IGNORED

Best southern state for a quick long weekend trip from Canada? Comments opinions

shikano53

Hi,

Now this might be a crazy idea but I figured it was worth a shot. My buddy and I live in Calgary, Alberta and we are both getting really antsy to go for a ride so we are wondering what would be a good destination where we could fly to from Calgary, on Thursday, February 17, rent a couple of bikes, (Harleys most likely because I don't know anyone else who rents bikes) Ride Friday, Saturday and Sunday and fly back to Calgary on Monday.

I am thinking Phoenix or Palm Springs California but I'm way open to opinions and suggestions for best bang for the buck for a short but intense three days of riding.

Places, roads we could ride, dealers who rent bikes.

All ideas/thoughts appreciated.

Chris in Red Deer, (Calgary) Alberta

I would say Florida actually. Phoenix has had snow this year and southern CA has had rain at times pretty heavy. Since you aren't sure what the weather will be like when you go FL would be my guess as a better deal for good weather.

What ever you decide good luck and I hope you enjoy your trip.

Margaret

Well Sir, I have not looked at tickets, pricing or anything, but you might want to at least consider the Texas Hill Country (fly into San Antonio). Guarantee you would enjoy riding the Three Sisters. Absolutely three full days of fun. I could meet you down there and play tour guide . . .

Goose

We had Air Canada seat sale flights return outta Regina roundtrip to Miami for about 450 bucks a couple of weeks ago.

I am sure theres gotta be places down there to rent a bike at, and the roads looked pretty good too, but a lot of what I saw looks pretty flat, its kinda like saskatchewan with more water around and warmer winters.

IMHO the riding is more scenic in West Coast California, if youre getting into San Francisco or Sacramento gets you into a lot of scenic places pretty quick although the weather isnt as warm as Florida, and possibly a bit wetter.

Here is a link to some Motorcycle roads http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

Brian

Well Sir, I have not looked at tickets, pricing or anything, but you might want to at least consider the Texas Hill Country (fly into San Antonio). Guarantee you would enjoy riding the Three Sisters. Absolutely three full days of fun. I could meet you down there and play tour guide . . .

Goose

:sign yeah that:

Goose

Thanks everyone for the great comments. Goose I will look into flights to San Antonio tonight and see what is the cheapest I can find. Any Harley Dealers there to rent bikes from?

Or a Goldwing if Honda rents.

Thanks for the information.

Chris

Sorry, I can't help with the bike rentals - I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, not San Antonio. But that does give you more options - make sure to check for tickets to DFW as well as San Antonio. If you can save money flying in here, we can just ride down to the Hill Country together. Let me know if I need to look for bike rental options in this area.

You will probably want to stay in Kerrville. If your plans firm up, we can talk about the details. I imagine we will probably find a number of other riders to join us if you come down. Althogh Texas is a BIG place, the Hill Country is centrally located enough for lots of people to join us if the weather is looking good.

Goose

Well, we ALMOST deserve - been an ice storm here this week. Still about 14 degrees outside now, forecast is for 9 degrees tonight.

I got up this morning and found a couple of pipes frozen in the attic - same ones that froze and totally destroyed my entire house while I was on vacation six years ago! At least this time I was here and manged to get the water flowing in them again before the pipes split!!!

We are not supposed to get above freezing until Friday, or maybe even Saturday.

Goose