IGNORED

Lesson Learned, Dealers n tires

jfoster

I thought this year I would save some $ and purchase a tire on line only to find out the local yamaha dealer won't mount it. The shop foreman said they weren't allowed to (chain of something to do with tires). Is this bs or is there some truth in this?

Personally, I think it is BS. I've bought many tires online and have never had a local dealer refuse to install them. I take my wheels off to save money and take the wheels and new tires to the dealer. I don't use the local Yamaha dealer but he would do it. The local Honda dealer just happens to do it much cheaper and while I wait.

It's about the same around here. There is one stealer that will do tires NOT puchased from them for $30.00 each....off the bike. But the last time they did a set for me they mounted one backwards and forgot to balance them. So much for them.

I go to a local independent parts shop for a lot of my stuff and a year ago they were charging $45.00 for mounting and $17.50 for balance off the bike for tires not purchased from them. I stopped in the other day to check on their prices for a new set of Avons. About $140.00 higher than Internet on the set. Ouch!

I checked on their mount and balance prices and they had dropped them to $30.00 for mount and $7.50 for balance. I commented on that and the parts guy just laughed and said "We are finally getting to use our equipment".

They were advertising a tire sale at 70% off on "select" tires. Took a look around and saw that all the "select" tires had date codes over 4 years and a couple were almost 10 years old. I'd have to guess their tire sales have not been so good. LOL!

The new sales guy was gung ho on selling me a set of "high performance" Shinkos. Best tire on the market according to him and ALL the sport bike riders love them. Well I guess if you can put a set of tires on a bike for under $150.00 bucks you can afford to do burnouts with them.

Independent shops are more willing to charge an affordable rate these days. Times are tight for them to and well, money is money. Do what people need done for a fair price and they will come back. Took some of these shops a lot of years to figure that out.

This is a very common practice around here and it is BS.

Corporate or indie, they both are reluctant to mount tires they haven't sold. One very large local indie shop here will mount tires that he doesn't sell, but he wants an extra $15 per tire to do it on top of the $30 he charges for tires you buy from him.

I finally found a small indie sport bike shop that will mount and balance for $20/tire. That is just about exactly what it's worth for a tire/wheel that I carry in, already off the bike.

The shop foreman said they weren't allowed to (chain of something to do with tires). Is this bs or is there some truth in this?

Seems to me like you answered your own question. The shop foreman said they "weren't allowed to" meaning that someone in the shop has decided that they do not want to deal with anyone that doesn't buy from them. That is THEIR choice as a business so I will say 'TRUTH' to the question, as you went away with a tire NOT mounted/balanced.

Sure, you could probably argue and maybe get them to do it for you, but quite frankly, I just assume find a different place that is happy to exchange their service for your money.

I ran a body shop for a while and we got to the point that we would not paint certain aftermarket parts that folks ordered from a specific source; our reason was that it was our experience that regardless of how we prepped the parts, the paint would chip and peel within a few weeks of the job being done. Sometimes it would even happen within HOURS of the paint job. Now we wouldn't just tell people 'no go away', we would be completely upfront honest with the folks about WHY we weren't going to paint their parts. At first we ended up doing some and have the customer sign paperwork that they accept that since they provided the parts we will not provide them with the typical paint warranty and when the paint starts to peel there will be no reparations, etc etc. But it never failed, in a few weeks when the parts started to peel they would come back in and IRATE over the 'crappy' paint work and we just got tired of it and the frivolous law suits (that we righteously won every single one, by the way) and I can only imagine that the folks driving around with paint falling off their parts were quick to blame the paint shop instead of admitting that they went with some cheap, unreliable aftermarket source.

I guess I do not fully understand your confusion at the shops refusal to mount your tire. Now if they were to claim that they were not 'legally' allowed to, that would be a completely different story as THAT would be b.s.

Hope this provides some perspective.

Now, whether I agree with the shop or not - is 1) irrelevant and 2) really cannot be determined without knowing WHY the shop won't mount the tire.

I've have always mounted them myself. I use to use PJ-1 balancer to balance the tires. Gona give Dyna Beads a try. Doing it yourself isn't hard at all, and the best thing is it free!! And we all like free!

I agree with Ken, I almost always mount and balance my own tires, even though we have a local independent shop that gladly mounts and balances your own tires for a good price. Taking off and mounting may be some work and not everyone has an air compressor, but for these high prices quoted, you could buy a small compressor and have it forever. As far as balancing. I just put the axle through the bearings and set the axle on jack stands. I have never had a problem doing this and you can pick up some weights that will clip on cheap.

RandyA

I appreciate the feed back....atleast I know its a dealers choice and not some crazy mandate. It was an E3 that I wanted to get mounted and not a C/T.

I just had E3's installed by my local Y dealer. Dropped the tires off and then rode the bike over the next morning. $90 bucks out the door. It runs about $30 bucks per tire off the bike around here, so I figured for the extra $30 bucks is was worth having them remove the tires. Dropped the bike off, went and had breakfast at a cafe down the street, and the scoot was ready to go when I got back. :thumbsup2:

I just had E3's installed by my local Y dealer. Dropped the tires off and then rode the bike over the next morning. $90 bucks out the door. It runs about $30 bucks per tire off the bike around here, so I figured for the extra $30 bucks is was worth having them remove the tires. Dropped the bike off, went and had breakfast at a cafe down the street, and the scoot was ready to go when I got back. :thumbsup2:

Condor, if I may ask, do you buy your tires online and have them shipped to your home or buy local and just pick them up? Learning how to do it myself sounds like a project for the future, but having someone professional do it at your prices is worth it!

thanks!

BigDawg

Condor, if I may ask, do you buy your tires online and have them shipped to your home or buy local and just pick them up? Learning how to do it myself sounds like a project for the future, but having someone professional do it at your prices is worth it!

thanks!

BigDawg

I get all my tires online. Lately it's been Jake Wilson in Utah. That's where I picked up the E3's. Memory fades, but I think the front and back cost $220 on the doorstep with the free shipping. So total ran a tad over $300 mounted and balanced on the bike. MOF the local Y dealer didn't even know about the E3, but liked what they saw.

I buy my tires on line, but I take the tires off and go to a local car tire dealer to have then mounted and balanced for $27, have been doing this for fifteen years. They also fix flats, puts a boot on the inside. Just call around to find one.

tew47

I buy my tires on line, but I take the tires off and go to a local car tire dealer to have then mounted and balanced for $27, have been doing this for fifteen years. They also fix flats, puts a boot on the inside. Just call around to find one.

tew47

Consider yourself lucky. I asked all the local auto tire shops, and not one was able to do motorcycle tires.

I agree with Ken, I almost always mount and balance my own tires, even though we have a local independent shop that gladly mounts and balances your own tires for a good price. Taking off and mounting may be some work and not everyone has an air compressor, but for these high prices quoted, you could buy a small compressor and have it forever. As far as balancing. I just put the axle through the bearings and set the axle on jack stands. I have never had a problem doing this and you can pick up some weights that will clip on cheap.

RandyA

Hey Randy. Harbor Freight now has the stick-on weights.