IGNORED

POll on current darksiders

CaptainJoe

I have 20,000 on the kumho now, and it has begun to show wear, I hope to get aleast 35,000 miles or more, the cobra just over 18,500 and still has good tread on it.

I have not had any problems with wobble except the time I let the kumho get down to 20 psi, but as soon as I pumped it back up to 32 it was fine.

Will continue to run the ct on back as long as the size is available.

Gregg

the most wasted day is one which you have not laughed or loved.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many Ventureriders are currently on the darkside a.k.a rear car tire?

What front tire do you use?

For informational purposes only.

Not trying to start something.

PLease do not reply if you are not running on a rear car tire a.k.a. the darkside.

Thanks Joe

in my sig

Regarding motorcycle tires, I am not a very knowledgeable person (though on other topics I know EVERYTHING!).

I am surprised to see anyone even considering putting car tires on a motorcycle. I understand that motorcycle tires are made of a softer, stickier rubber, which provides a little better traction. This is something that is much needed with 50% of the wheels fitted to most cars.

I can understand that, given the harder compound, car tires would last longer. But there must be a cost in terms of grip on the road.

I am sure that the responses from the knowledgeable folks on this fantastic site will go a long way to fill the lamentable gap in my education.

Cheers!

Regarding motorcycle tires, I am not a very knowledgeable person (though on other topics I know EVERYTHING!).

I am surprised to see anyone even considering putting car tires on a motorcycle. I understand that motorcycle tires are made of a softer, stickier rubber, which provides a little better traction. This is something that is much needed with 50% of the wheels fitted to most cars.

I can understand that, given the harder compound, car tires would last longer. But there must be a cost in terms of grip on the road.

I am sure that the responses from the knowledgeable folks on this fantastic site will go a long way to fill the lamentable gap in my education.

Cheers!

It isn't a harder compound, just a different one.

Over on the Darksiders forum a member tested the hardness of a large number of car tires and M/C tires with a Durometer. Of all of the tires he tested he never found a car tire that was harder than any M/C tire. It's been some time since I read that thread and he may have found a harder C/T since, but I doubt it.

My experience... no comparison on traction. The Kumho on my bike grips better than the M/C tire ever would. Braking, cornering and wet.

The subject is pretty contentious. Everyone has an opinion. Some are based on experience and some are based on a ride around the block and some are based on nothing. Most negative opinions are from those in the last two categories. There have been a few that put some miles on a C/T that went back to a M/C tire but not many.

I don't think that is a fair statement. There are a number of opinions from folks who DID try it and went back. Even the results of the poll indicated that about 32% went back to a motorcycle tire after experimenting with the car tire. You are correct, many have an opinion and some have never tried it for an extended amount of time but to say that most who don't like it fall into the latter two categories is simply not correct.

:) As I said... contentious.

I gave it some thought... and it still seems to me that a lot of the negative comments come from those that have never even sat on a C/T bike. They just "know because they know" that it can't be a good thing to put a car tire on a motorcycle and they need everyone to know that. In fact, one of the most trusted and respected members here used to routinely speak on the evils of car tires on bikes when the subject came up. To the point of coming within a word or two of calling me a liar a couple of times when I would give my experiences. And the best that I ever got from him on his CT experience was that he had ridden one.. once. In his defense, I'm sure he believes what he says and is just trying to keep everyone safe.

I will agree that of the members here that have actually bought and installed a C/T and then went back, the 32% figure is probably close. And I will agree that some people/bikes have a negative experience with it. Some bikes end up with a high speed wobble and some people think it feels different. Every bike is different and every person is different. For me, it's been a good thing.

Sorry for the thread hijack. I didn't expect answering a question to get so far off the original intent of the thread.

from what I've read - it seems that the ones that tried a CT and went back to a MT are ones that are intent on pushing the envelope with regard to HARD riding.

I say hard but I guess the real description would be anything other than cruising at legal speed limits and cornering at cruiser as opposed to cornering like a road racer on a closed course.

