IGNORED

beads in tire balancers

I found some past articles in the various forums about these tiny beads inside the tire to smooth out the balancing, however they are a couple of year old information..

Has anyone been running with these beads in their tires repeatedly now for a few years who could let us know how's it been working out? Worth the while, make any difference?

Cheers

That test with the tire balancer may not be valid.

1. Tire balancers typically go at a pretty low rpm. you need to ask for a specific different test to get a balance at a higher speed.

2. Most machines give a balance after only a few revolutions. I doubt the beads would do their job in that short a time. I have no idea if you can make the machine take MORE time to check the weight, but it seems that the balance beads would take more than just a few low speed revolutions to do their job.

Just saying! :)

I have been running them for 16500 miles and have had NO problems what so ever. Tires are lasting longer then before the beads. I love them. I change tire on the side and it makes the job so much easier and faster. They also can be re-used in your next tire.

I would never go back to the Lead anymore.

As of Now I have 16500 miles on my tires and they still look very good . No cupping at all and I pull a trailer 90% of the time.

Just my thoughts

:thumbsup:

Guest scarylarry
I have been running them for 16500 miles and have had NO problems what so ever. Tires are lasting longer then before the beads. I love them. I change tire on the side and it makes the job so much easier and faster. They also can be re-used in your next tire.

I would never go back to the Lead anymore.

As of Now I have 16500 miles on my tires and they still look very good . No cupping at all and I pull a trailer 90% of the time.

Just my thoughts

:thumbsup:

So you are saying there is no weights at all on the wheel?

Also what brand of tire are you using?

Thanks for the replies gents. Thanks SkyDoc, that was one thread I hadn't seen in my search even though it was the longest and most comprehensive of them all.. Darn search engine!

Local guy here who uses the Dynabeads tells me that he gets them to balance the wheel with weight as per norm and then adds the beads afterward. He had at one time taken the weights off but felt the bike needed to travel a short distance to gets the beads to do their job. Not a HUGE problem but depending on the initial imbalance.. it was annoying on the one tire.

All in all he found it much smoother with them in the tire than without. From what he tells me, after 20,000 miles on his rear tires there was no sign of any damage or wear inside the tire from the beads.

Do they REALLY work? I don't know, but I understand how they would work (don't ask how to explain it.. ). Similar systems were or are still in use in aviation for vibration dampening.. same principle.

One of the mentions in the thread was about re-balancing tires after so many miles, say half life tires have less rubber than original when the wheel was balanced. I actually had an opportunity to test this out this year. Goose was gracious enough to set me up with a new E3 when I was down there visiting.. 12,000 miles later I had to remove the wheel for some other maintenance and took the wheel down to the local shop to re-balance it.. why, not, might make it smoother etc.. but the wheel was still spot on. Impressive.

I think I may try it. It CAN'T hurt.. if it helps, then it's a bonus.

Anything to get the vibes out..

So you are saying there is no weights at all on the wheel?

Also what brand of tire are you using?

I had a Michelin Pilot on my GL1800 for 29000 miles on the front 0, none, nada, zip external weights, just the Dyna Beads in the tire. Now I have a BT-45 on it with the beads in it. The Venture has a Continental with beads. I think they work great.

Guest scarylarry
I had a Michelin Pilot on my GL1800 for 29000 miles on the front 0, none, nada, zip external weights, just the Dyna Beads in the tire. Now I have a BT-45 on it with the beads in it. The Venture has a Continental with beads. I think they work great.

front 0, none, nada, zip external weights

So are you saying you have no weights..........:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Now, did you notice any appreciable difference when rolling away from a stop that it took a moment or two for the beads to kick in? I gather the wheel has to spin up to get the beads rolling around to the proper spots in order to work properly, hence why the local guy here keeps his weights on.. it's smooth when pulling away and then gets smoother as he rolls down the highway streets etc..

then again, you prolly wouldn't notice an imbalanced wheel at lower speeds anyway.. Interesting indeed.

Now, did you notice any appreciable difference when rolling away from a stop that it took a moment or two for the beads to kick in? I gather the wheel has to spin up to get the beads rolling around to the proper spots in order to work properly, hence why the local guy here keeps his weights on.. it's smooth when pulling away and then gets smoother as he rolls down the highway streets etc..

then again, you prolly wouldn't notice an imbalanced wheel at lower speeds anyway.. Interesting indeed.

I doubt it is in balance as he starts off. The location of the beads would be at the bottom and would knock the balance off. I don't notice any imbalance on startup. I assume that at slow speeds the imbalance isn't noticeable and by the time you reach the speed at which it is the beads have found their spot.

Dennis

I doubt it is in balance as he starts off. The location of the beads would be at the bottom and would knock the balance off. I don't notice any imbalance on startup. I assume that at slow speeds the imbalance isn't noticeable and by the time you reach the speed at which it is the beads have found their spot.

Dennis

:sign yeah that:

Dennis

Partly correct.. don't forget that at a stop, gravity pulls the beads to the bottom of the wheel, at the lowest point.. as soon as the wheel starts to rotate, then centrifugal force (and friction against the inside of the tire) start the beads on their spin until they settle down to the proper spots which then balances out the wheel.. this is why I was wondering if taking the weights off the wheel was noticeable or not..

I'll have to check all this out this summer for sure.. see how that works out.

Thanks for the insight.

I haven't used them yet but will on my next tire change either on the Venture or Road Star. Here is a short video on dynabeads [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg]YouTube - DynaBeads demo video by Evolution Cycles[/ame] I hope it works you you.

Probably just my luck, they (dyna beads) suck!!!!!! Had them put in on my last set of tires it was like riding a weed eater. So back to dealer I go cost the same to have them taken out and bal. as it did to change them the first time on, Probably just my luck???

Probably just my luck, they (dyna beads) suck!!!!!! Had them put in on my last set of tires it was like riding a weed eater. So back to dealer I go cost the same to have them taken out and bal. as it did to change them the first time on, Probably just my luck???

I love them and have never had a problem. My good friend and I have dyna beads in 2 Ventures, 1 HD Ultra, 1 Indian Vintage, 1 Triumph Bonneville and 1 1100 Virago. Enough said.

:farmer:

I seem to see some strongly against, and some strongly for.

How much / many or weight of beads are going in? :think: Could some be putting in to many, or maybe not enough? :confused24:

To the guys that like them. What happens when the wheel hits a "pot" hole? The beads are not attached, so I would think they would get moved out of their "spot". Do you get a wobble / bounce for a while till they settle back in? :confused24:

Just thinking out loud. I'll go back to watching now. :8:

Bryan

I put the beads in previously balanced tires late this summer, got a couple thousand miles on them. Didn't notice any real difference. I left the lead weights on.

Don't notice any out of balance at low speeds, but you probably wouldn't anyway. No change when I hit bumps that I can tell. I run E3's, and they started to cup front and back almost immediately but since putting in the beads it hasn't gotten worse. That isn't any sort of scientific test for sure, but the beads are so cheap, I thought it was worth trying.

I am thinking about going with the Centramatic balancers next time on my Wing.