IGNORED

Want a new helmet, Advice?

mmoffitt

I'm looking at getting a couple of new helmets for the wife and I. We usually wear half helmets. We would like to start using the headsets since we have the RSV. This is the helmet we like that the stealership has...I like the flipdown sunshades...Anyone have experience with this or suggestions for another one like it?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/6973/ITEM/Scorpion-EXO-100-Solid-Helmet.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Thanks!

I've never used one of them and am personally not a fan of half helmets but I can tell you that the Scorpion helmets get great reviews. I did a Google search on that particular model and it too gets great reviews. Some rate it as the best half helmet on the market. It does look good. I see that New Enough also sells it but the prices are about the same I think.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/browse/search?query=EXO+100

Don

I've got two of the Scorpion exo100's, I love it, flip down sunshade works good, and the zip out ear flap "thingy" (technical term) is great when it starts to get hot. Can't beat the amount of air that goes through it. They do have a place to insert ear speakers but you would have to leave the zip out "thingy" in place.:thumbsup2: I believe I paid 109.00 for each of mine from Comp. acc.

We both have that same helmet. They are great. The only problem, is you have to trim the plastic on J&M headsets, to get them to fit. Even after that, the headsets don't sit exactly on the ear where they're supposed to be.

I don't regret buying them. They are nice and comfortable, and we love the drop down sunshades.

Guest scarylarry

I owned one and sold it to someone on here, I hated it never felt that comfortable to me..

I like the 3/4 better and will use a full face when it is cold, outside of that 3/4 for me...

Had mine for about a month now. Love it!! About to install Sena wireless headset http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-intercoms/2010-motorcycle-intercom-comparison.htm and try those, hopefully this weekend! Bought locally for $99 deal otherwise would have gone through fleabay. I believe if you start tracking some on ebay you will land one with a good deal. Cannot beat no tax and free shipping!

The sun visor is rather cool and like that fact that it stores out of the way. I only use it during rain and it is adequate for that. I just ordered a clear visor for $5 from ebay since I don't need tinted in the rain!

I have a HJC FS 2 half helmet because it's one of a few that is vented. I use a headset that sellers on Ebay call " behind the head Venture headset or Harley behind the headset"

The hetmet has a visor that will not rattle when the snaps get old and a removable liner for cleaning. I HAVE put my liner in the washer to clean without any problems.

Price is anywhere from $70 -100. Retail is about $130. ....I think.

I too have this helmet and like it alot. However there is one thing I was/am disappointed with. I bought it primarily for the flip down/up visor so I could go without riding glasses if I wish, and it works great, as long as it is not raining. I got caught in a toad strangler and the visor did not help at all with keeping the water out of my face. (As hard as it was raining I don't know if anything could have helped.) I was hoping it would be a lot better. Other than this it is the best helmet I have owned and well worth the price. It fits good and wears well. I would not hesitate to buy another one.

I would advise you to find one in a store somewhere and try it on for size before buying, if you are ordering off the web. (I had to order mine because the store did not have the color I was wanting). The sizing, to me, was somewhat off compared to my other helmets. I took a medium when I was expecting to take a large.

Edited by jrcain32

Thanks for all the replies guys! I like the look and functionality of the Scorpion...I think we are going to try them....my main concern is that they will get pretty hot in the summer since we will need to leave the zippered thingy in for the headsets...but I don't guess it will be any worse than a 3/4 or full helmet would be...got another couple of months until we can do any real riding, so I'll keep an eye out on ebay...

check out.. www.leatherup.com

I'm looking at getting a couple of new helmets for the wife and I. We usually wear half helmets. We would like to start using the headsets since we have the RSV. This is the helmet we like that the stealership has...I like the flipdown sunshades...Anyone have experience with this or suggestions for another one like it?

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/6973/ITEM/Scorpion-EXO-100-Solid-Helmet.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

Thanks!

I also have the Scorpion and love it. However, I had problems with installing the with the standard J&M headset. The ear pieces are a very tight fit in the pockets on the helmet, and the only way I could secure the mike was with Velcro... which worked OK.

I just bought two HJC CS-5N helmets for the headsets. I will use the Scorpion when riding alone.

+1 on the size thing. My HJC helmets have all been large, the Scorpion is Medium.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I like the look and functionality of the Scorpion...I think we are going to try them....my main concern is that they will get pretty hot in the summer since we will need to leave the zippered thingy in for the headsets...but I don't guess it will be any worse than a 3/4 or full helmet would be...got another couple of months until we can do any real riding, so I'll keep an eye out on ebay...

We don't leave the zippered thingies in for the headsets. I unzipped mine and pulled it off the helmet the day I bought it, and have never put it back in.

Monty,

I guess I thought the headset speakers went into the zippered thingy, not the helmet...are the pockets in the helmet itself? That would make big difference for my decision...I guess I need to go to the stealership and check it out again and also find my size...

which 3/4 HJC are you using? We stopped by the stealership today to try some on so we know which sizes to order...I think we have decided to get the 3/4 helmets since we both already have 1/2 helmets...and we like the noise reduction and the pocket for the headsets...

I have that Scorpion helmet. Funny thing about the flip down visor is that I never use it unless it rains. I'll take my glasses off and flip down the visor. I seem to be able to see better through that than glasses with rain drops on it.

I've never thought to put a head set on it either. I have a 3/4 helmet already set up with one so I just grab it if Ruthy is riding with me or we are riding with a group.

Anyone wearing this one HJC IS-33? Or does anyone know of another one like it that is cheaper? Specifically I like the clear shield with the integrated smoke-tinted SunShield...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/38/19161/ITEM/HJC-IS-33-Helmet.aspx?WT.ac=SLIsearch

I would try one on for fit. I personally think they're designed for short heads if that makes sense. I've got more of a long narrow face and found the ear holes were to high. I also found it was incredibly hot. I have a fulmer 3/4 with full face shield and really like it (i think thats how its spelled) and found it fits much better and the heat was not an issue (matte finish) They're both incredibly noisy if they get any kind of direct wind. I modified mine by filling in the vent holes with hot glue and created a seal around the face shield to seal the top against the helment to reduce wind noise.

I love mine. I use the neck curtin all year and do alot of riding in the south and never found it too hot. i have also not had problems with the speaker pockets. they fit the speakers tight. i've had mine for about 2-3 years.

Helmets are like seats what one person likes the other hates.

I found that it fits low on my head and the padding (without the neck curtain) irritates my ears. I took a knife and cut some of it but it still is a bother. I didn't notice it when I first started using the helmet but after some time on the saddle it became apparent. I do like to wear it if I am going through tunnels. It makes the switching of glasses a none event.

:farmer: