IGNORED

As much as I love my bike...

Venturous Randy

I do believe I would take it all apart and sell every piece if I could get the prices being noted on ebay. I would then buy me another 1st gen, a 2nd gen and pay my house off.

I have never sold anything on ebay, so I don't know the particulars, but does it cost anything to list something if it does not sell? I am seeing things like $164 for one mirror off an 87, and we aren't even talking new here. I am also seeing many parts that most just throw or give away because there is so little need for them with outragous prices on them.

Normally, when I am surfing Venture parts on ebay, I always go "auction only" and "ending soon". Usually this sorts out most of this stuff, but being bored at lunch here at work and looking at all catagories, I am astounded at what people think they have. And, if thay are not asking rediculously high prices up front, they are wanting extremely high shipping costs.

OK, I will quit venting as I did get a TCI last week for an 84/90 1st gen for $16.50 and about $6 shipping.

RandyA

I was looking at that TCI and forgot to bid Randy. You got to watch some of them on there. If 1st Gen parts are worth that much I could buy a couple 2nd Gens. Or a bunch of 1st Gens!!!

Did you see the 1st gen over in Richmond that had an opening bid of $99 and was suposedly complete less motormount bolts? There was not a single bid on it and it was said to have only about 13,000 miles on it.

RandyA

I do believe I would take it all apart and sell every piece if I could get the prices being noted on ebay. I would then buy me another 1st gen, a 2nd gen and pay my house off.

I have never sold anything on ebay, so I don't know the particulars, but does it cost anything to list something if it does not sell? I am seeing things like $164 for one mirror off an 87, and we aren't even talking new here. I am also seeing many parts that most just throw or give away because there is so little need for them with outragous prices on them.

Normally, when I am surfing Venture parts on ebay, I always go "auction only" and "ending soon". Usually this sorts out most of this stuff, but being bored at lunch here at work and looking at all catagories, I am astounded at what people think they have. And, if thay are not asking rediculously high prices up front, they are wanting extremely high shipping costs.

OK, I will quit venting as I did get a TCI last week for an 84/90 1st gen for $16.50 and about $6 shipping.

RandyA

I saw that too and forgot to bid on it..glad someone deserving of a good deal got it!

Brian

Did you see the 1st gen over in Richmond that had an opening bid of $99 and was suposedly complete less motormount bolts? There was not a single bid on it and it was said to have only about 13,000 miles on it.

RandyA

Didn't see that one. Warden making threats if I mention buying another. Don't know whats wrong with her....

RandyA

Many of them are junkyards which I try to avoid outrageous price for 20 yr old parts that may fail. Shipping is getting high. I was looking at the Post Office Priority mail boxes the cheapest one of small size is a minimum of $10.70

They're worth more in pieces than as whole bikes. That's how Pinwall pays their bills.

When you are buying from Pinwall or any other salvage yard, you aren't really paying for a physical item as much as paying for the labor that they invest in stripping those bikes down. I'm not saying that they aren't overpriced, but I doubt that they are becoming millionaires by doing this. Seems like it would take an awful lot of labor to disassemble, clean, label, and store the hundreds of parts that come off each bike. And then to try to keep all that organized so you can find something when it sells. I'm thinking there is a lot more to it than what we might imagine.....

The reason we are seeing so many items with a high starting bid is Ebay keeps tossing out these free listing deals for a month where in the past when they wanted to drum up listings all they had to do was offer it for a couple of days. The sellers that have ebay stores jump all over those. They can list a 100 items and if one or two sell at high dollars they're way ahead of the game. The one I can't figure out is the Chinese Bike Covers. $.01 to start and $17.00 to ship. Shipping from China/HongKong isn't cheep. Probably not $17 bucks but damn close. BTW I just ordered a half dozen XXL covers that were listed as 'all weather storage', and they're doing OK. Shedding rain like a duck. I was skeptical but figured for $17.01 what the heck... The material isn't bullet proof, but is heavier than the rip-stop stuff, and if they last through the winter it's good enough for me. I also put them over the older cover...sorta doubled up. So far so good... But I digress... What really gets me steamed are the sellers that charge $150 to ship a $25 dollar item and ships for $20-$30 bucks. They're scammers, and I usually report them. And Ebay does respond.