I really like my Kumho, it has a comfortable ride for MY style of riding. A CT WILL NOT fit everybody because of their style of riding.

...The subject is pretty contentious. Everyone has an opinion. Some are based on experience and some are based on a ride around the block and some are based on nothing. Most negative opinions are from those in the last two categories. There have been a few that put some miles on a C/T that went back to a M/C tire but not many.

When I tried the Darkside a couple of years ago I found very little real information. The few folks that ran CT's all swore that CT's were terrific with no downside while the naysayers for the most part claimed instant destruction of the motorcycle and rider. Given that, I tried it for myself. I made a couple of fairly detailed posts about my experience. Can a person ride with a CT on their motorcycle? Certainly, but for me a CT requires giving up too much of the handling characteristics I want from a motorcycle.:backinmyday:

Edited by OB-1

My intent on starting this poll was so that I, and possibly others, could make an informed decision if they were thinking about the possibility of running a car tire.

I though it would be Kind of nice to know how many tried this and didn't like it and vice versa.

Based on the data collected, I am going to buy a Kumho tire and try it...

I also believe there is something to the " pushing the envelope group" that may take tires among other things to their limits.

I don't ever ride over 85 mph and even then, I'm probably passing someone. I'm not overly aggressive in the turns either. Hey, this is a touring bike, not a crotch rocket...

So, with all of that in mind I'm going to give it a try.

Now i need to pick a wide front tire that gets +20,000 mile so I can match up width profiles on both tires.:cool10:

Now i need to pick a wide front tire that gets +20,000 mile so I can match up width profiles on both tires.:cool10:

Just my experience... but I still have the factory front size tire and for me the bike handles just like it did when I had a M/C tire on back. Your handling will probably suffer if you try to go wider than stock on front, even if it would fit under the fender.

Good to know. BigBoyinMS

I just dont want to go to a narrower front tire than what I have now. I believe the width helps overcome many of the imperfections in the road. comes from years of riding a 10 speed bike...but thats another story

How wide is your front tire compared to your kumho?

I remember those conversations about the car tire on a bike. Not pretty at all. I believe I was one of the first to mention I had a car tire on my Venture. I had car tires on my older Harley's, and I believe I was called a lier because a car tire would not fit on a Harley. I'm on my 2nd TA Radial and I'm very pleased with the way the bike handles, and Robin loves the plush ride. After the break-in at 35 psi, I have lowered the tire to 32 psi, and thats 2up. I just replaced the front Metzler with a Dunlap E3, both stock size.

I remember those conversations about the car tire on a bike. Not pretty at all. I believe I was one of the first to mention I had a car tire on my Venture. I had car tires on my older Harley's, and I believe I was called a lier because a car tire would not fit on a Harley. I'm on my 2nd TA Radial and I'm very pleased with the way the bike handles, and Robin loves the plush ride. After the break-in at 35 psi, I have lowered the tire to 32 psi, and thats 2up. I just replaced the front Metzler with a Dunlap E3, both stock size.

I believe you were the first and I was the 2nd to put car tires on our Ventures and you only beat me because you received your tire first!! Yeah, I remember the good ole days and the "debates". :whistling:

edit... Just for shiggles, I went back to some of the first threads. It appears that "oldman" was the first and I was the 2nd. It's kinda sad to go through those posts and see all the members who are no longer with us on the forum.

Edited by flb_78

Good to know. BigBoyinMS

I just dont want to go to a narrower front tire than what I have now. I believe the width helps overcome many of the imperfections in the road. comes from years of riding a 10 speed bike...but thats another story

How wide is your front tire compared to your kumho?

The Kumho is 165/80R15 and the front is the stock 150/80-16.

Just looked at my factory tires...

front:

6" wide

Dunlop 404F

75R-000367

150/60-16 MC 71H

Rear:

+6 5/8" wide

Dunlop D404

P2363 M2

150/90B-15 MC 74H

I'd say there isn't much room on either side of the front tire.

Someone said the got 20,000 miles out of a Avon front..

