private messages.

That being said, I have absolutely no desire to do so. I don't care about anybody's personal business. It takes enough time just to read each and every post here, I sure don't have time to get into private messages also.

If anybody is concerned about that though, you can also use the "email member" option if they have their profile set to accept emails. Emails are NOT saved in the database.

The simple answer is yes, it would be possible for me to read your private messages if I chose to do so. All private message naturally must be retained on the server in order for you to be able to read them. Anything on the server is stored in the database so it would be possible to read your private messages.

That being said, I have absolutely no desire to do so. I don't care about anybody's personal business. It takes enough time just to read each and every post here, I sure don't have time to get into private messages also.

If anybody is concerned about that though, you can also use the "email member" option if they have their profile set to accept emails. Emails are NOT saved in the database.

My question was about "moderators" not the administrator.

Before we had the net I never gave out phone numbers or any info. If person 1 wanted to contact person 2 I tell person 2 to contact person 1. Never give personal info out on the web. I have no doubt the moderators of this site have the same values and would not give out or snoop into private info. I have not met Don or other moderators but I trust them with out reservation. Great job guys and thank you. Rod

Yes, that would be possible if anybody really had a desire to do so. Like I said, if it is a real concern, just use the email feature instead of the PM feature.

Thank you for that answer, it has been floating around for years. Better to ask it here then another sight, honesty is the best policy :happy34:

:7_2_104[1]:

Edited by Al Bates