I sell on Ebay, the free listing stuff is to get you to list. There are still fees associated with the listing ie.. # of pictures, background, borders,any additional info you add to describe the item in more detail, etc....Nothing is really free.But depending on what it is your selling those fees aren't real high, where they get you is at end of sale, you have to pay a sellers fee every month,plus a percentage of the selling price.The sellers fee is charged whether you sell anything or not.

I sell on Ebay, the free listing stuff is to get you to list. There are still fees associated with the listing ie.. # of pictures, background, borders,any additional info you add to describe the item in more detail, etc....Nothing is really free.

Free listing, and 1st pic is free. Can't get much cheaper than that..... You can also design your own template when using Turbo Lister and your own HTML coding, and there's no charge for any of the stuff you listed unless you use the extras available availabe with the online listing tool. Extra pics are $.15 ea., but in most cases one will do.

I heartlly agree Ebay has a real inflation problem, I darn near keeled over dead at some of the prices listed for obvious trash parts. It just can't cost that much to have a few low wage kids blow apart a machine and sell the bits. I have yet to get a clean used part off Ebay so cleaning can't be the cause. Salvage company owners, not the yard kids, might not look it but you can bet that many are quite well off!

Switching off rant mode now, I think I may have blown a gasket...

-JK

When you are buying from Pinwall or any other salvage yard, you aren't really paying for a physical item as much as paying for the labor that they invest in stripping those bikes down. I'm not saying that they aren't overpriced, but I doubt that they are becoming millionaires by doing this. Seems like it would take an awful lot of labor to disassemble, clean, label, and store the hundreds of parts that come off each bike. And then to try to keep all that organized so you can find something when it sells. I'm thinking there is a lot more to it than what we might imagine.....

many parts arent cleaned up

many parts arent cleaned up

My only experience with used parts from a salvage company has been with Pinwall. Maybe I've been lucky, but the half-dozen or so I have bought have not been damaged and have been relatively clean. Not as clean as new, but not requiring major cleanup work either.

Again, maybe I've just been lucky and the next time I'll get burned.

Really, though, I don't let these crazy prices bother me at all.....no one is forcing me to buy. If I don't like the price I don't bid. Problem solved. The "value" of any item is determined by the individual buyer. If the price gets too out of line the item will not sell. And then the price will drop. After all, we are not talking about life and death things here, we can always choose to not buy something. We don't have to buy bike parts or accessories in order to live.....hmmm, never mind, maybe we DO! :whistling:

My only experience with used parts from a salvage company has been with Pinwall. Maybe I've been lucky, but the half-dozen or so I have bought have not been damaged and have been relatively clean. Not as clean as new, but not requiring major cleanup work either.

Again, maybe I've just been lucky and the next time I'll get burned.

Really, though, I don't let these crazy prices bother me at all.....no one is forcing me to buy. If I don't like the price I don't bid. Problem solved. The "value" of any item is determined by the individual buyer. If the price gets too out of line the item will not sell. And then the price will drop. After all, we are not talking about life and death things here, we can always choose to not buy something. We don't have to buy bike parts or accessories in order to live.....hmmm, never mind, maybe we DO! :whistling:

True. Pinwall is pretty good and many of thier parts are not that out of line. I like them. I asked another dealer once if the part was made of gold and got a nasty graham back.

I look ar ebay regularly and would rather "buy-it-now" than bid. I don't like bidding and waiting until I have a chance to get back and see what is going on.

I have purchased a couple of things from Pinwheel and really don't have a complaint. I control what I pay. You just have to watch what shipping will cost.