IGNORED

"Congratulations! You have won..."

Guest Ken8143

Guest Ken8143

Last couple of weeks I get these annoying pop-ups - first audio then the pop-up shows. Some of them announce in a voice full of excitement: "Congratulations! You have won a $1000 dollar gift certificate to Walmart" or some other place, and a count down set at somewhere around 110 seconds and the seconds click by.

Anyone else have that or hear of it? I suppose it is a scam?

And I have my pop-up blocker set so no pop-ups are supposed to, well, pop-up, but these do anyhow. Any idea how to block these ones, unless of course it is my destiny to be come rich?

Guest Ken8143

Thse things just pop up on the desk top - it is not an e-mail. I totally igore unknown source e-mails.

Maybe I should take the risk and collect all the $1,000s and go to Oz or NZ for some fun touring.

You have more than likely picked up a adware or malware from a site you visited. Look at your processes and see if anything is running that should not be. Start your computer in safe mode and do antivirus and spyware scan to see if it picks up anything.

You have more than likely picked up a adware or malware from a site you visited. Look at your processes and see if anything is running that should not be. Start your computer in safe mode and do antivirus and spyware scan to see if it picks up anything.

how is one to know what are the correct processes that should be running?

Whenever I have to look through the processes I Google all of the ones that I do not recognize as supposed to be there. The more often you do this drill the more programs you will recognize for next time.

It takes a while to do it this way, but I can usually track down the bad one and then figure out how to make it go away.

how is one to know what are the correct processes that should be running?

You can click on start, run and type MSCONFIG and enter. When the config screen pops up, click on the startup tab. Click dissable all, apply and OK. Then exit the program. You will be prompted to restart the computer. After restart you will get a screen saying "you are in msconfig mode, Do you wish to continue" click yes.

Use the computer like this for a while, go to websites where you were seeing the annoying popup. If the popup is still there you can go back the config screen and enable all.

If the popup is not there, go to msconfig screen and enable a couple of the processes by checking the box (take note of which ones you turned back on). Restart the computer and try the sites again. Still no popup, back to msconfig and enable a couple of more processes. Restart computer and check sites again. Keep repeating this process until you get the popup.

When you get the popup, go back to msconfig and dissable the last process that you enabled (or last few, one at a time if you did a few at once).

Now that you have found which process is giving you the problem. You can go to add/remove programs and uninstall it. Or you can simply leave it unchecked in msconfig.

It's a bit of a long process, but usually works.(((Usually)))

I only got them on one particular website, so figured it was something new to the site. Every time I'd click on a link an ad would pop up in another tab. Kill it and I'd be where I wanted to go. I attributed it to the website then my firewall did an auto scan, and they disappeared. Life goes on.

I haven't gotten any pop-ups but the day before Xmas Eve when I came home I saw that I had 6 missed calls from the same number. I usually ignore anyone's number that I don't recognize....I'm on the phone all day at work so talking on the phone don't interest me at all. The phone rang again while I was home so I figured someone wanted to talk to me bad....now my number is very close to the washer/stove repair guy so I get a lot of wrong numbers. He started this spiel about I had won $1000 and was trying to get in touch with me.....I didn't pay a whole lot of attention and let him go on for awhile cause I didn't remember buying a ticket....I buy tickets and consider them to be a donation mostly and never really pay attention.....So any way I guess one of the guy's a work sold me the ticket and put my name on it for me and I did win the $1000.

So it was a nice surprise and I was able to do some unexpected Xmas shopping for me!

Keith