What does the dunlop E3's get?

well i belive i came in there somewhere around # 4 or #5 to go to the darkside. but who's counting. and now i'am running 2 c/t's on the back of the bike and a darksider i will always be. o'course i now have a rsv trike. just switch out the metzs front tire to the avon croba, so i now have radials on three paws. (motor trike preventative maintance states: tire pressure should be 18-24 psi depending on geographic location and road conditions. front tire pressure should be 42 psi.)

but all in all folks i have always stated that the darkside is not for everyone. some folks have tried it and they did not like it. that is ok, we that have tried it and it's working for us. JUST BE SAFE and happy with whatever tires you use.

reguards

don c.

Just my 2 cents worth here. When I first heard about using a Khumo CT I thought "why not, the Harleys used to use something like this a long time ago". After reading and talking to a lot of you on this site I decided I was going to try it. Well, as it turns out when I got it on I thought this is going to be great!! Several of you gave me a lot of good advice for which I am very grateful. BUT as time passed I soon learned that even at a slow speed of 50-60 mph I could actually induce a wobble by simply alternating pressure from one floorboard to the other. I think this was because the sidewalls of the CT were more flexible than a MT. After riding to a M&E in Savannah one weekend I soon found out that the flexing was terrible on the interstate where they had grooved the pavement. I adjusted up the air pressure , lowered the air pressure, tightened steering head bearings, went to a different front tire, removed the leveling links, adjusted front and rear shock pressure, checked swingarm bearings, and all the other things I could think of. I really wanted this to work!! And the strange thing about it was with 2 up you couldn't beat it. No wobble whatsoever. When I rode single, it just liked to have driven me nuts, so after about 1500 miles I took it off and went back to the MT. I appllaud those of you that have it all figured out!! But for me, I just couldn't ever get back to even close to the MT. That's not to say I won't try again one day but who knows?

• 2 months later...

Running a BF Goodrich Radial T/A on the back with double-sided whitewalls. Put it on last October. I went to Diamond Back Vintage Tire and asked if they could put whitewalls on both sides. They said they could, but it cost almost twice the amount. Still, it was around $200 dollars which is not much more than a good Avon. I love the tire and I love the look of the wide whitewall! They can put whatever size whitewall you want on it, so I had them put about 2 1/4 '' on it.

It took me a while to find the perfect pressure so it didn't flex too bad or wobble, but with around 42 to 44psi, it is actually steadier than my old Dunlop and does not hop. Yes, I do notice the grooves on the pavement a little more, but who has never driven a car with wider tires and not felt the road better. The first time I scraped my pegs with this tire, I scared myself because I wasn't expecting it. It is so much easier to maneuver than with the bike tire at low speeds, at least to me. It does want to wobble over about 90 mph while taking slow curves, but how fast do you really want to go? On straights, I've been with some buddies and gotten over 100mph (allegedly, right?) and had no wobble. Andthis may not be new for most of you, but I've also learned that if it does happen to wobble, to push forward on both sides of the handle bars; helps straighten it out for me. I'm sorry that some of you couldn't find the sweet spot with your CT. But after 2500 good miles so far, I'll never go back.

Edited by txrider
add info, fix typo

• 6 months later...

Just put the car tire on the rear a few days ago. I read all there was to read on the darksider forum.

With only 100 miles, I'm still in the "check it out" stage. Did have to adjust the tilt of the sidecar, and it rides great. Makes sense with the sidecar rig as I don't lean the same as a 2-wheeler. I haven't had it over 65 mph either.

Then again, I'm new to sidecars and bikes as a driver, so it's all an experiment at this stage!

:cool10:

This is very interesting topic. I'm courious to find but I would wait till my new tires with less than 7000 miles needs replacing. But at the rate I put on miles and my age, I'll probably never find out. Well maybe not never, for I could go the trike conversion when my 91 VR gets to heavy for my aging muscles. But then I would never know the true experience.

Wouldn't mind tring someones 89 or 91 MKII with C/T on some day.