I started my 89 Venture this afternoon and left it running at idle sped to warm up--came back a few minutes later and noticed a werrrrrring sound coming from the lower front of engine--sounded very strange so I began investigating while it was running--after a few minutes it just "shut down"-at about this same time I noticed that my "starter button" had stuck "in" when I started the bike----OK---what do you guys think I ruined when this happened----I tried to restart it and nothing----the battery was hot as fire and showed no charge--i have taken it out and placed it on battery tender charge for tonight---I was just wondering what I might have shorted out or burnt up when the Starter button stuck in......thanks.............Larry

I started my 89 Venture this afternoon and left it running at idle sped to warm up--came back a few minutes later and noticed a werrrrrring sound coming from the lower front of engine--sounded very strange so I began investigating while it was running--after a few minutes it just "shut down"-at about this same time I noticed that my "starter button" had stuck "in" when I started the bike----OK---what do you guys think I ruined when this happened----I tried to restart it and nothing----the battery was hot as fire and showed no charge--i have taken it out and placed it on battery tender charge for tonight---I was just wondering what I might have shorted out or burnt up when the Starter button stuck in......thanks.............Larry

Not really sure how the battery will weather that incident.

I would be concerned about the windings in the starter though. They had to receive as much current as the battery did.

Here is a link to a thread about cleaning the switch that stuck.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42433

Gary

Edited by dingy

Aside from the battery, I would be very concerned about the starter brushes. If the starter windings survived the heat of the long run, the brushes are probably very well worn down, and I would recommend at the minimum, a disassembly inspection, with thoughts toward brush replacement. Running a starter with worn out brushes WILL destroy an otherwise servicable communitators (armature)

I would start by do ing just what you are doing.

Let everything cool off first.

Check the water level in the battery, if it that type

Then put the battery on a slow charge. Check the fluid again after charging.

Put the battery back in an see what you have left.

It is possible that you did not do to much damage to the brushes since there was no load on the starter, it was just spinning.

If you are lucky, it just stopped when the battery no longer had enough power to hold in the solenoid. The charging system at idle would not put out near enough power to run the starter, even with no load on the starter, so it ran the battery down. The charging system

Worst case would be a fried battery, and starter.

I hope you are lucky.

As soon as that battery cools down you need to get it on a charger (2A for 12 hours), most tenders won't charge a deeply discharged battery. If it spends any time deep discharged it'll be junk for sure. If it's low on electrolyte just add enough distilled water to cover the plates - the water level will rise as it charges. Bring it up to normal level (if you need to) after it charges.

Once the button is unstuck I'd try it. If it'll crank normally you know that the commutator and windings are probably ok. If not have the battery checked out. If the battery is good you probably have a major starter rebuild in your future.

Finally, I'd have a look at the starter brushes to make sure they still had usable length.

Nope, the side cover doesn't have anything to do with it. The big magnet in the rotor will fight you trying to pull it off. If you got it at all loose you might end up with an oil leak if you don't clean it up and replace the gasket.

Unfortunately, to get the starter off you're going to have to get the thermostat housing out of the way. As a practical matter this means pulling the radiator too.

You're sure you have a good battery in there? You can hear the starter relay click? Battery voltage tests 12.5V + AFTER you try to engage the starter?