IGNORED

Motorcycles on ice - Not good

1 Canuck

Video reminded me that spring coming and the unexpected hazards. Great camera work, made me miss ridin'; too bad for this guy on his Vision and why wasn't he wearing his leathers? :confused24:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD3MuL99r9U&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - My Crash on Mt Lemmon or be alert on ice.wmv[/ame]

I feel his pain. I went down last spring after hitting about 16" of crushed stone. I wasn't going fast as the chart below will show (logged in my Zumo)but I tell ya my leathers got a good going over including one of my boots. I won't dare go out without dressing for the occasion ! I had approx $4000 in damage

Keith

I have no heart burn over what he was wearing. We all choose our level of risk and it's a highly individual choice. But the crash was totally self inflicted. You can see in the video as he goes down that he had his fingers on the brake lever.

This little bit of ice, on a level, mostly straight road should not have been a crash. No brakes and maybe pull the clutch, and he could have sailed right thru.

:Venture::7_6_3[1]:This guy must have been fresh on in riding. Right though, it was at least an ugley bike. And he was riding too fast for conditions, too, and often rode through other shadowed areas he could have avoided. Here in CO this accident is one of the reasons I only ride in the foot hills till about the first of may.

However, Sat > Tues, starting at 50 degrees and up to 57: Yep, I'm OUT and on. I also will be wearing full gear, as I do through the spring, summer and fall, except when to do so creates a dangerous heat zone. And when it's is REALLY hot I wear a T-shirt under a light zip up jacket soaked in water; I also soak my head. Then I gradually unzip, ... it's like air conditioning! But only up to 90.

All stay up and well! And yep, I ride in all directions except up and down. LOL

'

JackZ

:fingers-crossed-emo

It's funny...I saw this vid yesterday and while I was out riding today (in a T-shirt, 80 degrees and sunny) I decided to stop in the Victory dealership to take a look at this 'ugly' bike. It turns out, the guy is local here in Tucson. He had called the dealership before going on his ill-fated ride up Mount Lemon to tell them he had a new toy (the helmet cam) and that he would stop by on the way back and show them. I like to ride Mount Lemon myself, but I go up there when it's 105 in the shade cuz it'll be 30 degrees cooler up there.

By the way, I agree that the Vision is ugly. But I really liked the Cross Country. I thought the tranny was a little clunky. It had a very loud 'thunk' every gear change up or down. If that happened on my Venture, I'd pull over to see what was broke. It did have a very comfortable riding position though with my feet well forward. It also has a very wide power band. Cruising along at 50 in 4th gear, I was barely turning 2K rpms (on my Venture, I'm turning almost 3K in top gear at that speed). But, if I gave the throttle a twist, it would grunt and go! Engine seemed quite powerful and more than adequate for a bike that weighs the same as the Venture but with >500cc's of additional displacement. Very low seat height at just over 26" allowed me to flat foot at stops...with my knees bent! Here's the weird part...it has a painted metal gas tank that sits over the engine! What a concept! ;-)

It was a fun ride and a great day for riding. I feel kinda bad for all you poor saps that live in the frozen north...:stirthepot:

More than once I've ended up using my feet like outriggers when I've be surprised by ice and even snow.:scared:

One time I rode my bike to work one clear morning and it snowed during the day!

I had to ride about 15 miles in 2" of snow.:doh:

You have to physically hold the bike up as it squirms under you.:pushups:

It was a 900 Seca with a full faring and bags...but still lighter than the 83 VR :superman:

Not sure I could do it anymore! (or would want to!)

Like someone suggested...if you get surprised by ice, pull in the clutch put your feet down and coast thru it if you can.

If you don't pull the clutch...it probably will just spin the back wheel out from under you .

Less resistance = spinning tire.

Never touch the brakes either!